3.0 whipple to F1a procharger

68gtscode

Established Member
I would never get rid of a twin screw for a centrifugal, on a manual street car... Especially one that only displaces 4.6L. The immediate throttle response of the twin screw is far more fun, in my opinion. Perhaps a drag car with an auto and loose converter could be a different story. If you don't like temps, have you installed a chiller killer?

Marvin9075

Established Member
I would never get rid of a twin screw for a centrifugal, on a manual street car... Especially one that only displaces 4.6L. The immediate throttle response of the twin screw is far more fun, in my opinion. Perhaps a drag car with an auto and loose converter could be a different story. If you don't like temps, have you installed a chiller killer?
I have not does that make a big difference? Maybe some more suspension work to help the car hook better ?

68gtscode

Established Member
I have not does that make a big difference? Maybe some more suspension work to help the car hook better ?
It will keep the intake temps way down which would help in the Texas summer. Overall, I wouldn’t spend the money on the centrifugal. If you want a lot more performance, I would spend the money on an engine build and turn up your Whipple.

Marvin9075

Established Member
It will keep the intake temps way down which would help in the Texas summer. Overall, I wouldn’t spend the money on the centrifugal. If you want a lot more performance, I would spend the money on an engine build and turn up your Whipple.
Was planning on doing some cams and switching to a 15 inch tire to help with traction … only want to build the motor if it lets go.

68gtscode

Established Member
Was planning on doing some cams and switching to a 15 inch tire to help with traction … only want to build the motor if it lets go.
What exhaust do you have? How much boost are you running and can you still spin the Whipple faster? If so, that would be easier and more cost effective than cams, and you wouldn’t impact drivability.

Either way, suspension mods and good wheels / tires would be helpful for sure. Sounds like a nice car!

Marvin9075

Established Member
What exhaust do you have? How much boost are you running and can you still spin the Whipple faster? If so, that would be easier and more cost effective than cams, and you wouldn’t impact drivability.

Either way, suspension mods and good wheels / tires would be helpful for sure. Sounds like a nice car!
American racing long tubes and catless x pipe … and the whipple is making 23 psi so it can be spun more for sure … yeah the car is mint only has 22k on it

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Old pic from when I dailyed my 01. The soccer moms hated me.

Attachments

• SSPX0276.jpg
    SSPX0276.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 88

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yeah the heat from this thing is insane and I don’t enjoy it … i figured with the f1a that would be much less of an issue… I just remember having the vortech on my old new edge and that thing pulled strong after multiple runs … ultimately just want to be different and I rarely see cobras with these set ups and I am sure I will get hate for considering it.

And its not like ur reading it on some forum lol u have the Whipple and experience it urself.

I would look to add the F1 chiller and methanol injection. I have one on my Trackhawk and its crazy how low the intercooler temps go. U cant use water u need antifreeze cause the shit gets so cold it will freeze.... literally!

I also have it on my Redeye but it came stock there. The F1 Chiller is still used with the Redeye tho as a stage 2 setup. This is a MUST bro with either the Whipple or the Procharger. Stay away from Killerchiller they leak.

Pretty sure they have a universal setup. I know they have car specific ones but buddy ran one on his Mustang after he added a whipple.

Marvin9075

Established Member
And its not like ur reading it on some forum lol u have the Whipple and experience it urself.

I would look to add the F1 chiller and methanol injection. I have one on my Trackhawk and its crazy how low the intercooler temps go. U cant use water u need antifreeze cause the shit gets so cold it will freeze.... literally!

I also have it on my Redeye but it came stock there. The F1 Chiller is still used with the Redeye tho as a stage 2 setup. This is a MUST bro with either the Whipple or the Procharger. Stay away from Killerchiller they leak.

Pretty sure they have a universal setup. I know they have car specific ones but buddy ran one on his Mustang after he added a whipple.

I’ll look into that then …. Not sure if I should do water meth injection as well since I am already running E85

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I’ll look into that then …. Not sure if I should do water meth injection as well since I am already running E85
Def run meth. It still helps lower IAT's. I run meth on all my toys and all run on E85 as well. U mite not wanna give up that low end grunt the Whipple offers u. The F1 chiller works incredibly well.

68gtscode

Established Member
American racing long tubes and catless x pipe … and the whipple is making 23 psi so it can be spun more for sure … yeah the car is mint only has 22k on it
It sounds like you're close to Dallas... I would talk to Manny at HPP, Clint at True Street, or Travis at Gearheads- any of those guys should be able to advise you. I would generally find a way to run more boost, which would be the easiest way to make more power. Regardless, I would slap yourself in the face repeatedly until the idea of removing the Whipple for a Procharger goes away :)

Marvin9075

Established Member
It sounds like you're close to Dallas... I would talk to Manny at HPP, Clint at True Street, or Travis at Gearheads- any of those guys should be able to advise you. I would generally find a way to run more boost, which would be the easiest way to make more power. Regardless, I would slap yourself in the face repeatedly until the idea of removing the Whipple for a Procharger goes away :)
Yeah close to Dallas . Actually have talked to manny about it and he told me to stick with the whipple and throw some cams in it which is what I planned on doing until I got this idea in my head which doesn’t seem like the best lol … definitely want to add the cooling element and possibly water meth if they think it’s a good idea. Also need to get switch to a 15 inch tire to help get some traction.

68gtscode

Established Member
^ Sounds like a good plan! I have never used meth, but my brother runs it on his fully built Porsche 997 twin turbo and loves it. He makes 750/750 awhp on crappy CA 91 octane. If you've ever looked at engine that has been run on meth, it's amazing- it's like it was just assembled with zero carbon buildup!

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Like to push it to 900 and see what happens

The whipple 3.0 will do that with ease, no fuss about. If you just want to do something different, cool. What exactly are you growing old of, the instant torque and equally impressive high rpm boost maintainability?

ETA: You say you don't like the heat, what heat? When is it generator? What is your cooling setup? At 23#'s, you shouldn't be creating excessive heat.

Last edited:

ITSTOCK

Established Member
While I'm not a F1-94 I am YSI-B and I'm the only one pushing one well past anything that I've seen. I can tell you if you want a procharger it's not a easy bolt on and go application. I have so much time and money into my Vortech setup it's stupid.. Now granted I'm making 29psi and running faster than any 3.0 Whipple in the 1/8th even with misfiring, and lifting the heads..

Just be prepared, if you want it done right, you want it move out good it's not a bolt on and go application like the Whipple is.

What's your car weigh/race weight? I mean, I've been 5.4 in the 1/8 at 3642#'s at 28psi on pump e85 with the 3.0, in a full interior street car with less than ideal converter...on the first pass the car has ever made down the track.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What's your car weigh/race weight? I mean, I've been 5.4 in the 1/8 at 3642#'s at 28psi on pump e85 with the 3.0, in a full interior street car with less than ideal converter...on the first pass the car has ever made down the track.
That’s solid man congrats! I went 5.30@130 with a converter slipping 18% at 23psi and 3320lbs

I lifted the heads at mods making 28psi on the new combo. Looking for 5.0s@140+

Marvin9075

Established Member
The whipple 3.0 will do that with ease, no fuss about. If you just want to do something different, cool. What exactly are you growing old of, the instant torque and equally impressive high rpm boost maintainability?

ETA: You say you don't like the heat, what heat? When is it generator? What is your cooling setup? At 23#'s, you shouldn't be creating excessive heat.
Car currently has a fluidyne heat exchanger . Mainly sick of any time I hit the car in second it blows the tires off and partially in 3rd . Maybe some more suspension upgrades as the car has FTBR bushings in the rear , lowering springs and welded in sub frame connectors. Far as the heat i feel a decent difference after a couple small pulls on the high way far as the car pulling timing. Sure I would like to do something different but if it’s not worth the change I don’t want to make the swap . Just trying to get some opinions about the setup or if people with the 3.0 whipple have some solutions to make the car more enjoyable on the street far as traction. I have always been a big fan of the centrifugal setups as i had a couple but a much lower power levels then the 800 to 900 power range I am looking for.

Marvin9075

Established Member

Was also thinking of swapping to a 15 inch wheel with a taller tire for the street to see if would help … currently have Hoosier 335/35 drag radials on a 17 inch wheel and not the happiest with them.

dan1982

Established Member
Def run meth. It still helps lower IAT's. I run meth on all my toys and all run on E85 as well. U mite not wanna give up that low end grunt the Whipple offers u. The F1 chiller works incredibly well.
where the hell do u buy e85 in connecticuit? i never see the stuff at the gas station anywhere.

MG0h3

Established Member
Car currently has a fluidyne heat exchanger . Mainly sick of any time I hit the car in second it blows the tires off and partially in 3rd . Maybe some more suspension upgrades as the car has FTBR bushings in the rear , lowering springs and welded in sub frame connectors. Far as the heat i feel a decent difference after a couple small pulls on the high way far as the car pulling timing. Sure I would like to do something different but if it’s not worth the change I don’t want to make the swap . Just trying to get some opinions about the setup or if people with the 3.0 whipple have some solutions to make the car more enjoyable on the street far as traction. I have always been a big fan of the centrifugal setups as i had a couple but a much lower power levels then the 800 to 900 power range I am looking for.

Sounds like your biggest complaint is traction.

I’m in the same boat with a 2.9 Whipple and I’ve got a 3.0 in my spare bedroom.

I have a set of stock springs and Viking DA shocks I’m going to throw on and see how those do. I’ll go to a 16 or 15” rim if that doesn’t make a big enough difference.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread