3.0 whipple to F1a procharger

Marvin9075

Established Member
Sounds like your biggest complaint is traction.

I’m in the same boat with a 2.9 Whipple and I’ve got a 3.0 in my spare bedroom.

I have a set of stock springs and Viking DA shocks I’m going to throw on and see how those do. I’ll go to a 16 or 15” rim if that doesn’t make a big enough difference.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yeah I am hoping a 15 inch wheel with a tall tire will help with the issue

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I looooove my F1A-94 combo, so much fun on the street. I've had stock, ported eaton, kb 2.2, and twin turbos and this is the most fun combo so far. I hit about 25 psi at 6,500 rpms and with the 3.73 gears and 28" tires it is almost perfect for street traction.

Like others have said, be prepared to spend the money to set it up right. I went with the House of Boost renegade dedicated drive bracket setup for a '98 cobra to give me a short 8-rib belt, also a front mount intercooler with top exit to have shortest span of charge piping. 323 stroker and 9.8:1 cr helps a lot too, would have been even better with custom cams and bigger exhaust primaries.

312489857_1280735392714968_7421245641505071920_n.jpg

Link to an older dyno video, before the gear swap:

Last edited:

Marvin9075

Established Member
I looooove my F1A-94 combo, so much fun on the street. I've had stock, ported eaton, kb 2.2, and twin turbos and this is the most fun combo so far. I hit about 25 psi at 6,500 rpms and with the 3.73 gears and 28" tires it is almost perfect for street traction.

Like others have said, be prepared to spend the money to set it up right. I went with the House of Boost renegade dedicated drive bracket setup for a '98 cobra to give me a short 8-rib belt, also a front mount intercooler with top exit to have shortest span of charge piping. 323 stroker and 9.8:1 cr helps a lot too, would have been even better with custom cams and bigger exhaust primaries.

View attachment 1772160

Link to an older dyno video, before the gear swap:

Car sounds nasty what did it put down? That is an exactly what I am looking for fun street use . My car doesn’t go to the track and trying to do a half mile event at some point this year . How’s the drive ability on the street with it ? Any pros and cons you could share ?

MG0h3

Established Member
Every setup has is benefits.

I’ve had centri, turbo, and now my 2.9 Whipple car.

Partial to turbos for sure but some little twat tried to pull me today in his CTS on a city street. Was doing 35 in 3rd. Never downshifted and he gave up at 75. Wouldn’t have worked with any other power adder.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Car sounds nasty what did it put down? That is an exactly what I am looking for fun street use . My car doesn’t go to the track and trying to do a half mile event at some point this year . How’s the drive ability on the street with it ? Any pros and cons you could share ?
On my latest tune it made right around 800/700 to the wheels at 25 psi, pretty sure I’m hampered by exhaust so should pick up quite a bit after the next round of mods.

Driveability with my new tuner is damn near perfect, somebody that knows their way around high-hp EEC-V combos makes all the difference. I drove it 600 miles in 2 days back in October for the big LMR show in Dallas, performed flawlessly and even averaged 15 mpg on E85.

The major con to pretty much any centri is the scenario MG0h3 pointed out, not gonna win any sudden races that start while you’re cruising in high gear, definitely will need to get the rpms up first.

The pro however is traction is no problem at all, power comes on so linear it makes it very easy to manage with throttle.

Marvin9075

Established Member
On my latest tune it made right around 800/700 to the wheels at 25 psi, pretty sure I’m hampered by exhaust so should pick up quite a bit after the next round of mods.

Driveability with my new tuner is damn near perfect, somebody that knows their way around high-hp EEC-V combos makes all the difference. I drove it 600 miles in 2 days back in October for the big LMR show in Dallas, performed flawlessly and even averaged 15 mpg on E85.

The major con to pretty much any centri is the scenario MG0h3 pointed out, not gonna win any sudden races that start while you’re cruising in high gear, definitely will need to get the rpms up first.

The pro however is traction is no problem at all, power comes on so linear it makes it very easy to manage with throttle.
Yeah I would take the traction any day over spinning all the time and not putting the power down. No fun at that point . Where are you at in Texas I am part of the DFW terminator group here in north Texas. Would love to check your car out.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Yeah I would take the traction any day over spinning all the time and not putting the power down. No fun at that point . Where are you at in Texas I am part of the DFW terminator group here in north Texas. Would love to check your car out.
I’m part of the Houston group, was one of the few that came up for the LMR show.

Marvin9075

Established Member
I’m part of the Houston group, was one of the few that came up for the LMR show.
Damn that’s a a bit of a drive lol nice setup though really love the car. Making me think about the F2A set up for sure. Will have to get with HPP and get some pricing set up.

stangfreak

Established Member
Juiced46 did a whole write up on procharging the 03 cobra. He was one of the first 03 cobra's to have that setup. He explains how the lower intake manifold was not built for a centri blower and that you had to change a lot of stuff to make it work. Not a simple bolt on setup. If I am going to go through all that trouble, I am going turbo. and the turbo will make power quicker. No belts, none of that bs. That is just me. Broke7 is trapping in the 160's with his 3.0. over 1000rwhp. That was unheard of back in the day with a whipple cobra.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I can see how traction is a problem. I'm well over 1000rwhp through a Th400 and a converter that flashes to 6400, so traction on the street is not exactly ideal, even with my car that is low 1.2's at the track.

I'd suggest that instead of spending many thousands on the procharger changeover, that you instead consider MS3/Holley so that you can have traction control management. It's a worthwhile upgrade either way at these power levels. I have the MS3 and while I don't run any TC, it is relatively easy to add.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I can see how traction is a problem. I'm well over 1000rwhp through a Th400 and a converter that flashes to 6400, so traction on the street is not exactly ideal, even with my car that is low 1.2's at the track.

I'd suggest that instead of spending many thousands on the procharger changeover, that you instead consider MS3/Holley so that you can have traction control management. It's a worthwhile upgrade either way at these power levels. I have the MS3 and while I don't run any TC, it is relatively easy to add.

This is solid advice.

While there are PLENTY of fast centri cars, the Paxton I had on my 2014 coyote was boring and the never ending "belt slip" fight got old -- real fast.

Marvin9075

Established Member

I actually have an ms3 in the car … had no idea you could have traction control management with it . How does that work ? Just from running it ? I bought the car with it in it so I am not very educated on that.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I actually have an ms3 in the car … had no idea you could have traction control management with it . How does that work ? Just from running it ? I bought the car with it in it so I am not very educated on that.
You can either tap into one of the front ABS sensors or add another sensor. I think if you tap into the ABS sensor it makes the ABS system non-functional.

I added a sensor that reads the heads on the wheel studs. It's a nice set up.

I'll add that the traction control doesn't suddenly make the car launch like a drag car. You still need good tires. With my current settings I still spin on the R888R's. The traction control just keeps me from changing lanes unexpectedly.

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Juiced46 did a whole write up on procharging the 03 cobra. He was one of the first 03 cobra's to have that setup. He explains how the lower intake manifold was not built for a centri blower and that you had to change a lot of stuff to make it work. Not a simple bolt on setup. If I am going to go through all that trouble, I am going turbo. and the turbo will make power quicker. No belts, none of that bs. That is just me. Broke7 is trapping in the 160's with his 3.0. over 1000rwhp. That was unheard of back in the day with a whipple cobra.
Not sure why some kits kept the lower instead of just swapping to a Mach 1 intake

68gtscode

Established Member
Seems if I am going to make this change that turbos are a better option
You should drive a turbo stick car before jumping into that project. I guess you’ll think the traction is nice until you want to spool the turbo(s)... And that will be a problem for every gear shift.

If traction really is your issue, I think there are better ways to deal with it instead of spending a bunch of money to kill your low end torque… And possibly wind up with belt issues, which I can say from personal experience are frustrating.

EDIT- I should have mentioned- if you do want to put an F1A on your Cobra, I have a procharger bracket I’ll sell you for very cheap. No one seems to want it :-(

Marvin9075

Established Member
You should drive a turbo stick car before jumping into that project. I guess you’ll think the traction is nice until you want to spool the turbo(s)... And that will be a problem for every gear shift.

If traction really is your issue, I think there are better ways to deal with it instead of spending a bunch of money to kill your low end torque… And possibly wind up with belt issues, which I can say from personal experience are frustrating.

EDIT- I should have mentioned- if you do want to put an F1A on your Cobra, I have a procharger bracket I’ll sell you for very cheap. No one seems to want it :-(
Gonna try the 15 inch wheels with a taller tire before making any drastic changes . Mainly been a fan of the centrifugal setups for the sounds and up top power … now that I know the ms3 can be used for traction control it ll be looking into that.

Last edited:

therealshocker

Established Member
Late reply, but I've been running a F1A setup for over 3 years. 100% street driven with about 7K miles on the setup. Makes 870 through a 4R70 (was over 900 with T56) at 20psi (maxed out stock intake, waiting on motivation to install the Sullivan). I have custom blower cams and running pump E85. Stock driveability and retains A/C. I am also running the House of Boost renegade bracket like JetMach which are hard to find these days, but having a short belt with 8 rib Griptec pulley I have no belt slip.

I'm considering switching up to a turbo just to do something different. The F1A sound is awesome, especially with the cams. I have no complaints, just considering trying something different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread