3.5 EcoBoost pics

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Looks awesome.

Looks like they're pulling the direct injection technology off of its big brother - the Powerstroke.

I have to admit, I'm pretty excited to learn more about this engine as more material is released.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I heard that the rods are cracked powder metal, cast Al pistons, and the tubos are from Honeywell.

10.1 c/r

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I heard that the rods are cracked powder metal, cast Al pistons, and the tubos are from Honeywell.

10.1 c/r

I'm sure that's true about the internals. The 6.4 Powerstroke has the same kind of internals and is doing fine making a ton of power. It's all in the design.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
He got moved to the refurb'd plant? What was he working on before?

one's in skilled trades and the other was in the foundry if i'm not mistaken. that engine line has been set up and ready to go for some time now. they've just been waiting on vehicles

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I'm sure that's true about the internals. The 6.4 Powerstroke has the same kind of internals and is doing fine making a ton of power. It's all in the design.

You mean they can actually make power out of the 6.4?;-)

j/k.. I agree with you. GM's hasn't used forged in their motors for years and they seem to be doing fine. Some people get so hung up on the internals.

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSXReuvsE8"]YouTube - NEW EcoBoost Technology Animation[/ame]

typhoon5000

Established Member
Here it is, installed in the new SHO:
3546953503_a6c19b83fb_b.jpg

I spoke with a turbo engineer at Honeywell who worked on the EcoBoost V6 program and he says the motor will easily take 400+hp, but the tranny in the transversly mounted applications can't take 400+ ft-lb of torque. So we'll have to wait for the F-150 and maybe other RWD EcoBoosted vehicles to make really big and reliable power. He also said the turbos have some more capacity left in them, even though they are quite small and the factory max boost level is 12psi.

Here's the Tech specs on the EcoBoost motor internals too: Product Press Info | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread