3.55s or 3.73s

bumplime

Established Member
If this has been discussed to much I apologize, I couldn't find it.

I am in the process of trying to decide whether to wait for a 2018 Mustang or go ahead with the 2017. If I wait, there always the next model year...which means I'm never getting back into a Mustang.

Part of my research is on the gear ratios for this new model. I plan to purchase a GT Premium model without the Performance package. The car will be purchased with the Supercharger installed by the dealer. I will replace the Roush tune with one from Lund/VMP/Etc
In my 2008 GT 500? The swap to 3.73s was very noticeable. Is this the same with the S550?i have seen some of the drag racers run the 3.55s, which surprises me. What kind of pros/cons are people experiencing first hand with the swap
Of gears.

My next thought, I plan to race the car at my local 1/4 mile drag strip. I will run drag radials. It is my understanding that the stock 1/2 shafts will hold for a while but they're the weak point. Are the Ford replacements as good as their competitors product? I have read about the shafts that are rated 800hp, 1200hp. I would rather have the right set in hand before breaking something and having the car down while I wait to fix it.

scotmach

Established Member
With F/I I'd consider 3.31's if you're going with a manual. For the auto the 3.15's work well.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
3.55s will take you to 140 mph in the quarter mile with the auto in 4th gear. 4th ratio is 1.14.

3.31s or 3.27s would be needed on the manual to achieve the same mph. 4th in the mt82 is a 1.32 ratio.

calebdnehus

Established Member
I had 3.55's in my '16 auto and now 3.73 in my '17 manual and I feel like I could smoke the pants off that '16 auto with my current '17. Both are NA

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Your 16 auto would crush your 17 m6 on a 1/4 mi track.

Add boost and it only gets worse for the manual... been there done that.

5.CoYote

Since my last post I've changed my mind and sold the 3.55's and going with 4.10's in the 2011 GT auto n/a. Looking to have a quick light to light street car and these gears should do just that.

Troponin

Established Member
I had 3.73s in mine and I went FI with the MT. BIG mistake. That bitch was crazy in first gear and I had to rip through gears way too fast. I felt it really slowed me down.

I agree though, if auto, 3.55s or 3.31s work well. If MT and FI, 3.15s actually sounds really temping, but def no lower than 3.31s.

scotmach

Established Member
Since my last post I've changed my mind and sold the 3.55's and going with 4.10's in the 2011 GT auto n/a. Looking to have a quick light to light street car and these gears should do just that.
Those gears won't help the auto much at all. It will feel faster but in fact won't be. It will just be shifting more. Now a converter would make it an animal.

5.CoYote

The 4.10 gears have made my car a blast to drive on the street and an animal in the 60' and the converter is on the list just be patient, haha.

Those gears won't help the auto much at all. It will feel faster but in fact won't be. It will just be shifting more. Now a converter would make it an animal.

Users who are viewing this thread