3.8 to 5.4 swap. Parts list

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Not sure if this is the best place I can post this, but ill try anyway. I have a 2002 Mustang 3.8 with the auto and I'm looking to swap to a 5.4 2V with an eaton on top (eventually). The first problem I'll run into is how hard is it going to be to turn the 3.8 into the V8. I'm lost with what all is required right now. Second, I'd like to keep the auto in for a little bit due to lack of funds after swapping everything else, will it bolt up?

So far I believe I'll need all wiring from a GT (what exactly is all of that)
5.4 shortblock
PI heads
Motor mounts
shorty headers (LT's will not fit)
4.6/5.4 adaptor plates to make GT intake and eventually SC to work.
MAF sensor (will 90MM lightning work? I dont want to swap later)

If any light could be shed it would be much appreciated.

supastang96gt

Established Member
I don't think your auto will bolt up to a 5.4 Your best bet would be to get a donor GT because you will have to swap ALOT of parts for this to work. Rear end, driveshaft, springs, k member, wiring harness, computer will all have to be changed.

To be honest, going from V6 to V8 is the most difficult route. It would be 10X easier starting with a GT, but I know people have sentimental value towards their own car so if your serious in doing this just be aware that it will take a lot of work and money. However this project CAN and HAS been done.

I would start by using the search function. Even googling the swap will bring up some valuable info and maybe even a write-up.

Users who are viewing this thread