302 vs C7 *hypothetical race*

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
With the C7's becoming more popular on the streets, how would a bolt-on Boss do against one? I've only seen a handful of videos labeled "bolt-on 5.0 vs C7 corvette" but they don't get into details about the mods. The races I've seen are neck and neck until the top of 4th gear.

I always see this red stingray driving around a Chevy dealership on my way home from the gym. He's always revving at me but I don't pay any close attention since a police fuel station is near where we run into each other. My mods are long tubes, off-road H, axle backs, cai, tune, 1 piece aluminum ds, toyo r888 on all 4 corners, and plenty of suspension work.

Thoughts?

Jonberlin

Established Member
My car put down 437/389 and I pulled away from both C7 corvettes I ran into. One was from 30ish to 100mph and one was a highway pull from 60 to 140 ( he was creeping back towards the end...)
I think you should pull away from a stock C7 at least until his aerodynamics let him gain ground again in somewhere at 120ish...
Jonny

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
^ what are your mods?

I was thinking I could take the vette from 2nd to top of 3rd. If I ever race the local c7 it'll most likely be from a dig so hopefully it's a manual. Well I'll strap on the gopro and drive around town on my days off to find out

dragonknight

With the C7's becoming more popular on the streets, how would a bolt-on Boss do against one? I've only seen a handful of videos labeled "bolt-on 5.0 vs C7 corvette" but they don't get into details about the mods. The races I've seen are neck and neck until the top of 4th gear.

I always see this red stingray driving around a Chevy dealership on my way home from the gym. He's always revving at me but I don't pay any close attention since a police fuel station is near where we run into each other. My mods are long tubes, off-road H, axle backs, cai, tune, 1 piece aluminum ds, toyo r888 on all 4 corners, and plenty of suspension work.

Thoughts?
I've seen a lot of yote mustangs get torn apart here in Delaware on RT1 and on RT13. both roads have long straight line stretches for both cars to go in but I see the vettes taking the mustangs. and that includes boss mustangs.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
^ what are your mods?

I was thinking I could take the vette from 2nd to top of 3rd. If I ever race the local c7 it'll most likely be from a dig so hopefully it's a manual. Well I'll strap on the gopro and drive around town on my days off to find out

GoPro lives in the car now... suction cup mount to the right of my mirror.

Tech4Dummies

Established Member

Thoughts?

You'd handle him in 2nd 3rd and 4th but he'd come around when you're in 5th and put a car or two on you. I'd normally say get the CJ intake mani + TB if you were a 5.0, but you're already working with the Boss mani so i'd say 90mm TB and re-tune with larger injectors for E85 and see how it feels, it would be a close race up to the top of your 5th gear at that point, likely a driver's race.

Search "modded 5.0 vs. stock c7" on YouTube, that 5.0 probably has like 10-15 less horsepower than you, for comparison's sake. He claims 425 rwhp on the dyno. No trouble with the c7 until 5th gear, those thing pull hard up top.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Doesn't the C7's do low 12's? Like a tenth or two quicker than the boss? If anything im sure your boss is more than 11sec capable so I'll give you the nod vs a stock C7.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
You'd handle him in 2nd 3rd and 4th but he'd come around when you're in 5th and put a car or two on you. I'd normally say get the CJ intake mani + TB if you were a 5.0, but you're already working with the Boss mani so i'd say 90mm TB and re-tune with larger injectors for E85 and see how it feels, it would be a close race up to the top of your 5th gear at that point, likely a driver's race.
My next wave of mods are CJ intake, monoblade, 5" cai, 47lb injectors, and E85. This video is what makes the race interesting to me [youtube_browser]mwkQVY_1jpw[/youtube_browser]

Doesn't the C7's do low 12's? Like a tenth or two quicker than the boss? If anything im sure your boss is more than 11sec capable so I'll give you the nod vs a stock C7.
They do low 12's if not high 11's from what I've seen. The autos are nasty off the line
get this on video if you end up going id like to see where you stand
I posted on a local car fb page if there were any C7's who are okay with a friendly race, no bites yet

mystickb1996

Established Member
I have a friend that got a c7 awhile back and with a tune only and 200 miles on the car he ran 11.5 back to back to back.. It was unreal how consistent his car is, this is factory stock no dr's, no z51 pkg, just base c7 with a tune

rfopt

Established Member
I have a friend that got a C7 awhile back and with a tune only and 200 miles on the car he ran 11.5 back to back to back.. It was unreal how consistent his car is, this is factory stock no dr's, no z51 pkg, just base c7 with a tune

Is that C7 an automatic? The torque curve on the C7 engine is amazing.

Rct851

Established Member
Your got it. Not like y'all are going to run past 140 if guess.

I can't wait for the prices to dive bomb on c7s though, which they surely will like all vetted, mustangs etc.

I drive around a lot but I see 20 a WEEK around here easily

Tech4Dummies

Established Member
My next wave of mods are CJ intake, monoblade, 5" cai, 47lb injectors, and E85. This video is what makes the race interesting to me

Nice! You'd gain 20 rwhp from the CJ parts if you were re-tuning for 91 octane, i'm thinking e85 on top of that will easily put you in the ballpark of 450-460 rwhp. Which means that, N/A, you're right smack-dab in the middle of 2007-2010 GT500 power and 2011-2012 GT500 power.

Cams on top of your E85 setup will be good for around 500 rwhp without touching the stock valves or ports. :eek: That's just nasty. Probably be running with stock or exhaust-only C6 z06's etc. at that point.

Last edited:

lockman

Established Member
There's a guy I work with has a 302 boss with close to 600hp na. He has done just about everything to it haven't seen it run yet but I'm sure it's pretty nasty.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
There's a guy I work with has a 302 boss with close to 600hp na. He has done just about everything to it haven't seen it run yet but I'm sure it's pretty nasty.

600 hp to the motor NA, not the wheels I imagine? I was at 501 RWHP & 397 Torque before I traded in mine, and I had almost every mod you can do NA.

Manuel

Tech4Dummies

Established Member
600 hp to the motor NA, not the wheels I imagine? I was at 501 RWHP & 397 Torque before I traded in mine, and I had almost every mod you can do NA.

Manuel

Yes, i'm sure 600 is a crank hp estimate unless he's hiding a bottle somewhere. So far the highest N/A Coyote or Boss numbers I've seen are in the 620 to 630 flywheel horsepower range. Horsepower at the wheels should be roughly in Zr1 territory, 550+ whp and 400+ rwtq, but the torque hangs there forever. That number can be deceiving.

Users who are viewing this thread