+350 pds, 57% weight on the front

jwfisher

Banned
Turns out we were right. According to Ford's own figures, the GT500 will gain 350 pounds, all up front, and have a 57% front 43% rear weight balance. That's lousy.

So much for a lightweight car... so much for the inherently good weight balance of the base 4.6 liter Mustang. SO much for braking - despite the better binders the weight balance will work against it.

255s on 18x9.5" wheels. Skinny wheelwells. Not much traction there, even if the windup of the higher profile tires contributes to leaving the line. Plus numerically lower gears and the same ratios in the T-56. Not much multiplication there, but there is little point with the torque.

40 grand minimum, gas guzzler fee, & dealer ripoff on top of that. Nets up to a car that is is only incrementally faster than an '03/04 Cobra.

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
jwfisher said:
Turns out we were right. According to Ford's own figures, the GT500 will gain 350 pounds, all up front, and have a 57% front 43% rear weight balance. That's lousy.

So much for a lightweight car... so much for the inherently good weight balance of the base 4.6 liter Mustang. SO much for braking - despite the better binders the weight balance will work against it.

255s on 18x9.5" wheels. Skinny wheelwells. Not much traction there, even if the windup of the higher profile tires contributes to leaving the line. Plus numerically lower gears and the same ratios in the T-56. Not much multiplication there, but there is little point with the torque.

40 grand minimum, gas guzzler fee, & dealer ripoff on top of that. Nets up to a car that is is only incrementally faster than an '03/04 Cobra.

Let's not forget that one of the major reasons that limits the rear tire width is the much loved SRA. Ford placed the dampers outside the frame rails, leaving only about 3/4" space between the inside of the rear tires and the damper tube....and that's with the 235/55-17's on the GT (which is kind of funny because the OEM meats on my 2000 GT are 245/45-17's.)

jwfisher

Banned
It IS kinda funny for a new-gen car to be so bloody compromised right out of the box.

Car weight adds up to 3873 (Car & Driver-tested moderately optioned 2005 Mustang GT plus 350 pounds).

And that extra 350 pounds (all UP FRONT and much of it very HIGH UP) will certainly make a bad impact. It's kind of like it's target demographics (and it's namesake)... crude, dated, and obese.

Seems we were all right about the weight, including the folks who got kicked off this forum for speculating to the court that the king isn't wearing any clothes.

The SRA shock placement is typical Ford these days... which needs as much dampening leverage as possible to handle the ponderous bulk better.

Last edited:

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
So based on this figure, let's revisit this whole GT500 will smoke the C6 Vette again.

Based on the figure above, this are the hp-to-weight ratios of the cars.

Corvette C6 Weight: 3245 lbs Power: 400 bhp Ratio: 8.1125:1

Shleby GT500 Weight:3873 lbs (est) Power: 450 bhp (est) Ratio: 8.6066:1

Seems like the performance bargain quotient is starting to swing back to the Vette.

Fourcam330

Established Member
jwfisher said:

If you replaced "incrementally" with "leaps and bounds" your statement would be come 100% more accurate and true for stock vs. stock apps. You'll probably still be bitching when the GT500s run high 11s @ 119-121 bone stock? In modded form there's going to be no comparison at all in straight line speed, and the rest of the car is still 10 times better than the Fox platform ever was. :poke: :shrug:

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
magstang1 said:
I can hear my 03 cobra gaining value daily!!!!

You might want to change the batteries in your hearing aid, chances are it's responsible for the misinformation ;-)

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
If you replaced "incrementally" with "leaps and bounds" your statement would be come 100% more accurate and true for stock vs. stock apps. You'll probably still be bitching when the GT500s run high 11s @ 119-121 bone stock? In modded form there's going to be no comparison at all in straight line speed, and the rest of the car is still 10 times better than the Fox platform ever was. :poke: :shrug:

It didn't exactly take a great leap of faith to put out something better than the Fox platform and it's derivatives. Hell, as good as the SN95 was, it's still based on a 25 year plus design.

Also, considering that a Vette C6 turns high 12's @ 115...I find it hard that the heavier GT500 (with the aforementioned hp/weight ratio) will be turning high 11's, especially with the GT500's small tread print.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

We'll see. I'm DEFINATELY not in any hurry to go out and buy one though. Unlike my attitude when the 03 first came out, I will sit back and let the 07 PROVE my doubts unfounded.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
It didn't exactly take a great leap of faith to put out something better than the Fox platform and it's derivatives. Hell, as good as the SN95 was, it's still based on a 25 year plus design.

The fact remains, the new platform is that much better.

Also, considering that a Vette C6 turns high 12's @ 115...I find it hard that the heavier GT500 (with the aforementioned hp/weight ratio) will be turning high 11's, especially with the GT500's small tread print.

Have you ever driven a Griggs/MM 3 link rear Mustang? The increase in traction is really amazing vs. the stock 4 link arrangement. The fact that 300HP GTs are capable of mid 1.8 60' times on the stock rubber should give you some solice. Remember that Ford claims a sub 4.0 second (3.5 if I remember correctly) 0-60 sprint, I don't see them letting the public down again after all the faithful have been through. Have faith, they will run the numbers.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I'll give you low 12's, no way 11's. Especially if it weighs the reported 3800 and has those skinny tires. Probably run even with a stock Gen II viper. For all that wanted a good straight line only car your definately getting it. I would have seriously considered getting one for a dd if they would have sacrificed some power for a much better rounded car. It's still a pretty sweet car though.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Leave it to Jwfischer aka "THE TOOL" to have something bad to say about another GREAT Ford Product.

Do you have anything good to say about anything? Quit it with the bad stuff, atleast have something good to say like "wow the motor will be able to be tuned to produce possibly 600whp for a bargain" Or "wow the fit and finish is awesome." But NO you 8itch about EVERYTHING ad anything you can.

Put a sock in it.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
Leave it to Jwfischer aka "THE TOOL" to have something bad to say about another GREAT Ford Product.

Do you have anything good to say about anything? Quit it with the bad stuff, atleast have something good to say like "wow the motor will be able to be tuned to produce possibly 600whp for a bargain" Or "wow the fit and finish is awesome." But NO you 8itch about EVERYTHING ad anything you can.

Put a sock in it.

:rockon:

R1Lello

Established Member
Chris Benvie said:

Put a sock in it.

:bash: I'm going to agree, someone ban this 'know it all' negative vibe guy.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
CALM DOWN!!!!! Lets just wait till the car gets here okay!!! And is actually tested....Remember theirs still about 3/4 of a year till it gets here. People Please!!!!

R1Lello

Established Member
cobradude said:
CALM DOWN!!!!! Lets just wait till the car gets here okay!!! And is actually tested....Remember theirs still about 3/4 of a year till it gets here. People Please!!!!

You're right, its this fisher guy and joes pony, negative about everything that's getting to some of us

Torque

Banned
Chris Benvie said:

Put a sock in it.

Thank God somebody else feels like I do. There are some cool people on this board, but there are also without a doubt more whinning bitches here then any forum I have ever been on. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS CAR IS GONNA BE FUGGIN AWESOME NO MATTER WHAT ALL OF YOU BITCH ABOUT. DON'T BUY ONE, I'LL GET MINE SOONER THAT WAY. If I have to read one more post about "waaaahhhhhh!! No IRS" or "waaaahhhhhh it weighs too much!!" I'm gonna throw the fug up. :mj: I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I am an F-body fan and if Chevy was going to make me a new '07 Camaro that is gonna be as bad ass as the GT500 is gonna be, I (and a million other people) would be jumping for joy - NOT SHITTING IN THE PUNCHBOWL. :burn:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
THANK THE LORD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

Lets be happy we are being graced with such a nice car.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
Chris Benvie said:

Put a sock in it.

I've got to ask what is so great about this car? Ford has taken a step back in terms of suspension technology, has added weight, and it's going to cost more. Sure, there's a huge engine under the hood but what else do we get? What's going to make this car any better than a GTO, STi, EVO MR, G35c, or a low mileage C6?

The more I think about it the more a low mileage C6 looks better and better in my eyes: HUD, HID headlights, similar straight line performance, world class handling, great fuel economy, removable top, painted mirrors and trim, ...and best of all.....the GM badge :-D

I really wanted Ford to succeed but IMO $40k+ for a car that only brings a huge engine to the table is WAY to much. But I'll reserve judgement until I see some reviews. There's one thing that doesn't show up on the stat sheets and that's the "fun to drive" factor.

Users who are viewing this thread