350z vs 2013 5.0

2013GT'ed

Established Member
So long story short I've been badgered all winter by a younger guy driving the last year model of a auto 350z. This guy swear it has every bolt on and cams on top. With it always raining and roughly 40 degrees I have never had a chance to explore a run with this guy. Well, now it's in the 80's and sunny for some reason up here. My 5.0 has lt's, o/r xpipe, cai, and tune. Side order of a full bmr rear suspension and some mickey Thompsons. Well, after a ton of smack talk on his part anda bit on mine we ran across each other on a certain interstate really late in the day. From a 50 roll I destroyed, badly. I was quite surprised, so I figured another run was in order. 60 roll, same results, just yanked on him and walked away. Heh, here's where it gets cool. Second run had a surprise competitor. Enter one 1985 blue extremely clean and lowered Honda Crx. I was amazed at this little car, he had a all motor k24 some bolt on and a 6 speed in it. It was completely stock looking and....had the stock si exhaust. Quiet, and very fast. As in I only had 2 maybe 2 1/2 car lengths on him at 115 with a slight pull in my favor. My question is about the 350z, I know they aren't considered fast compared to our 5.0s stock for stock, but what does a fbo 350z actually do? Seemed pretty weak to be honest. Is boost the only way to truly make one fast? Stopped to talk to the 20 year old with the crx, really cool kid. Did most of the fab and wiring himself. Said he was able to take down a 2013 camaro ss the week before and wanted to try a 5.0. I believe him. Damn nice car really clean and quite the sleeper. He wants to go turbo or nitrous after he gets his traction setup for it. I certainly wouldn't want to run it with even 8 pounds going through that go kart! I apologize about the wall of text, posting from my phone 1 handed as my 5 month old fights be for all forms of electronic superiority! Lol

Zemedici

Established Member
FBO 350z will be maybe 310whp.

With cams maybe 325-330. MAYBE.

That being said they're light and nimble, but don't make crazy power.

That being said the last week I had my 15 I got drug BADLY by a guy in a turbo k series swapped civic. Thing made 500whp and sure wrecked my 400whp 15.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I don't doubt it. I honestly was quite impressed by this kid. The only thing he didn't do is the tuning. Everything looked almost factory in its installation. He sounded kinda bummed because he said it took a year to do... I told him straight up that was impressive period. Hopefully will meet up with him when he gets back from his 8 month deployment.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Honestly I haven't met a 350 or 370z that was impressive or fast. Though most were stock or mild bolt on's. But I have met a few civics that were impressive. Watched one pull away from my buddy's Stock WS6 from 115mph and on. And it looked stock.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Honduhs are no joke if modded correctly. Someone who knows how to build a good setup in a light ass car can have a blast with it. No lie, one of my wants is a 4g63 powered CRX. Laggy turbo with about 440whp would murder alot of things on the freeway, and is easily done with a 4g63 without having to do much at all to it.

Z's are just all around decent cars. Handle good, move good, drive good, but IMO unless you have $$$ its not going to excel at either. 370's are great drivers cars but dont expect to walk away from 400+HP anythings.

Last edited:

katsimbris

I thought about commenting as to how a light-weight Honda would give itself away with a fat drag tire in front for traction... But considering that one would most likely encounter them on the highway and probably already on a roll, as long as they have a good tire, I would always be trying to steel myself for a surprise outcome in that type of scenario.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Me too! Just looked up his curb weight. Around 1890 pounds.. I'm thinking he might pull me up top with a k24 in that little thing!

Mr_ATC

Established Member
I raced a 370Z 2-3 days ago from a red light and shut it down around 80. my GT is completely stock besides Cat back. He was probably 2-3 car lengths behind with me pulling away when I hit the brakes. He was stock. I'm pretty inexperienced so no clue if he shouldn't of been that close lol

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I flat destroyed a stock 370z from a dead stop. Of course I had the mickeys and I'm quite modded. I guess I kinda just thought more of them. Cool looking cars though.

EB85

Established Member
Honduhs are no joke if modded correctly. Someone who knows how to build a good setup in a light ass car can have a blast with it. No lie, one of my wants is a 4g63 powered CRX. Laggy turbo with about 440whp would murder alot of things on the freeway, and is easily done with a 4g63 without having to do much at all to it.

Z's are just all around decent cars. Handle good, move good, drive good, but IMO unless you have $$$ its not going to excel at either. 370's are great drivers cars but dont expect to walk away from 400+HP anythings.
I don't think you even need a bigger turbo for mid 400's from a 4G63. An STi-turned-Evo owner on another forum did cams, corn, full exhaust and a big ass front mount on his IX. I think he made about 425-450 on the rollers. The factory turbo can move a pretty serious amount of boost and not be out of efficiency on those cars.

earl lee

Established Member

Eh, the motor would have crankwalk before you put it in the CRX. I kid I kid, im sure you know about the crankwalk reference. Funny thing is when I was younger early 20's in the early 2000's I wanted a 2nd Gen GSX but they were prone to crankwalk and after reading about about guy doing a fully built motor only to have it crankwalk 2k miles later and trash everything. I went the muscle car route and bought a F-body instead.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
When my 03 Cobra was 100% stock, I ran a 350Z from 2nd gear after he got the jump on me.
After I heard him chirp 2nd, I knew he was trying to run me. I was already in 2nd, so I just opened the throttle and put more than 2 bus lengths on him by the time I shifted to 3rd.

A stock 99-04 Mustang GT would be quicker than that 350Z.

SixPak

Established Member
I had a G37Xs or something like that do a ricer flyby and cut in front of me while I was just cruising and MMOB.
I obliged him by reeling him in in very short order. I egged him on into a couple of short wind sprints, getting on and off the gas several times while he was giving it his all. Basically just waxed his ass.
I don't normally waste my gas on those kind of cars, but the need to level this guys karma overwhelmed me. Plus, it felt good cause I can't stand those things. I should ad at this time the guy prolly thought my car was a 6 cylinder because I don't fly the 5.0 badges. Musta thought I'd be easy pickins. image.jpeg

2012 GT, A6, tuned, headers, X, BMR, ADS, Forgestars, Mickeys.

Last edited:

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Lmao ^. Considering what I did to that 370z from a dig I imagine a slower g37 didn't do so well.

Users who are viewing this thread