383 stroker lt1

franks98_coBra

Established Member
Last night I raced this 99 camaro Lt1 with a 383 stoker kit (auto) against my bone stock 98 cobra. The whole time i knew that this camaro would beat my car but I wanted to see how I would keep up. When the light turned green we both take off and we were dead even 1st and 2nd gear. As the top of 2nd gear came he started pulling away. I let off when his rear bumper was right in front of my front bumper.
I was surprised that I kept up with him at all :rockon:. I thought for sure he had me on the launch.
Both of us had some regular street tires nothing fancy. Ive raced a stock Lt1 before and it was always a drivers race. Going with a zex dry shot set up and ill be looking for him again!:thumbsup:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Sounds like a pretty short race to judge how well the 383 actually runs but who knows?

franks98_coBra

Established Member
Yea there was a bus in his lane up ahead, plus he was walking me pretty hard after i hit 3rd. He jumped to my lane and we parted ways.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
shoulda been an LS1 in that 99 Camaro

not to say he didn't put a stroked LT1 in it but who the hell does that lol?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I raced an H/C/I 383 LS1 years ago with my car and i had my hands full! went 1 and 1

Last edited:

LS2GTO

Established Member
Dang, a 103-105mph trapping car stayed even with one that *should* be in the 120s.

Something aint right here Scotty. Was it raining/snowing out and the poor kid couldn't get traction to save his life?

Last edited:

franks98_coBra

Established Member
Correct he was spining 1st gear, I hooked ok but i was spining too. I know where he lives ill see if I can get pics of his car, pretty clean car btw. Sorry that i left out the part that he was spining. his tires looked like they had more meat then mine did. Guy looked like he was in his mid 20s or so and i think hes had the car on the road for 1 month or so. Still probably trying to get use to it:shrug:
Ive been driving my car the way it sits for 8 years now.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Who would put a 383 stroked LT1 in a '99 Camaro? :lol:

franks98_coBra

Established Member
This guy did. He also has a dart 2 383 stroker in his el camino. Not familiar with chevy egines but thats what he told me. Maybe he likes them. Isnt the 383 stroker a 350 block with a 400 crank? not sure what a dart 2 is.

mrlrd1

Established Member
It's either not a LT1 or it's not a 99.

If it is a 383, it probably a stock headed mild cam LT1 in a 93-97.

03str

383 lt1=turd

My buddy trapped 110mph in his bolt on LT1 with stock unported heads, stock cam, and only the usual easy weight reduction items in mild AZ air. Not bad for a 20 year old motor with under $2K in mods. Plenty more examples on LS1tech if you care (I know you don't).

Keep in mind that a 383 can be installed during a rebuild for no extra cost. There are probably many completely stock 383 LT1's with busted opti's for sale at the same places where you can buy used tires. As with anything else, it's all in the set up....

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
383 lt1=turd

my buddies H/C/I, 383 LT1 (95 Z28 A4 w/ stall, spool, cage, opti delete) was good for mid 11s n/a...and 10.30s on the squeeze (trapped around 128-130)

for the money he spent (which was very little) that car moved out nicely

Last edited:

blkvenm97

Established Member
my guess is he was spinning bad. that's probably why you kept up. then again we don't know about his mods either. I like how the camaro guys come out of the woodwork letting us know about all these numbers and times for 383 ls1s and 383 lt1s assuming this one is built the same as theirs. oh and how they are going to destroy a guys lil 281 that has well over 500 rwhp. to do that you better bring the spray if you wanna "destroy" that

Users who are viewing this thread