3V 4.6 for next mustang

ObieFox

Established Member
Autoweek March 3, 2003
Page 10
"will be powered by the new 3 valve 4.6 liter V8 that Ford is building for the 2004 Mustang."

Take care,
Kevin

PFA

Established Member
I got the same issue. Maybe the current model will be out there for 2004 and will have this engine.???

PFA

Established Member
I got the same issue. Maybe the current model will be out there for 2004 and will have this engine.???

PFA

Established Member

03CobraBro

Established Member
What is this new boss 302 everyone keeps talking about? Ford had already said after the release of the mach1 they had no intentions of ever building a BOSS mustang.

Also wouldnt it be called the BOSS 281?

94RedCobra

Established Member
Seriously, if Ford does a new Boss Mustang and it comes with anything less than four valves I will be super pissed off! Also, I hope that if Ford builds a Boss Mustang again, it should be able to rip to about 8,000 RPM.

The Boss Mustangs were known for crazy high rpm breathing. 3 valve heads just don't cut it!

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
What is this new boss 302 everyone keeps talking about? Ford had already said after the release of the mach1 they had no intentions of ever building a BOSS mustang.

Also wouldnt it be called the BOSS 281?

Rumor was that the were going to bore the old 281 to 302. They do sell a crate 302 Mod motor.

03CobraBro

Established Member
True... but realistically, even though it would be an awsome car, I dont think they plan on using it in 04... If they did that would have been just about as big of news as the new gen stangs.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Originally posted by 94RedCobra
if Ford builds a Boss Mustang again, it should be able to rip to about 8,000 RPM.

The Boss Mustangs were known for crazy high rpm breathing. 3 valve heads just don't cut it!
Only cuz they put the huge 351C heads on the ity bity 302's adn thats the only way ya could get em to run. What 6800rpm ain't high nuff for ya? As it is ya need a 4.10-4.88 to use it.

rhumbline

Established Member
Originally posted by 94RedCobra
Seriously, if Ford does a new Boss Mustang and it comes with anything less than four valves I will be super pissed off! Also, I hope that if Ford builds a Boss Mustang again, it should be able to rip to about 8,000 RPM.

I was thinking that a very Hi-Po version of the 3.9 V8 would make an interesting Boss motor, one that would inhabit a very similar niche as did the Boss 302 in its day, i.e. a smallish, light, more modern V8 tuned more for high rpm performance relative to the other larger motors then available (351, 390, 428). Where the Cleveland 4bbl headed 302 fit that description in '69-'70, so might the 3.9 (or the 4.2 version) do so in todays lineup against the bigger, if slightly lower tech Mod motors (4.6, 5.0(?), 5.4).

The Mach I, then as now, would inhabit a slightly lower tech, lower rev, higher torque segment emphasizing standing start acceleration whereas the Cobra might be more like the Boss 429 was, though the Boss 429 really only came alive at higher revs too, once you replaced the smallish 780cfm carb that is. The 428's would usually eat them up on the street being a more tractable motor at less than race revs.

94RedCobra

Established Member
Interesting thoughts. Personally, I think the 3.9 is a bit of a joke. It is nothing more than a detuned AJ Jag V8; come on Ford, put the real motor in the Lincoln and T-Bird (4.2). I feel that the mod 5.0 would be the best choice. It fits the 5.0 litre displacement and has got awesome zing* potential.

Later

* see high RPMs.

rhumbline

Established Member
The AJ 3.9 has certianly been underdeveloped, though they do have the latest version up to some 280 hp with the VVT. While a touch smaller than the Mod motor, it seems to be of a more sophisticated and performance oriented design, though probably more expensive to produce and hence its dearth of American applications.

But I think it inhabits a relative market niche more similar to what the Cleveland head Boss 302 did in its day whereas the Mod motors are, relatively speaking, the larger, lower tech designs. A Mod 5.0 would be more like the Windsor 351 was back in the late '60's.

davidmax

Established Member
This can be a lethal whepon.I saw 10 units at (SHM) dropped off last week) and the bottom end good for 8500rpm.These will be built to 5 liter and and do 402-410 rrwhp and each motor will be dynoed on the the engine dyno.
It will be installed in an MG very slick Aero cars and the endurance testing in Itally must go 15000 miles at 8-9 k per day at torturous tests,the 480 motor/trans combo contract will be in the bag and Rousch will do all final calibrations to the ECU.Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread