4.09 or 4.11

ANGREY

Established Member
Angrey! How many miles now on the gear change and any harmonics issues with the voodoo engine?

No issues. The gear change is in the differential so wouldn't have any affect or difference with it being a voodoo or any other motor.

The car just is just more lively in the lower gears and slightly more RPM when cruising or maintaining speed in the upper gears. I had a quality shop do the installation and I bought what amounts to be FRPP gears (with an added polish/finish). They work great.

avalanche

Good news!!! Glad to hear there is no correlation to the Flat plane crank harmonics. I wasn't sure it could have any effect but had read elsewhere that the available gears were limited due to FORD concerns for harmonics so thought I'd ask someone who had experience. I'm getting the same set you have and getting Steeda Florida to install.

ANGREY

Established Member
Ford was limited to 4.10 because of some sort of CARB/Emissions regulation. They elected to go with the 3.73 but purchased the rights to 4.09/4.10 (can't remember which) from US Gear for their FRPP line. Steeda does good work. They'll get it right.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Do they make a 4.30 or even 4.56?
Loved the 4.30s in my NA ‘01 Cobra back in the day and honestly felt a 4.56 would’ve been even better.
Seriously, unless you do a majority of highway driving or plan to go with boost, this car would love 4.56s to keep it up I’m it’s high power band.
-J

ANGREY

Established Member
Do they make a 4.30 or even 4.56?
Loved the 4.30s in my NA ‘01 Cobra back in the day and honestly felt a 4.56 would’ve been even better.
Seriously, unless you do a majority of highway driving or plan to go with boost, this car would love 4.56s to keep it up I’m it’s high power band.
-J

US Gear makes the ring/pinion for FRPP. They do not make anything bigger than 4.09/4.11 (11 on 45 or 9 on 37).

Other manufacturers make the 4.30 and 4.56 (like Yukon). But I wouldn't recommend. The 4.09 makes 1st gear worthless and 2nd gear gets squirrely and 3rd waggles pretty hard. 4th even shakes the ass if you hammer it hard enough. That's with E-85, lightweight wheels and 4.09s.

4.09 is about perfect.

4.30 or higher would probably work if you were to swap out the rear brakes for some proper drag radials, but with 19" track radials, the traction makes anything more than 4.09 basically useless. It's like being on roller skates.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So that sounds like a tire issue. What rear tires do you run?
A 500rwhp GT350 (assuming that power level for NA on E85) should not have traction issues even with 4.09s on a sticky tire. If you’re running PS4s or a quality summer tire that’s expected. But again, that’s a tire issue and you’ll be faster with a shorter gear and sticky tires.
-J

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
A 500rwhp GT350 (assuming that power level for NA on E85) should not have traction issues even with 4.09s on a sticky tire. If you’re running PS4s or a quality summer tire that’s expected. But again, that’s a tire issue and you’ll be faster with a shorter gear and sticky tires.
-J
Hell, I don’t have traction issues with stock gearing/tires. However I am at about 7500’ elevation....

e85svt

Established Member
I read somewhere that someone asked a manufacture if they would be willing to produce a 4:30 for the super 8.8 and they said if they had a certain number of pre orders they would. In my opinion, the 4.30 and 4.56 on a 28" tall tire would be ideal for the tr3160 and d4-mt82 transmission ratios for n/a applications.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ANGREY

Established Member
-J

I run the same limited choices of tires as everyone else for 19" (MPSS, 4S and now the Cup 2's). My point is, there's essentially no tire you're going to run at 19" that's not going to make a 4.30 geared car anything but roller skates. 4.30 would be very nice if we had say 16" or 15" wheels and some nice fat, flex wall tires that could put that multiplied torque into the pavement.

ANGREY

Established Member
I read somewhere that someone asked a manufacture if they would be willing to produce a 4:30 for the super 8.8 and they said if they had a certain number of pre orders they would. In my opinion, the 4.30 and 4.56 on a 28" tall tire would be ideal for the tr3160 and d4-mt82 transmission ratios for n/a applications.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I'm pretty sure the Yukon already makes them and maybe even Motive Gear. Someone would have to reach out to them (and ensure you're talking about the super 8.8" IRS)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I run the same limited choices of tires as everyone else for 19" (MPSS, 4S and now the Cup 2's). My point is, there's essentially no tire you're going to run at 19" that's not going to make a 4.30 geared car anything but roller skates. 4.30 would be very nice if we had say 16" or 15" wheels and some nice fat, flex wall tires that could put that multiplied torque into the pavement.
NT05R D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

NT01 D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Road Course Tire

NT555RII D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

I hear excuses on the tires. There are 3 quick Nitto options without looking at other R compound like Toyo 888R or R888R.
No excuses if youre not willing to run a sticky tire. The Cup 2s are in this same category so don’t use that excuse.
-J

ANGREY

Established Member
NT05R D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

NT01 D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Road Course Tire

NT555RII D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

I hear excuses on the tires. There are 3 quick Nitto options without looking at other R compound like Toyo 888R or R888R.
No excuses if youre not willing to run a sticky tire. The Cup 2s are in this same category so don’t use that excuse.
-J

Dude, where the excuse? I run cup 2's now and the car rolls the tires like nothing. And I haven't even added a blower yet. You put 4.09's in the car and unless you change to slicks or fat drag radials, anything larger is going to make the car useless.

Go argue with someone else. I'm the one driving the car and I'm telling you that it's almost useless now. And i'm running 315's. The 325 MPSS were worse. I drove the car at an 1/8th mile unprepped track from a dig and the car is useless. Just useless. I trapped nearly 125 mph from a roll in the 1/4 on cup 2's and that's spinning hard on the 1-2 and wagging pretty hard on the 2-3.

To prove my point, go look at the Fathouse vid of their car that ran 8's at 160+. How? They swapped the breaks out for smaller breaks and some smaller wheels and a drag tire. There are NO OTHER VIDEOS of Fathouse cars doing anything remotely special in the 1/4 or anything else...why? Cause 19" wheels and high power or torque (or HIGH MULTIPLIED TORQUE) make the car worthless.

You can put 4.56's in if you want. Let us know how you like your new roller skates.

Users who are viewing this thread