4.6L 4v Cam Install question

r6bullet

Established Member
I have a buddy that just put cams in his 03 Mach 1 and he fired it up last night. It fired right up and sounded good except for a REALLY loud tapping/knocking noise. This noise is very loud and it sounds like it is coming from the front cover area although the noise can be heard in just about every part of the car. Sounds like the engine is running without any oil but ungodly loud (yes the engine has oil in it). I have never heard what it sounds like when valves hit the pistons but that is kinda what it sounds like, but it runs and starts right up. I am not sure how the timing chains are in the 4v 4.6l but is it possible that one of the timing chains could be slapping the case? I am not sure what cams he got but they are choppy. And like I said it is not my car, just trying the help out a friend. Any info would be great, thanks :beer:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I dont' know much about install of cams on the 4vs........did he set the cam tensioners correctly? Did he 'pre-lube' everything? Bad install?

Not to seem like an A$$ but that is why I think that kind of install work should go to a shop.

I put a link on the registry for you, so other member's can help out........
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?p=691242#post691242

Last edited:

r6bullet

Established Member
Thanks

He did pre lube everything, the tensioners is what I am not sure about. Are they hydraulic or do you have to adjust them your self? I am thinking one of the chains is way loose and is smacking the case. I wish I had a video of it, I mean you can stand behind his car with LTs, off road x, cat back and hear the noise very well. LOUD

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Sounds like the tensioners not taking up the chain slack.
Maybe remove a cam cover and see if there is fresh oil being pumped up there.
Pass side is easier to remove on a Mach.
Good luck to you, hope it's something minor.

r6bullet

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, he got back in there and found the problem. It was the timing chain hitting the cover. Now I need to go hear this thing run

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
r6bullet said:
Thanks for the help guys, he got back in there and found the problem. It was the timing chain hitting the cover. Now I need to go hear this thing run

Glad you guys found it.:thumbsup:

mustangsel

Established Member
I think I already know the answer to the question but I figure I'd ask anyway. If you change just the cams do you have to take the engine out? I know when you do heads you have to pull it. I'm asking because I plan on taking the valve covers off to be polished so I thought I might as well do some cams if I can afford it.

Angus

Established Member
mustangsel said:
I think I already know the answer to the question but I figure I'd ask anyway. If you change just the cams do you have to take the engine out? I know when you do heads you have to pull it. I'm asking because I plan on taking the valve covers off to be polished so I thought I might as well do some cams if I can afford it.

It's very hard to get the driver-side cam cover off with the engine still in the car.

You'll also need some way of keeping tension on the chains so it all stays timed correctly once it's assembled again.

Pulling the engine is the easiest way to do the swap...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Angus66 said:
It's very hard to get the driver-side cam cover off with the engine still in the car.

You'll also need some way of keeping tension on the chains so it all stays timed correctly once it's assembled again.

Pulling the engine is the easiest way to do the swap...

You really think so? I didn't think it was that bad. The only PITA was replacing the valvesprings.

Users who are viewing this thread