#4 caged lower pulley 03/04 Cobra

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this,
but i keep seeing more and more cobra owners saying they have #4 lower caged pulley.
My question is whats the benefit running this as opposed to a matco lower pulley setup.
Lets here your thought.
Thanks
MB

MG0h3

Established Member
The cage takes some of the stress off the crank so rather than having all of the force transmitted to the crank, some of it is distributed to the block through the cage.

cj428mach

Established Member
Probably more information than you'd ever want to know about them.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...e-4lb-caged-lower-back-from-the-dead.1087017/

The 4lb caged lowers are pretty rare, so I'm surprised you've been hearing much about them. I believe the first guy made 26, I had 43 made.

1 of mine was destroyed by incorrect installation, 1 became a clock on my wall. I'm keeping 4 of them. That makes about 63 of them out there.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
is this based on the lightning/harley design that has a bearing and ties back to the block/cover ?

Yeah the cobra and lightning pulley setups very similar, in that they had a support bracket with a drive mechanism that ran the drove the blower. The cobra has 3 bushings where I believe the lightning only had 2, I've also heard the drive shafts were different length on the two setups.

My 4lb pulley kit replaced just the factory pulley and included an added support piece to prevent overtightening of the lower thanks to the added leverage. Everything else from the stock lower was reused.

decipha

Established Member
Is this something i could cut easily on the cnc machine? If theres enough demand and its not too time consuming i dont mind helping out, im an avid supercouper, i tried to help out the sc community a few years back making a custom crank pulley that gave 18% OD on the blower and 25% UD on the accessories in a simple and easy 5 min pulley swap deal. It picked up enough power to max out the injectors and blow the engine. I figured since it was the same price as the commonly used UD kit folks would hop all over it but in 4 years only 1 person has.

cj428mach

Established Member
Is this something i could cut easily on the cnc machine? If theres enough demand and its not too time consuming i dont mind helping out, im an avid supercouper, i tried to help out the sc community a few years back making a custom crank pulley that gave 18% OD on the blower and 25% UD on the accessories in a simple and easy 5 min pulley swap deal. It picked up enough power to max out the injectors and blow the engine. I figured since it was the same price as the commonly used UD kit folks would hop all over it but in 4 years only 1 person has.

Decipha I think people would love to have a 4lb caged lower, I don't know if the market will explode for them but I know people are still after them. A friend of mine told me he saw two of the 4lb lower kits I made fully assembled on lowers sold for $1175 and $1400 a few weeks ago. I originally sold the kits for $465-$525 depending upon if people wanted an idler.

The ultimate solution would be to upgrade the driveshaft assembly which I had plans to have made but just never got around to it. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to build these myself so I had to have a machine shop do it all. They really drag their feet on production because 20 pulleys is hardly worth their time, and they really can't get the price down where I'd like them to be. I was hoping to get these kits on par with Metco lowers or cheaper as it was never about money just helping out the community.

If its anything you want to pursue, I know I have junk driveshaft assemblies, stock lower pulleys, and I even have a 4lb caged lower I could send to copy off of.

Mike

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Decipha, this would be great. There will always be a small call for something like this IMO. Not enough to get rich, but you should always be able to move them.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
More than anything the tri-bar assembly needs to be re-engineered. Potentially a splined version. I have a pile of them stripped, snapped, and otherwise broken in my garage.

cj428mach

Established Member
shoot me a couple pics

I'm sorry Michael I forgot about this post. What exactly are you wanting pictures of? I think my thread here has about as many pics as I can get short of putting a tape on stuff.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...e-4lb-caged-lower-back-from-the-dead.1087017/

If you want to design a clean slate 4lb lower I have a stock pulley I can send you. Its just the pulley not the bracket, I think I have some damaged drive mechanisms if you're thinking of building those too.

Last edited:

VinnyGT

Established Member
Subscribed since I unfortunately sold my caged 4# lower to fund my build as I could use it right now anyways. Would have been way too much boost for pump gas.

decipha

Established Member
Thats cool i didnt know they had pics attached im on my mobile and have them disabled

ill check it out when i get some free time and see what all it entails and what it would cost

Users who are viewing this thread