4 post lift help please

Blown02

Established Member
Hey guys, my father and I are looking to buy a 4 post lift for our garage at our store.. Height is not an issue as the ceiling is about 25' or so.. We would like to put our vettes or porsches on the lift and store another car below as well as being able to work on the car in the air..

Ive seen some lifts with the tracks where the lift picks the whole car up vs the arms that pick the body up.. I think we would rather the lift with the tracks vs the arms.. And we would like it go jack the car high enough to where we could clearly walk underneath without problems.
Also it would need to be wide enough for a 345 rear tire..

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We have read a little about the commander 7000x, it seems nice..

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mulligan

Established Member
+1 on the sliding hydraulic jack.

Also, go with an American made one like Backyard Buddy or Bendpack. I bought a chinese knockoff and wish I hadn't. I was forced to for size reasons but it feels flimsy compared to the ones mentioned above.

007.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
I have been totally satisfied with my 7000 pound Bendpak four post lift.

I got the 120 volt version and don't even have it bolted down. It has been outside for 8 years now and since I keep the motor/pump assembly covered and the cables, sheaves, and glide blocks clean and well lubricated it has been the best investment for ease of working on my cars that I have ever made.
I keep one car parked on it all the time and raise it up whenever I need to drive my third car out of the garage. And I am considering buying a second one.
People ALWAYS want to throw their cars up on the lift for "just an hour or two".

cj428mach

Established Member
I think all 4 posts have tracks/ramps and all 2 posts have arms that lift off the frame.

2 posts can do anything but take a few minutes to get the car on it.

4 post you can be lifting in seconds but are mainly for working on exhaust, transmission stuff. I realize you can do anything you have the balls to with a 4 post but its not very easily done. I have a friend who removes the rear end from his 69 Camaro with a 2 post but most people would be frightened to death to do it. Just picture a cable come a long boomer and the rear axle of the car hanging off the back of the lift.

My father and I currently building a man cave and went with a 2 post lift because its versatility. Then we came across a 4 post at an auction and now we have both.

Last edited:

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I bought a Danmar 4 post 5-6 years back from Costco online. It is an overseas built unit but has been great and I use it quite a bit. Mostly for storage over the winter months but I also use it for service as well on my own cars. Costco no longer sells 4-posts but the Co still exists. I paid 1700 shipped when they had a $200 off sale on it.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
My father purchased a Bendpack 9000lb 4 post when he had his new garage built last year. Highly recommended, great customer service, and works like a charm!

null_zps94bb5144.jpg

null_zps11747f9e.jpg

null_zpsd8822e15.jpg

RGrossman

Established Member
Very happy with my Greg Smith 4 Post. Great price as well. I have 2 sliding jacks to lift the entire car off the lift. I am do everything I need to do and store my Porsche in the winter like below. 11'8" ceiling. High lift garage door conversion.

335851_2546440592207_739760973_o.jpg

gtmustang00

Established Member
For storage, 4 post, for working on the car, 2 post.

IMG951716.jpg

IMG953125.jpg

Before buying Bendpak, we looked at the Atlas lifts. Didn't like how they were built. Seemed cheaply made.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Where did you have your shipped......I know they need to go somewhere that has a dock access...

There is a Greg Smith dealer here in Georgia......I wonder how the quality of their products are? I know they carry Atlas and Direct Lift....

I really like Back Yard Buddy but they are twice the cost of even a Bend Pak...No reason for a lift to cost $4000+ when there are plenty out there for $3000 or less...

Last edited:

Blown02

Established Member
Thanks for all the posts..

I spoke to the shop that did the work on my car and they recommended these guys, they sold/installed all of the shop's lifts..

I spoke to the rep today and he's workin me up some quotes.. Told him we want quality, not some chinese knock off BS... He said MOHAWK is overkill for sure, he recommended a couple of other brands I cant remember.. Ill update when I see the quotes..
Told him we are looking for $3-4k installed

GRAND EQUIPMENT SALES AND SERVICE - Home

gtmustang00

Established Member
Rotary is an excellent brand. You see them in most dealerships and shops around here. Mohawk is expensive but overkill. Quality is decent, Bendpak is pretty good. The atlas looked cheap in person. That's what i learned from the research that i did.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Bendpak 9000st here. Love it. Mines hooked up to 240 electric--lifts the car up nice and fast. I'd avoid any of the knock off, Chinese crap. I paid $3k and got the low profile ramps, oil drip trays, and caster kit. It was dropped off at a Conway freight company and then they loaded onto my trailer. I hired two professionals to install it for $600.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
We have a Rotary asymmetrical and a Rotary four post(for oil changes and quick work). Both are nearly 20 years old and work flawlessly every day. Probably overkill if you are not using them in a shop setting.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
How did you all measure the height of your cars.....Per the Google 03/04 Cobra are 52.5 inches... (less obviously if its lowered)

Did you just go by that to use in your height requirements to see if you could install a lift?

I have 9 foot 5 inch ceiling height in my garage...I wonder if I could get a lift in mine. Bend Pak seems to have the adjustable stop features which I may need...

Why does the Bend Pak need air to lock the safety features when most don't have that feature.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
How did you all measure the height of your cars.....Per the Google 03/04 Cobra are 52.5 inches... (less obviously if its lowered)

Did you just go by that to use in your height requirements to see if you could install a lift?

I have 9 foot 5 inch ceiling height in my garage...I wonder if I could get a lift in mine. Bend Pak seems to have the adjustable stop features which I may need...

Why does the Bend Pak need air to lock the safety features when most don't have that feature.

It actually uses the air to release the safety locks when you want to lower the lift. You raise it up a few inches off the stops, press on the lock release button, the solenoids actuate, the locks release, then you lower it down. Between the cable locks and the pneumatic locks, I feel very safe underneath it! I've used it to do 2 exhaust systems on my own cars in the last few months, and numerous other jobs on my dad's cars. Needless to say I'd like to get out of my apartment and into a house with a garage with higher ceilings soon. Good luck OP:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread