4 thread repair before it happens?

blacknite51

Established Member
I have 2000 heads which are obviously 4 thread and are known to blow out. Well i was wondering if there is anyone out there that has put a lock n stitch or heli coil in all the spark plug holes before they have even blown out? I dont know if im thinkin on the right path to get 8 threads for cheap because i cant afford all new heads. I researched and didnt find anything about doing all the cylinders so i need some input.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
if you just make sure your plugs are properly torqued down and check them periodically you should be fine. One other trick could be to gap the plugs at .033-.034. I don't think it would be worth redoing all the threads in all eight cylinders unless you have problems with them all. There are a lot of people who have never had any problems with them.

Last edited:

smoke02

It's Cold Here
Established Member
I checked with my dealership and they would not estimate it. I brought up the same question and they were all confused. And all this would of been a employee discount. So I dont know what to tell you but if you find someone to do this let me know! Where in Wisconsin are you at? By the way the dealership was Bergstrom.

smoke02

It's Cold Here
Established Member
if you just make sure your plugs are properly torqued down and check them periodically you should be fine. One other trick could be to gap the plugs at .033-.034. I don't think it would be worth redoing all the threads in all eight cylinders unless you have problems with them all. There are a lot of people who have never had any problems with them.

I think he wants to solve this problem from the start. Just recently some threads came down of people blowing plugs even after torquing.

blacknite51

Established Member
yes thats my plan to take care of the problem before is starts. im now in the market for a built motor and am planning on doing the valvetrain and setting a point of 600 hp once i get my new motor broke in maybe higher.

junioRace

Established Member
I've said this a dozen times, but I highly recommend the lock n stitch. I believe they will work the best (the only ones that are specified by Ford to use in their TSB). If you are going built, it should be pretty easy to do them out of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread