401K contribution

4a7191a

Established Member
I've always done what the company matched. Currently it matches 5% and another 5% every quarter. So I hit it at 7% meet in the middle kinda deal. Now that the market is lower I went up to 10% til things settle out. From my last company I put it all in pimco bonds as to be safe with what's there.
401k can be great. Just gotta up it in the lows and when shit settles go back to normal. My uncle had well over a million in his when he retired.

nxhappy

Established Member
Where are they now and where do you think they will be in two years? - Noob with about 5k cush money.
amazon is pretty expensive at $2000. SO ....with 5000 I would throw it at microsoft and apple. in two years you could easily make 10-20%. JMO ...

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you buy these stocks directly from the company or do you have to go through a broker? If so what brokerage company would you all use?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
U dont lose till u sell. This is a marathon not a sprint. In the last 25 years ive never reduced my contribution when the market goes bear.

THIS is when u earn money vs. lose money. The jackasses that sold LOST money. The rest just wait for it to go bull again and then get rich lol. So bottom line is continue to contribute and if u can afford more than do so now!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
As soon as the economy tanked I started shuffling my 401K funds around (TSP). I'm positioned to make a killing once the economy comes back. Just hope that happens before I retire!

U.M.

nxhappy

Established Member
As soon as the economy tanked I started shuffling my 401K funds around (TSP). I'm positioned to make a killing once the economy comes back. Just hope that happens before I retire!

U.M.
hope you got microsoft and amazon =)

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Well.... that's not really how a 401K or the TSP works. I can choose between different funds, not individual stocks.

U.M.

I havent touched my TSP in years, most of it is still sitting in the 2045 L-Fund with a decent chunk in the I-Fund. Mind talking about what you did, I'd be worried about locking in any losses if started shifting any funds around.

As far as my current 401K (retired from the Navy in late 2018) I maxed it out last year and plan on doing the same this year. Current contribution is the minimum required for employer match and I use an end of year bonus to top it off. Our bonus is most likely killed for the current year so I need to bump my contribution up so I can max it out this year as well. I will also be maxing out my 2020 Roth IRA contribution next week, I have done the same the last 2 years as well.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I have a sizable chunk of my TSP in the L2050 and the rest in the "G" fund. My bi-monthly paycheck contributions including my "Catch-Up" contributions are also all going into the "G" fund. I track the daily returns on the L2050 and when they go down by a set amount I move some of my money from the "G" to the L2050. Basically I'm buying L2050 when the market goes down and L2050 shares are lower in price. When the L2050 goes up and surpasses a set point I transfer that money back out of the L2050 to the safer "G" fund. Lather, rinse, repeat. Just have to keep on eye on the funds so you know when to move the funds around. Was better a few years ago when they didn't limit the inter-fund transfers to just two per month.

U.M.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a sizable chunk of my TSP in the L2050 and the rest in the "G" fund. My bi-monthly paycheck contributions including my "Catch-Up" contributions are also all going into the "G" fund. I track the daily returns on the L2050 and when they go down by a set amount I move some of my money from the "G" to the L2050. Basically I'm buying L2050 when the market goes down and L2050 shares are lower in price. When the L2050 goes up and surpasses a set point I transfer that money back out of the L2050 to the safer "G" fund. Lather, rinse, repeat. Just have to keep on eye on the funds so you know when to move the funds around. Was better a few years ago when they didn't limit the inter-fund transfers to just two per month.

U.M.

Thanks for the info, I believe the only way I can transfer anything into my TSP after retirement is if I close my current 401K. At least thats what the people in finance told me. Im pretty sure Im able to make transfers but I just havent investigated it fully yet. I believe I found the section in my current policy that states that but just havent taken the time to translate all the legal-eze. I need to call Fidelity directly and talk to them I suppose.

nxhappy

Established Member
Well.... that's not really how a 401K or the TSP works. I can choose between different funds, not individual stocks.

U.M.
yes, I realize that lol. But you COULD get individual stock, or use a roth IRA.

nxhappy

Established Member
True. I used to hold a bunch of communication stocks years ago, but dumped them. Haven't bought stock since.

U.M.
now is the time my friend. most stocks are about 20-30% off. Just buy amazon and never look back.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Open a Roth IRA if you don't already have one and start contributing to that instead of increasing the contributions to the 401k.
I agree 100%, Roth is a great way to go. You think your taxes will be less when you retire? Pay the now, let that money grow without a partner (The Govt), then when you retire it is all yours and you can avoid the astronomical taxes we will see in the coming years!

Users who are viewing this thread