408 guys in here

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
building up a 408 over the winter. just wanted to see if there are any others on here with a 408. im lookin to make 550 at the crank NA which seems attainable. those of you with 408's what kind of numbers are u putting down? track time?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
You should build it with around 9:1 CR and then slap a blower on it later. It'd still be pretty healthy with 9:1 CR.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
He does not want a blown car. He wants N/A. 550 hp is easily attainable

I never said 550 wasn't easily attainable. :shrug: I'm well aware that it is. It was merely a suggestion as in most cases people always say they want X amount of power, but when all is said and done, they start searching for more. Like I said, 9:1 would still make for a healthy motor, and if he wanted more power via forced induction, it'd be ready to go for the most part. Once again though, just a suggestion. How about you let the man speak for himself too, eh?

Oh, and to the OP, check out the www.hardcore50.com forums. Lots of smart folks and lots of info over there if you do some searching around. There aren't too many pushrod people on this forum.

Last edited:

blk00gtvert

Established Member
i too would like to know. I am almost done building a first gen lightning and i dont have a clue wha it is going to make for power:shrug:
it is a 408 with 12.5:1 compression,canfield heads,big solid roller cam,jedsel rockets,spyder intake and wilson TB. any idea what this will make?
i am guessing 500 RWHP???

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
i too would like to know. I am almost done building a first gen lightning and i dont have a clue wha it is going to make for power:shrug:
it is a 408 with 12.5:1 compression,canfield heads,big solid roller cam,jedsel rockets,spyder intake and wilson TB. any idea what this will make?
i am guessing 500 RWHP???

is the cam custom ground? should make at least 500 at the tire thats a pretty high compression.

9.5 comp may be a good idea but i really dont plan on boosting anymore. i had an s-trim on my 302 and it has been nothing but problems. yea after is all said and done i may end up wanting more but i think 500 will be enough for a while.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
What kind of problems?

had to send the blower in twice to vortech. fixed under warranty but it was a pain in the ass. they were using bad sets of bearings so i was leaking oil back through the powerpipe.

then after that was all sorted out, the colder temps outside caused me to run 15psi on the stock pulleys/stock motor. my head gaskets didnt like that too much.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
Ouch that sucks. Did Vortech atleast have good customer service?

it wasn't great. they didnt tell me about the bearing problem till the second rebuild which is kinda shady if u ask me. i feel they should have reimbursed me for the shipping i had to pay for to send it out there, since the bearing problem wasnt my fault why should i have to pay for shipping?

i will be hesitant to go with another vortech product in the future.

blk00gtvert

Established Member
is the cam custom ground? should make at least 500 at the tire thats a pretty high compression.

9.5 comp may be a good idea but i really dont plan on boosting anymore. i had an s-trim on my 302 and it has been nothing but problems. yea after is all said and done i may end up wanting more but i think 500 will be enough for a while.

i dont really know what cam is in it unfortunetly... it was in the truck when it was bought. it sounds nasty as hell though.:shrug:

it was really worn out so i built another shortblock and stuck the old heads and cam back in it.
thanks for the help though:beer:

97cobraheaven

Established Member
when i lived in kansas this guy had takin a v6 sn95 and dropped a big ass engine in it, and I want to say it was in the 500 cube range. thing was huge

Users who are viewing this thread