4Runner-possible trans issue?

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
Having an issue with my wife's 4Runner. It feels like the front left tire is running over a rumble strip. It's intermittent. Took it to my mechanic up here and he couldn't find anything wrong in the front end. He thinks it may be the torque converter coming apart and suggested I get a second opinion. Any ideas? Any good recommendations for a transmission place to take it in Frederick County? I'm in Monrovia, about 2 1/2 miles from 75-80.
Thanks

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
I'm no expert by any means, but I've seen this on a few occasions. The trans in my dads truck started to do this same thing. I suggested dumping a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix in it. It's been fine for a year now. A friend of mine also swears by BG Transmission Conditioner.

I would drop the pan. Not all fluid will come out, that only happens with a full flush. If you have over 80k miles, and that's never been done, don't do it. Put pan back on, add bottle of Lucas or BG (I would do Lucas) then top off with fresh fluid.

Sure beats the price tag of labor/parts bill, and certainly won't hurt anything. Could only make it better.

Sent from inside "The Man Cave"

DE07GT

Established Member
I'd get a second opinion before messing with the transmission. I've seen a bad inner tie rod do that even though it visually looked fine. You could tell by the play in the tie rod when the steering was locked.

Users who are viewing this thread