4v Aluminator short block info?

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Hey guys . I was wondering what information is out there on the Ford Racing aluminator ?
I have had one in my car for 2 years now and have had good luck so far with my setup . I am not even close to pushing its capabilities .
They are warranted at 700hp for 12 months or 12k miles and are currently priced at 3800 bucks from American muscle . I know the basics on the engine but I can't really find a parts list for all the components used . It's a Cobra rotating assembly so that would be manley ?
How much lighter is it compared to the iron block? Would it be the same weight as a teksid block ?
Also curious if it compares to a teksid block ? Is one any better than the other ? Is anyone out there pushing an aluminator up over 1000hp ? High miles ? Do they have a weak point ?
I have 10k miles on mine so its hardly broke in . Just a few things I am concerned about as I plan to put a 3.4 whipple on it at some point . I'm sure it will handle it , just wondering what owners experiences have been thus far .

Stanger00

Established Member
AFAIK they use the later WAP aluminum block. The oil pump gears are a concern if you will be spinning high rpms. I think they are slightly heavier than the teksid and I don't know much about if it is stronger or not. I never planned on going much over 700 with it.

I have a 46sc with 2 valve heads and I bought it in February 2012. It's running just fine with low 600hp. I didn't change the oil pump gears so I have some anxiety about them failing when I ring out the rpms up to or over 6500.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I've been trying to figure out exact brand names/part numbers for the component numbers but it seems as if that info is lost from Ford. It's basically as strong as the poem cobra short block.

This is as much confirmed data I was able to collect as fas as internals.

Compression ratio:

8.5:1 (nominal)

Crank:

OEM cobra Forged Kellog steel 8-bolt crank

Pistons/rings:

Forged Mahle 16.0 cc dish pistons & rings (moly rings?)

Piston to wall clearance: ?

Connecting Rods:

OEM cobra Forged Manley H-beam rods (They just don’t have the SVT stamp)

Here's a link that talks about weight and stuff:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

Last edited:

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
AFAIK they use the later WAP aluminum block. The oil pump gears are a concern if you will be spinning high rpms. I think they are slightly heavier than the teksid and I don't know much about if it is stronger or not. I never planned on going much over 700 with it.

I have a 46sc with 2 valve heads and I bought it in February 2012. It's running just fine with low 600hp. I didn't change the oil pump gears so I have some anxiety about them failing when I ring out the rpms up to or over 6500.

The WAP block is the 05-10 mustang gt 3v block ? Which oil pump is used ? Just a factory Cobra pump ?

Edit: After reading more , it is not a WAP block . It is the Nemak block used in the 05-10 mustangs . Also cast at the Windsor Assembly Plant .

Last edited:

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I've been trying to figure out exact brand names/part numbers for the component numbers but it seems as if that info is lost from Ford. It's basically as strong as the poem cobra short block.

This is as much confirmed data I was able to collect as fas as internals.

Compression ratio:

8.5:1 (nominal)

Crank:

OEM cobra Forged Kellog steel 8-bolt crank

Pistons/rings:

Forged Mahle 16.0 cc dish pistons & rings (moly rings?)

Piston to wall clearance: ?

Connecting Rods:

OEM cobra Forged Manley H-beam rods (They just don’t have the SVT stamp)

Here's a link that talks about weight and stuff:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

Some great information ! " According to the official blurb from Ford Racing, this is one stout block that will rival any previous offering in aluminum" That quote makes me feel all warm inside . haha .

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Some great information ! " According to the official blurb from Ford Racing, this is one stout block that will rival any previous offering in aluminum" That quote makes me feel all warm inside . haha .

I'm running a eliminator over the tasked for the same reason.....

Stanger00

Established Member
The WAP block is the 05-10 mustang gt 3v block ? Which oil pump is used ? Just a factory Cobra pump ?

Edit: After reading more , it is not a WAP block . It is the Nemak block used in the 05-10 mustangs . Also cast at the Windsor Assembly Plant .

I thought it came with the FRPP hv oil pump. I was told that they have the same PTW as the iron blocks and the piston ring gap is the same as a Terminator. Can not verify this. This is also why I probably will not turn up the boost past 16 and 18. If I change my intake and run E-85 it will make up to or over 700hp to the wheel.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Subbing for info. The teksid blocks are so well proven and work to 1000+ whp I'm thinking they're a good bargain now. With the new WAP blocks or aluminator blocks commanding the high dollars the teksids are much more affordable.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Subbing for info. The teksid blocks are so well proven and work to 1000+ whp I'm thinking they're a good bargain now. With the new WAP blocks or aluminator blocks commanding the high dollars the teksids are much more affordable.

The beauty of an aluminator is you just buy it and drop it in . No hidden costs or issues you might encounter with rebuilding a teksid . I think Ford Racing discontinued the 4.6 Aluminator , although they are up for grabs on American Muscle . Not sure if they have them in stock or not . If they are no longer available then teksid would be the route I would take as well .

There has got to be more whippled/ kenne bell aluminator guys out there?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The beauty of an aluminator is you just buy it and drop it in . No hidden costs or issues you might encounter with rebuilding a teksid . I think Ford Racing discontinued the 4.6 Aluminator , although they are up for grabs on American Muscle . Not sure if they have them in stock or not . If they are no longer available then teksid would be the route I would take as well .

There has got to be more whippled/ kenne bell aluminator guys out there?

What hidden costs or issues are you referring to with the teksid? It was my understanding you have to grind down the knock sensor bosses on the top of the block and there's one missing bolt hole for the timing cover which apparently you can tap and thread if you want or just simply silicon over and ignore. Is there more to it I'm missing?

Or are you referring to buying a completely built Aluminator vs building a teksid motor from a block? If so I see where you're coming from. I already rebuilt my motor in 09 and prefer to do it that way again. I know exactly what's in there and what every bearing, ring, and piston clearance is etc. You know how that goes... if you want it done right do it yourself :)

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
What hidden costs or issues are you referring to with the teksid? It was my understanding you have to grind down the knock sensor bosses on the top of the block and there's one missing bolt hole for the timing cover which apparently you can tap and thread if you want or just simply silicon over and ignore. Is there more to it I'm missing?

Or are you referring to buying a completely built Aluminator vs building a teksid motor from a block? If so I see where you're coming from. I already rebuilt my motor in 09 and prefer to do it that way again. I know exactly what's in there and what every bearing, ring, and piston clearance is etc. You know how that goes... if you want it done right do it yourself :)

Yes , that's what i'm referring to. Finding a teksid and building it . My buddy built one not long ago and I believe he had to have it bored out and get larger diameter pistons as there was some minor cylinder wall wear, that's likely normal though . He is on svtp , maybe he will chime in .

I honestly don't know much about building an engine or about any of the block s for that matter . I was just poking around looking for some information and seen there wasn't a lot out there . I agree with you on building it yourself , no wonders or worries knowing exactly what you have . If I had the time and money when I replaced my engine , I probably would have considered having my iron block built. It was a rush job and get it back on the road as soon as I could lol . I still have it in the crate if I ever decide to .

Users who are viewing this thread