5.0 4v vs 4.6 4v ??

Jamie R.

Established Member
I have been watching the track times and power numbers the new 5.0 4v is making. I have also seen guys port heads and put cams in these 4.6 engines and not make near the power or run the times the 5.0 is doing. Why is the 5.0 4v making so much more n/a than our 4.6 cars? Is there cams available now that could push a 4.6 like our cars to the 5.0 numbers? The engine being that much bigger making that much of a difference? I'm full of questions on this item. I would love to stay n/a and make 400 to the tires but thew blower seems a cheaper route than n/a for our new edge cars.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Technology with independant variable cams, better heads, intake, exhaust, and tuning along with additional CI's...

My 99 is a lot less expensive than a new 5.0 but, they're mighty cool. I'd love to have one but then, I'd have to mod the suspension, brakes, chassis, wheels, hmmm... kind of the same in that respect.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Technology with independant variable cams, better heads, intake, exhaust, and tuning along with additional CI's...

My 99 is a lot less expensive than a new 5.0 but, they're mighty cool. I'd love to have one but then, I'd have to mod the suspension, brakes, chassis, wheels, hmmm... kind of the same in that respect.

Although you said heads, you forgot to mention another big reason: the 5.0 has an 11 to 1 compression ratio while our 99/01 Cobra 4.6's have 9.85 to 1 CR.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Yeah, that too and that is possible due the independant variable timing and probably the cam/crank sensors being relocated to the rear of the motor allowing more precise tuning. Man that's a cool car, I think my wife should by one and I could then relegate the Cobra to OT duty only.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Totally different engine. Far better heads, Ti-VCT is definitely a big culprit. The ability to advance the cams as the RPMs rise gives the ability to idle quietly as a stock cam and then in the upper RPM range be as aggressive as any stage 3 race cam. Better intake manifold. Higher compression. Better piston and head lubrication.

I *heart* new 5.0.

matt87

Established Member
simply put, technology and evolution. seems like every 10 years since the 80s engine hp levels have raised 100hp. 200-250 was the norm for stangs in the mid 80s to early 90's then the 4v of the late 90s to mid 00 was 280-320. you get the idea.

cobraracer46

Banned
I have been watching the track times and power numbers the new 5.0 4v is making. I have also seen guys port heads and put cams in these 4.6 engines and not make near the power or run the times the 5.0 is doing. Why is the 5.0 4v making so much more n/a than our 4.6 cars?

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Compression really wakes up the 4.6 engine and people are reluctant to increase the compression ratio.

Another mistake people make is installing cams that are too large for the stock compression ratio and when that happens, cylinder pressure is lost and the car feels like dog on the street.. Add compression, cams and port the heads, intake and the 4.6 will wake up.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Yeah, that too and that is possible due the independant variable timing and probably the cam/crank sensors being relocated to the rear of the motor allowing more precise tuning. Man that's a cool car, I think my wife should by one and I could then relegate the Cobra to OT duty only.

Engine swap. I love the sn-95 look too much to give it up. Would rather have the best of both worlds IMO. OP the new 5.0 DOHC is really quite ahead of the 4.6 DOHC. They are related in that they are both DOHC and a Ford engine, and that is about it.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Yes I understand the technology point. Just dang amazing how that engine pulls the numbers being na and the 4.6 is just about a waste of time and money na when you consider what has to be spent to get near 400 vs the easy blower route. Deserteagle, the engine swap is a heck of an idea, I just wonder how hard it would be to work out the VT part. I would imagine somehow the new computer would have to go in there also.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Doubt with ported heads and cams the 4.6's would be that far behind a newer 5.0. with cams and ported heads i would suspect a 4.6 4v would be close 390 crank HP. 30 for good port job and 45 for Cams?

As stated before..5.0 has 302 vs 284 4.6...technology and higher compression ratio in the new 5.0

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Yes I understand the technology point. Just dang amazing how that engine pulls the numbers being na and the 4.6 is just about a waste of time and money na when you consider what has to be spent to get near 400 vs the easy blower route. Deserteagle, the engine swap is a heck of an idea, I just wonder how hard it would be to work out the VT part. I would imagine somehow the new computer would have to go in there also.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Who is Deserteagle?

The 5.0 heads flow much better and to sum it up in one word...

torque

^^^^^^This. The coyote cylinder heads flow over 300cfm. Matter of fact they out flow the FGT heads on the intake side and are very close on the exhaust side. Ford states that the new heads flow more than any other as cast factory production heads, anywhere. Thats saying something.

Does the "new" technology fit our cars?

What do you mean?

Jamie R.

Established Member
My bad, I meant desert cobra. I saw in the other thread , I think on the voodoo cams, that someone mentioned a guy hitting 370 with stage 2 comps. I did'nt think it was possible to hit that high of a number with just a cam swap. Anybody else heard of hitting that kind of numbers with just cams being swapped?

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Higher compression, better intake manifold, better heads, and of course more cubic inches make the new engine much better than the 4.6. However, a stroked or big bore'd 4.6 with "properly" spec'd cams and ported heads will easily make more power than a stock 5.0.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
My bad, I meant desert cobra. I saw in the other thread , I think on the voodoo cams, that someone mentioned a guy hitting 370 with stage 2 comps. I did'nt think it was possible to hit that high of a number with just a cam swap. Anybody else heard of hitting that kind of numbers with just cams being swapped?

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

MM&FF just swapped a set of cams into their project Mach 1. Bolt ons+comp cams+ported intake netted them 378rwhp. They also swapped to a built short block but the compression was the same as stock(10.1) so thats not really a factor. With ported heads and a short runner they would almost certainly have made 400+rwhp.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Are parts off of the 4.6 and 5.0 interchangeable?

no

...that someone mentioned a guy hitting 370 with stage 2 comps. I did'nt think it was possible to hit that high of a number with just a cam swap. Anybody else heard of hitting that kind of numbers with just cams being swapped?Jamie R.'01 Silver Cobra

It's very easy to get 370rwhp with just cams and that is much cheaper than spending $35k for a new car/engine. However, some poorly thought out combinations have aceheived much less than 370rwhp with cams, heads and intake. Sould you imagine spending $5k and not hitting 370?

Last edited:

01MGSVT

Established Member
yes the new 5.0 is amazing!!
but how about the 2011 V6 making 305HP, thats what a stock mach 1 is rated at :shrug:
its time to upgrade my 01 cobra powerplant :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread