5.0 Fox vs 97 Cobra.. Who wins?

mr2cam

Established Member
Ok I have 2 friends that are about to race, and I was wondering who you think will win this race.

97 Cobra - JLT CAI, 4.56 gears, M/T 275/40/17 DR's, flowmaster catback

89 Fox Vert - 93 5.0 Engine, 3.73's, 5speed, Toyo 275/40/17 street tires, MAC headers, Mac H-Pipe, Mac catback, BBK CAI, 6 point cage.

The fox just weighed in today at 3500 with a full tank and the 160lbs driver.

Who do you guys think wins from a roll? From a dig I think the Cobra will take it due to the tires. Were gonna do this race this weekend but I thought I would get some guesses before we go out. I think it will be a close race from a roll.

We will have video from the races btw and due multiple runs.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
Ok I have 2 friends that are about to race, and I was wondering who you think will win this race.

97 Cobra - JLT CAI, 4.56 gears, M/T 275/40/17 DR's, flowmaster catback

89 Fox Vert - 93 5.0 Engine, 3.73's, 5speed, Toyo 275/40/17 street tires, MAC headers, Mac H-Pipe, Mac catback, BBK CAI, 6 point cage.

The fox just weighed in today at 3500 with a full tank and the 160lbs driver.

Who do you guys think wins from a roll? From a dig I think the Cobra will take it due to the tires. Were gonna do this race this weekend but I thought I would get some guesses before we go out. I think it will be a close race from a roll.

march underdrive pullies, centerforce clutch, driver mod...

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
from a dig and from a roll, I think the cobra will put about 1-2 cars on him before they both let off at 110. Stock H/C/I combo foxes, especially verts, are slow pigs. The BBK CAI is hurting his performance and the cobra has no business having 4.56 gears IMO.. no offense, just experience talking.. Get a AFN powerpipe and a cobra or gt40 intake at least if you wanna hang with a 97 cobra.. for a stock N/A mustang, they are no slouch.

Last edited:

SVT543of2003

Established Member
from a dig and from a roll, I think the cobra will put about 1-2 cars on him before they both let off at 110. Stock H/C/I foxes, especially verts, are slow pigs. The BBK CAI is hurting his performance and the cobra has no business having 4.56 gears IMO..

An H/C/I fox will lay down close to 300 at the wheels. A stock 97 Cobra is about 300 bhp as well. In that match-up I call the fox the winner, but here where the OP didn't say the fox had heads, cam, intake etc and the Cobra has 4.56 gears, I give it to the Cobra if he can drive it like he stole it.

Dusten

Established Member
from a dig and from a roll, I think the cobra will put about 1-2 cars on him before they both let off at 110. Stock H/C/I combo foxes, especially verts, are slow pigs. The BBK CAI is hurting his performance and the cobra has no business having 4.56 gears IMO.. no offense, just experience talking.. Get a AFN powerpipe and a cobra or gt40 intake at least if you wanna hang with a 97 cobra.. for a stock N/A mustang, they are no slouch.
the cobra with 4.56's is the 97, they are awesome gears for a car that never sees high way. The BBK CAI came on the car, i just bought it. Although, i dont see how its hurting anything.

The 89 is getting GT40 heads/intake and E cam next month. the parts are in my garage.

An H/C/I fox will lay down close to 300 at the wheels. A stock 97 Cobra is about 300 bhp as well. In that match-up I call the fox the winner, but here where the OP didn't say the fox had heads, cam, intake etc and the Cobra has 4.56 gears, I give it to the Cobra if he can drive it like he stole it.
no, the fox doesnt have HCI, not yet.

SilverELEX

Established Member

Why do you say that? Those gears kick ass in a car like that. As for my opinion if the Cobra can get traction, it has the win easily.

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
sure they would be great! unless you are actually going to be driving the car on a semi regular basis. IMO 4.10's are plenty of gear and almost too much for daily beating..

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
the cobra with 4.56's is the 97, they are awesome gears for a car that never sees high way. The BBK CAI came on the car, i just bought it. Although, i dont see how its hurting anything.

The 89 is getting GT40 heads/intake and E cam next month. the parts are in my garage.

no, the fox doesnt have HCI, not yet.

Trust me.. I thought my BBK CAI was neat. Until I realized how hot it was really making my IAC and then I got a power pipe.. Night and day... :beer:
You have a good start.. With that setup and some longtubes.. you'll be in the high 12's easy..

Dusten

Established Member
Trust me.. I thought my BBK CAI was neat. Until I realized how hot it was really making my IAC and then I got a power pipe.. Night and day... :beer:
You have a good start.. With that setup and some longtubes.. you'll be in the high 12's easy..

i wont be going long tubes. the car is going to be a DD for a year in san diego. im no noob to 5.0's, my last car was a 94 cobra with gt40x heads, forged short block, KB, x cam, full exhaust, gears, locker... blah blah blah.

I want to race from a dig too.
I also have an auburn with the 3.73's, 31 splines, upper and lower control arms and a few other bits and pieces.

StangJason

Established Member
So how did the race(s) turn out? You are talking about missed gears but not the results.

I would say the 97 Cobra is a 13.0-13.4 car with said mods and a pretty good driver. I would say the Mustang Vert with said mods is a 14.0-14.4 with a pretty good driver assuming the engine is running strong. Most of the times I've seen from cars like these came in hot and muggy Montgomery, AL and I saw most close to stock Fox body Mustangs running 14s to 15s and mine seemed unusually strong for a close to stock Mustang, I was even accused of spraying my a Firebird owner after I beat his 14.4 1/4m.

See my sig for what an LX that weighed in around 3100lbs could do with a bit more mods than the vert.

Dusten

Established Member
So how did the race(s) turn out? You are talking about missed gears but not the results.

I would say the 97 Cobra is a 13.0-13.4 car with said mods and a pretty good driver. I would say the Mustang Vert with said mods is a 14.0-14.4 with a pretty good driver assuming the engine is running strong. Most of the times I've seen from cars like these came in hot and muggy Montgomery, AL and I saw most close to stock Fox body Mustangs running 14s to 15s and mine seemed unusually strong for a close to stock Mustang, I was even accused of spraying my a Firebird owner after I beat his 14.4 1/4m.

See my sig for what an LX that weighed in around 3100lbs could do with a bit more mods than the vert.

tomorrow...
the missed gears is ribbing. we have know each other for years, and spend our summers at the local track.

Stopsign32v

Established Member

There is no way in hell the 5.0 with those h/c/i will keep up with a N/A DOHC Cobra with 4.56 gears unless the Cobra driver sucks. Now if we are talking AFR or TFS heads with a non ABC cam then I would say the 5.0.

mystical

Established Member
Why do you say that? Those gears kick ass in a car like that. As for my opinion if the Cobra can get traction, it has the win easily.

+1. Hell, if the Cobra was stock he would still probably win (No offense to the fox owner) but with a shitty driver anything is possible.

Last edited:

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
the cobra has no business having 4.56 gears IMO.. no offense, just experience talking..

How many 96-01 Cobras have you had with 4.56 of larger gears?

They are a little much on the highway, but are very livable in a dialy driver and are an absolute must to get the most performance out of these cars.

A 4.10 is the bare MINIMUM that I would put in an N/A 4.6 Cobra.

BTW, drivers aside, the Cobra will rape the Fox vert. Even with a mild H/C/I the cobra will probably win.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
+1. Hell, if the Cobra was stock he would still probably win (No offense to the fox owner) but with a shitty driver anything is possible.

i don't doubt he'll win. But, he owes me a little payback
here are a few video's. the silver L is mine, the black is my best friends
(the bike is mine too)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I51PPUCVH0]YouTube - racing in ww[/ame]
and no, he wasnt really wheeling, he tried to turn around

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYF7_M-4BIs]YouTube - goofing off in Walla Walla[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo8bawvaWQI]YouTube - MR2 vs Cobra[/ame]

and just for mr2cam, here is your missed shift...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=352cb98bik8]YouTube - CT27 Accel[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread