5.0 Fox vs 97 Cobra.. Who wins?

Dusten

Established Member
I'll run you on the lowest boost setting against your fox, and I told you that I would race you on your tiller with me at 26psi once I get my meth installed but you said you didn't want to get your bike ready just to race me. I was trapping only 3mph slower then you in the 1/8th last year with a lot less hp then this year ;).
the bike is gone monday. movers are coming to get it. and you are trapping the same in the 1/8th... you havent seen it run the 1/4

So you used stock pistons on a .030 over block?
stock compression and material. they are .030 pistons, and the block was align bored and torque plate honed.

^^ yea no wonder it doesnt run good.......
its runs just fine :beer:

I'm pretty sure he used oversized pistons but just stock compression.
and as stated above, they are just simple hypertuetics

he stated it is a stock short block(ie rotating assembly)

if it was built correctly that combo would work the Cobra
its built correctly, i have faith in my builder...
stock rods and crank and all that good stuff.

I completely agree you with you on that one.
we'll find out, as soon as the weather clears

Jroc

Established Member
N/A SBF > N/A Modular.

A Foxbody with all the popular boltons including some 3.73's is a fun little car. Never been in a Mustang with 4.56's, but a N/A Modular car with anything but steep gears is a pretty boring car compared to the torquey feel of a SBF.

mr2cam

Established Member
the bike is gone monday. movers are coming to get it. and you are trapping the same in the 1/8th... you havent seen it run the 1/4

stock compression and material. they are .030 pistons, and the block was align bored and torque plate honed.

its runs just fine :beer:

its built correctly, i have faith in my builder...
stock rods and crank and all that good stuff.

we'll find out, as soon as the weather clears

Looks like friday or saturday would be good days to race, both say 10% chance of rain, we shall see if misscleo is right this time. Dusten u wanna race me from a roll or dig?

Dusten

Established Member
lets do both.
hopefully my parts will be here...
i broke my tensioner yesterday, cause im so manly

mr2cam

Established Member
lets do both.
hopefully my parts will be here...
i broke my tensioner yesterday, cause im so manly

:uh oh:

hopefully my new intercooler gets here, I hit a racoon and it snapped my frount mount in half. Oh and last night I was trying to tune my car and I have been having a problem with it misfiring, I thought it was because of too much fuel, but the afr's were good, pulled the plugs today and they were all gapped to .050 instead of the .028 that they were suppose to be, doh

Last edited:

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member

What was wrong with the old block? (sorry if it was mentioned earlier) And why would you (unless you have a 93) downgrade to hypertuetics from forged?

It's not like a mild H/C fox would in anyway shape or form hurt those pistons.. but if you got big plans for the motor it isn't that good of an idea.

BTW I'm gonna be devils advocate here, and say unless the fox is tuned, its gonna lose both roll and dig.

4.56's and DR's on a modular is gonna be damn near impossible to catch with a mild H/C vert on a 3.73 and non drag radials. From a roll the modular is gonna still be breathing hard once the aero's/weight of the vert come into play on the big end.

oh and RACE ALREADY GODDAMNIT! :beer:

Dusten

Established Member
What was wrong with the old block? (sorry if it was mentioned earlier) And why would you (unless you have a 93) downgrade to hypertuetics from forged?
the motor is out of a 93 SSP. And i dont know the miles, or usage, so why keep it?

It's not like a mild H/C fox would in anyway shape or form hurt those pistons.. but if you got big plans for the motor it isn't that good of an idea.
this isnt my first engine, or my first car. I know what works, what doesnt, and i know parts limits. if i was making big plans for this engine, i wouldnt have kept the stock block.

4.56's and DR's on a modular is gonna be damn near impossible to catch with a mild H/C vert on a 3.73 and non drag radials. From a roll the modular is gonna still be breathing hard once the aero's/weight of the vert come into play on the big end.

i bet the weight is a lot closer than you think.

mr2cam

Established Member

BTW I'm gonna be devils advocate here, and say unless the fox is tuned, its gonna lose both roll and dig.

oh and RACE ALREADY GODDAMNIT! :beer:

The motor that was in his car was a 93 motor, so he didn't have a choice, I believe almost all the parts for the car he had from an older motor, he was trying to keep it a low budjet project. The race should almost definately go down either friday night or saturday afternoon if the weather channel is right.

Dusten

Established Member
The motor that was in his car was a 93 motor, so he didn't have a choice, I believe almost all the parts for the car he had from an older motor, he was trying to keep it a low budjet project. The race should almost definately go down either friday night or saturday afternoon if the weather channel is right.

thats pretty much it. i had most of the parts, bought a few things, did all the work ourselves(other than the machine work on the block) and kept the cost down. yet somehow i was still 2500 into it

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
the motor is out of a 93 SSP. And i dont know the miles, or usage, so why keep it?

this isnt my first engine, or my first car. I know what works, what doesnt, and i know parts limits. if i was making big plans for this engine, i wouldnt have kept the stock block.

i bet the weight is a lot closer than you think.

I wasn't trying to bag your setup, don't get me wrong. But what is wrong with the stock 302 block?

A factory stock forged shortblock in good working order can make ~460rwhp reliably when tuned correctely. Although it prolly wouldn't make a good daily.

Then add in a good forged rotating assembly, main girdle, and the most important thing.. VALLEY GIRDLE, and you could push near 600+ out of it. Most people forget to tie the lifter galley together, when the block is prone to split down it. I know someone who had a HEALTHY 347 with a factory block and was hitting that bitch with a 250 all the time on the street. The motor gave but it had some seasons on that engine for sure.

anyway good luck, and practice some powershifts @ 5500, unless you still got the t5 in there :D

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
I wasn't trying to bag your setup, don't get me wrong. But what is wrong with the stock 302 block?
i dont intend to run a 302...
the plan for the car is a 408.

and i absolutely hate being at somethings limits. If a block can handle 600, i wouldnt feel good being anywhere over 500. i just dont like that feeling at all.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All they're gonna do is keep the parts in a neat mess when the block splits....the WILL NOT stop the block from splitting.

:dw: No shit sherlock if you throw 1000rwhp at it. Nothing effectively STOPS a block from splitting. You make it seem like there is no benefit. EVERYTHING HAS ITS LIMITS.... but a upper and lower girdled 302 will handle 150+ more rwhp than a non girdled motor. :idea: Thats a great 2-300 dollar investment.

i dont intend to run a 302...
the plan for the car is a 408.

and i absolutely hate being at somethings limits. If a block can handle 600, i wouldnt feel good being anywhere over 500. i just dont like that feeling at all.

I hear ya.. good luck with that build.. you planning on a sick N/A setup or power adders?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread