5.0 getting replaced by 4.8L?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I haven't heard anything about this motor prior to this article, but it kind of follows the trend of downsizing for efficiency. Curious if there is any more info on this potential engine.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-unveil-new-48liter-v8-in-detroit-93615.html

Ford's 5.0-liter Coyote V8 engine might not be long for this world. A recent report finds the Blue Oval will introduce a brand-new eight-cylinder engine during the Detroit Auto Show that will open its doors in a few short weeks.

The V8 will be a 4.8-liter unit. It will remain naturally-aspirated, but it will return better gas mileage than the Coyote engine thanks in part to the use of both direct and port fuel injection systems.

Ford Authority explains the 4.8-liter -- whose name hasn't been made public yet -- will boast a higher compression ratio than its predecessor. That will in turn give it more power, though full specifications aren't available yet. The Coyote generates 435 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque when it's installed between the fenders of the current Mustang GT.

If the rumors are accurate, Ford's next V8 engine will debut simultaneously under the hood of the 2018 Mustang GT and the 2018 F-150. In both cars, the new engine will be complemented by more tech features and a revised look. An earlier report claims the V6-powered Mustang will be axed for the 2018 model year.

The Blue Oval is keeping its lips tightly sealed, so we'll have to be patient to find out what the company will show in the nation's motor city.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-unveil-new-48liter-v8-in-detroit-93615.html#ixzz4Td8krrkI

4a7191a

Established Member
Saw this on fox news, wish Ford would go up in size, make a 5.8 coyote for the trucks and mustangs.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Downsizing? With Trump as our president? lol ain't gonna happen devil. The golden years are coming back. HP wars.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Nope again this is all due to Obama and his 35 MPG CAFE standards that he so forced passed on the American people 3 years ago.

I guess GM and Chrysler can ask for another bailout when they are forced to pay the fines for not hitting the targets on this.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Downsizing? With Trump as our president? lol ain't gonna happen devil. The golden years are coming back. HP wars.

Coming back? We ARE in the golden years. Cars are so powerful nowadays that automakers are having to take other measures to make them faster because they're putting down more power than can be actually used in most situations. Some of them are even decent on gas in spite of that. We've never had it this good.

I heard the rumor about the 4.8L on Mustang6G but it was shot down by Ford pretty quickly. Apparently it was just an idea they threw around when they were working on the Coyote. Personally I'm excited about the possibility of combined port/direct injection making into the next-gen Mustang. The tuning potential would be awesome, especially on the Ecoboost.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
So a 4.8L unit with both port and direct injecting systems, sounds like a high revving and still very powerful unit.
Why upsize when you can have higher revs? Could be a mean engine, could be stupid.

oldmodman

Established Member
Ford should just take the 4V mod Motor and create completely new tooling to get to 572 cubic inches. 1000 Horsepower NA or 2600hp twin Turbo. Make the motor a 20K option in anything it will fit in. Upgrade the entire drive train to handle it at the same time.
Show Chevy and Chrysler where they can stick their cars once and for all.

CV355

_
Established Member
Nope again this is all due to Obama and his 35 MPG CAFE standards that he so forced passed on the American people 3 years ago.

I guess GM and Chrysler can ask for another bailout when they are forced to pay the fines for not hitting the targets on this.

-Federal regulations set by people who don't understand how things actually work
-Regulations/mandates pushed on manufacturers
-Manufacturers scramble to come up with solutions that meet new regulations
-Some armchair quarterback in a Monday morning meeting probably said "well uh if we just make everything lighter it'll take less gas to move. derrrrr I'm gonna take 97 weeks of vacation. You guys figure it out"
-Engineers wind up shaving mass out of everything
-Initial development runs highlight all of the weak areas- wind up spending more on capital and tooling to correct issues than usual 2 or 4 year cycles
-Powertrain/drivetrain cludging leads to premature wear/failure (CVTs anyone?)
-Value of newer vehicles plummets fast due to high rate of degradation/failure
-Now we have a market flooded with lemons, people in debt to their eyeballs and no equity, and less aftermarket support/high repair costs due to so many engineering iterations

This is what happens when the people in charge have no damn clue what they're doing. This would be a good "thanks Obama" joke, but the reality is that most management (and government is the highest form of management in a way) do not understand the consequences of their actions and only got to where they are by oversimplification, delegation, and claiming success at the expense of people who actually work for a living.

Last edited:

Blackoyote

Established Member
I heard the rumor about the 4.8L on Mustang6G but it was shot down by Ford pretty quickly. Apparently it was just an idea they threw around when they were working on the Coyote.

This^, only I saw it on Road and Track's FB page...and they literally changed the story within 2 minutes saying 'Nevermind, Ford says this isn't a thing'.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
On the f-150 forums and they say the 4.8 turbo will go into the f-150.
Can someone link to where Ford shot down this rumor?

long live the 5.oh.

Zemedici

Established Member
On the f-150 forums and they say the 4.8 turbo will go into the f-150.
Can someone link to where Ford shot down this rumor?

long live the 5.oh.

What i've read (and heard being in the industry) is that the 4.8 is for F150s only, not mustangs.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm interested in what Ford is going to do with the GT to keep it competitive with the 6th gen.

GT350 heads, and 8000 rpm would probably put it right around 470hp.

DropSVT

Established Member
"A inside source of ford casted heavy doubt on this ever happening" doubt it will happen. Articles have been edited since this source came out

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

He couldn't clean the taint of a soiled donkey let alone make a good decision on emissions and mpg.

Pitfyter13

Coming back? We ARE in the golden years. Cars are so powerful nowadays that automakers are having to take other measures to make them faster because they're putting down more power than can be actually used in most situations. Some of them are even decent on gas in spite of that. We've never had it this good.

I heard the rumor about the 4.8L on Mustang6G but it was shot down by Ford pretty quickly. Apparently it was just an idea they threw around when they were working on the Coyote. Personally I'm excited about the possibility of combined port/direct injection making into the next-gen Mustang. The tuning potential would be awesome, especially on the Ecoboost.

Ford should just take the 4V mod Motor and create completely new tooling to get to 572 cubic inches. 1000 Horsepower NA or 2600hp twin Turbo. Make the motor a 20K option in anything it will fit in. Upgrade the entire drive train to handle it at the same time.
Show Chevy and Chrysler where they can stick their cars once and for all.

i want the gt 5.2 l

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
it would be nice if they could squeeze out more mpg out of the V8. like a vette. but they'd have to shave some serious weight off im sure

I got news about the upcoming GT500 as well!
It will have four wheels!
so still no spare huh?

Users who are viewing this thread