5.0 into a Lightning

dustylightning

Established Member
Will it bolt up to transmission? Can the factory computer run the Lightning transmission and the Ford Racing Parts harness and computer be used for the motor or would it be better to go with a standard trans?????:shrug:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Will it bolt up to transmission? Can the factory computer run the Lightning transmission and the Ford Racing Parts harness and computer be used for the motor or would it be better to go with a standard trans?????:shrug:

you must be crazy. A stock coyote swap would slow you down and cost a ton to do. A better swap would the GT500 engine or new 6.2L.

JAA55

Established Member
I looked into it some, you will need a controller for the trans as its electronic shift. you will need to go with a return style fuel system and a ford racing control pack. Everything should bolt up. Im sure you will run into a bunch of little problems as swaps go. The gauges will be an issue. I know a 05 swapped car and I believe it was a bolt it. I couldnt tell you if the engines are balanced the same with out doing some research

What makes a GT500 engine superior?? Im sure you could score a coyote much much cheaper and the potential is just as much, take the extra money you save and buy forged internals and throw some boost at it. The coyote is supposed to have superior heads

when I modular swapped my fox it wasnt the most cost effective thing to do, I just wanted to do it....so i did

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I looked into it some, you will need a controller for the trans as its electronic shift. you will need to go with a return style fuel system and a ford racing control pack. Everything should bolt up. Im sure you will run into a bunch of little problems as swaps go. The gauges will be an issue. I know a 05 swapped car and I believe it was a bolt it. I couldnt tell you if the engines are balanced the same with out doing some research

What makes a GT500 engine superior?? Im sure you could score a coyote much much cheaper and the potential is just as much, take the extra money you save and buy forged internals and throw some boost at it. The coyote is supposed to have superior heads

when I modular swapped my fox it wasnt the most cost effective thing to do, I just wanted to do it....so i did

Coyote has smaller heads. They flow about the same though. You'd be surprised how cheap you can get a used engine for. Also the 5.4 was introduced mid year 97 F150. It's a truck motor with a huge 4.165" stroke. It makes excellent lowend power which is ideal for a 4,700 lb truck.

I do love the new Coyote motors, but I would never consider one for my L.

Just build the bottomend, buy a set of TFS heads for it, get some custom ground cams ground for your application, and get a blower of you choice,(I would go with one of those kits to put a GT500 blower on a L and buy a VMP TVS 2300) and you will have one badass, torque monster of a L that still makes a ton of topend power.

Everyone tells me to throw my Terminator motor in my L and I'm like **** that shit I'd rather just build my 5.4.

Last edited:

dustylightning

Established Member
I don't think I'm crazy!!!!!!!!!

I have no motor at all right now and can't decide what the hell to do. Salvage Lightnings are anywhere from $3700 and up plus shipping.:shrug: The 5.0 has more power and isn't even supercharged yet and it will have millions of parts and upgrades available and it is probably a lot stronger built bottom end then the 5.4.

4a7191a

Established Member
check out on the mach1registry site, a guys selling a built 5.4L dohc for 6500 i think. its got everything in it. that would be a worthy swap. slap a turbo kit on it and call it a day.

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
The coyote in your truck with your same blower would smoke that 5.4 and me and my nephew proved it.my nephews truck is on most of the other forums but it's a 2011 5.0 with a Roush blower 11.32@119 and 12.90's on the motor with a cai,tune,traction bars and dr's.check out Stang TV.com (Charlie Coopers 2011F150 5.0)

Stoffer

I paid my buck-o-five
Established Member
I have no motor at all right now and can't decide what the hell to do. Salvage Lightnings are anywhere from $3700 and up plus shipping.:shrug: The 5.0 has more power and isn't even supercharged yet and it will have millions of parts and upgrades available and it is probably a lot stronger built bottom end then the 5.4.

I understand, I posted the same idea on a couple other forums and all the nay sayers are out in force...

yes it will bolt up

yes it make more peak power (I was going to swap to a 4r70 for the transbrake option, weight loss, etc)

even the wiring can be converted so it will operate the stock Lightning Cluster...

right now I've priced it about to about $8500 (brand new everything) with me and my friends doing the labor. most Lightning guys drop more than that in a rebuilt 5.4

Users who are viewing this thread