5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords magazine no more?

Softballer77

Established Member
So, I've been waiting for each monthly edition to come out eagerly as my Shelby had a tech article done for it. October edition was supposed to be out Aug 1, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of it. I'm currently out of the country and have to use the electronic edition to see them.

Just read somewhere that 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords has dissolved possibly? Has anyone heard anything about this? The article/photos were done all the way back in February. I'm going to be upset if it got killed with the mag going away...if it actually did.

7t7ta400

Established Member
yes it has been discontinued in its place you will get HOT ROD for any remaining copies you have left on your subscription and HOT ROD calls this good news

Softballer77

Established Member
yes it has been discontinued in its place you will get HOT ROD for any remaining copies you have left on your subscription and HOT ROD calls this good news

What the heck...Hot Rod? I mean, I like the mag but only if I want a general hot rod magazine. I like my mustangs-only mag.

Hot Rod...I'm baffled. Now I'm wondering what's happening with my tech article. Guess I'll be making phone calls on Monday...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What!? 5.0 IMO was the better magazine. I really hope this is not true.

'Tis entirely true. I posted a couple of threads about it in RS.

What the heck...Hot Rod? I mean, I like the mag but only if I want a general hot rod magazine. I like my mustangs-only mag.

Hot Rod...I'm baffled. Now I'm wondering what's happening with my tech article. Guess I'll be making phone calls on Monday...

Good lucking getting hold of someone, pretty much everyone was either laid off or left.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It was my understanding that you could get Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords as a replacement. If you already subscribed to Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, you would be able to extend its subscription.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
It was my understanding that you could get Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords as a replacement. If you already subscribed to Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, you would be able to extend its subscription.

I got my first Hot Rod magazine this week and the artificial cover explained that it was replacing the now defunct 5.0&SF. Since 5.0 and MM&FF are both published by the same company now, and they are at least the same genre, it seems logical to me that they would have simply extended my MM&FF subscription. How does that not make more sense? Hot Rod? They might as well have given me a subscription to Vanity Fair!

I'm going to contact the lame brain publisher and try to get this changed.

On a side note, I noticed months ago that Editor Turner had come to SVTP, and 5.0&SF hadn't really addressed his departure or announced an official replacement. This was about the same time Evan Smith told me he was now responsible for both MM&FF and 5.0 (at the 50th in Charlotte). All this leads me to believe there is an interesting story to tell here, and I'd love to hear it.

Now my personal opinions on the mags: I grew up reading Super Ford as a kid in high school before I got my license. I still have old copies stored away. I loved it. When MM&FF came out as the new kid on the block with the extremely long name, I watched closely, but didn't get hooked until the issue where they raced the 235 hp 1993 Cobra against the 275 hp 1993 Camaro. Everyone knew we were overmatched, but the MM&FF group didn't let that slow them down. From that moment on, I was hooked. In 1994 at the 30th in Charlotte I believe, I saw 5.0 for the first time. Thin and light on content compared to the powerhouse Super Ford, I took out a subscription anyway because it focused on only the new stuff.

For years I had three concurrent subscriptions to those three mags. I must admit, Jim Campisano and MM&FF soon rose above the rest. 5.0 &SF merged. Evan took over when Campy moved up, and still I liked MM&FF better. Recently, I have to admit 5.0&SF's new model in-depth tech articles have been better (reference the Trinity and Coyote stories), but aside from that, MM&FF still held my favor.

Both mags had gotten away from what made them great, however. The scientific comparisons, back-to-back dynos of not just one company's hardware, but a shootout amongst various manufacturers' cold air kits, H and X pipes, intakes, heads, etc. I can only speculate why they got away from this model. I think it's because the manufacturers didn't want their products cross tested in such a way, especially if it meant the possibility of finishing second. They'd rather bolt on their preferred package and compare it to stock and leave the consumer with nothing to compare to the competition but marketing copy and billboards.

dragonknight

I think that was one of the worse magazines ever just like mustang monthly and car craft. I do believe they are (almost) all owned by one company and I've seen in some magazine that one of the ford only mag's will be revamped with its literature and other stuff to take over where 5.0 left off. what ever that mean's. its not the end of seeing a mod motor or some random mustang being modded on. not the end of the world.
I still got their mag's once in awhile and it seemed that every month they gotten worse and worse especially after my buddy called them out on a few articles they had written.

and another thing, for the past like 2-3 months no body has been carrying new magazines like wth?

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Yes, I recently was updated on my magazine as well. As stated, I do NOT understand why we are getting Hot Rod instead of an extension to MM&FF. Personally, I preferred 5.0 over MM&FF. The heavy drag coverage never hit a strong nerve with me and 5.0 just seemed like more of a easy-going crowd. MM&FF seemed more snob-like.

Well, to top that off. I just received my Mustang Monthly. Guess what, it is now merged into Modified Mustangs. That just SUCKS BALLS! MM was the ONLY vintage Mustang Magazine around and it was darn good. I don't know what idiot in management thinks someone that is into vintage Mustangs will enjoy Modified Mustangs features. Really SUCKS!

All 4 of these magazines are owned by the same conglomerate. I think they just screwed up royally.

This all explains why Turner and Farr left as Editors. Kinda reminds me of the demise after Colletti left.

Tom

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The "Green" movement should be ecstatic about all the trees that no longer need to be cut down.

I started reading Super Ford back in the early eighties and watched it throughout all the changes as it eventually morphed into 5.0 MSF. My favorite articles were the tech filled writeups that Tom Wilson did. It'll be missed and I'm sorry to see the entire industry finally give way to electronic media. There was something nice about opening the mailbox and flipping through the pages at the edge of the street...

Here's a good article on the times back then...http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/m5lp-0211-mustang-history/viewall.html

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Called 5.0 Friday, to report a missing issue. ( Aug. 2014 ) She did confirm that the Sept. 14 issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords would be the last one.
Found out the remainder of my subscription, ( Mar21 ), would be filled by Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords..

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I too received Hot Rod in the mail. :bored:
I'm gonna call them to see if I can extend my MM&FF subscription instead.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Sad for the end if an industry, but I learned more on the forums than from any magazine. I used to love MM&FF back in the day, when they called it like it was .

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes, I recently was updated on my magazine as well. As stated, I do NOT understand why we are getting Hot Rod instead of an extension to MM&FF. Personally, I preferred 5.0 over MM&FF. The heavy drag coverage never hit a strong nerve with me and 5.0 just seemed like more of a easy-going crowd. MM&FF seemed more snob-like.

Well, to top that off. I just received my Mustang Monthly. Guess what, it is now merged into Modified Mustangs. That just SUCKS BALLS! MM was the ONLY vintage Mustang Magazine around and it was darn good. I don't know what idiot in management thinks someone that is into vintage Mustangs will enjoy Modified Mustangs features. Really SUCKS!

All 4 of these magazines are owned by the same conglomerate. I think they just screwed up royally.

This all explains why Turner and Farr left as Editors. Kinda reminds me of the demise after Colletti left.

Tom

There's a simple reason why they're doing this, it bumps the circulation numbers of their larger mags. Larger circ numbers mean they will be able (in theory) to charge more for advertising.

VegasMichael

Established Member
The "Green" movement should be ecstatic about all the trees that no longer need to be cut down.

I started reading Super Ford back in the early eighties and watched it throughout all the changes as it eventually morphed into 5.0 MSF. My favorite articles were the tech filled writeups that Tom Wilson did. It'll be missed and I'm sorry to see the entire industry finally give way to electronic media. There was something nice about opening the mailbox and flipping through the pages at the edge of the street...

Here's a good article on the times back then...http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/m5lp-0211-mustang-history/viewall.html

Thanks for reminding me that the years are passing faster than intestinal gas after a burrito. Two names jumped out at me right away in that article: Tony DeFeo and Kenny Duttweiler. Tony wrote some great articles and I remember reading how he did some minor mods to a 5.0 LX and did 13's back in the 80s. He was a very entertaining writer who virtually disappeared. As for Kenny, I managed to con Dad into cosigning for me a new Buick Turbo after I finished undergrad school. Kenny was THE go-to guy for modifications. I was living in the Philadelphia area at the time(80s-early 90s) and 5.0's and Buicks were the rage. Sigh. They were the best of times, and the oldest of times....

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Oh yeah. I remember all the obscure ones. I'll raise your Defeo with Cliff Gromer. Ha! Top that one.

:D

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Both mags had gotten away from what made them great, however. The scientific comparisons, back-to-back dynos of not just one company's hardware, but a shootout amongst various manufacturers' cold air kits, H and X pipes, intakes, heads, etc. I can only speculate why they got away from this model. I think it's because the manufacturers didn't want their products cross tested in such a way, especially if it meant the possibility of finishing second. They'd rather bolt on their preferred package and compare it to stock and leave the consumer with nothing to compare to the competition but marketing copy and billboards.

The advertising dollars became so important with reduced circulation they weren't willing to antagonize anyone. The comparo's went away. The young guys don't read print, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread