5.0 vs 03 Cobra

ATX5.0

Established Member
I Went to a meet in Mexico last nite to meet up a couple friends
Guy in the SB 03 cobra is a good guy I recently met that agreed to a couple runs on the tolls.

Only got one clean run bc a stupid driver in a stock mach1 kept on cutting me off and lining up next to the cobra.
Btw he was getting dragged and left behind by 5+ lengths. Well We Finally lined up went from 40-120.. And yes I was terminated, the cobra edged me out by a fender.
Cobra mods from what I remember: pulley, exhaust and a tune.
My mods: full exhaust, boss manifold, tune and I was on drag radials NTO5r
There is a video out there and I'll try and get it and post. I'm sure some of the guys that were there will chime in,
Happened south of the border near RR TX

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Nice admitting a defeat...don't see that too much in relatively evenly matched cars.

Usually excuse matrix is brought out to explain every defeat.

ATX5.0

Established Member
Nice admitting a defeat...don't see that too much in relatively evenly matched cars.

Usually excuse matrix is brought out to explain every defeat.

All in fun. I don't take myself too seriously when it comes to winning or losing lol. The cobra is flawless, something like 30k miles on it.
I'll eventually get my hands on a higher mileage cobra as a project/race car.

HandBanana

Established Member
Nice run OP! I've yet to meet a bolt-on 5.bro around the central TN area that will outrun my pullied Cobra. I respect both cars equally, it's just fun to show the new guys whats up here and there. :beer:

ATX5.0

Established Member
Nice run OP! I've yet to meet a bolt-on 5.bro around the central TN area that will outrun my pullied Cobra. I respect both cars equally, it's just fun to show the new guys whats up here and there. :beer:

Yeah man, my very first time running one.. My time was coming sooner or later to take a loss, but I'm glad it was to a cobra.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
What gearing and are you auto or stick? I ran a few Coyotes back when I was pullied and was always about 2 cars on a full pull from 40 to about 130, don't think any had a Boss mani. His car may have also been pulling timing if he had already done a few pulls.

Last edited:

ATX5.0

Established Member
What gearing and are you auto or stick? I ran a few Coyotes back when I was pullied and was always about 2 cars on a full pull from 40 to about 130, don't think any had a Boss mani. His car may have also been pulling timing if he had already done a few pulls.

I forgot to mention that. It's an M6, 373s with an MGW. I also have some weight reduction. Car weighted in 3496lbs at the local track this past weekend with half tank of gas.
We are supposed to run again soon
Maybe We can go to 135/140 this time

Oh and yeah he had ran a Camero a couple times. Vid of said Cobra is up on 3H fb pg.

HandBanana

Established Member
Yeah man, my very first time running one.. My time was coming sooner or later to take a loss, but I'm glad it was to a cobra.

No shame in that sir. People underestimate how closely matched these cars actually are when it comes to bolt-ons. You guys make power much, much easier on boost though.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Sounds like you had a good run. With your 3:73 and DR's im betting the outcome would have been different from a dig. Win some you lose some.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I spent a good 30 minutes arguing with this guy from the YouTube channel RWYB Racing about two videos he has up of him beating modded Terminators easily in his 5.0 and I told him no way but yet he argues his car "is just a freak". He has a Cobra Jet intake, Tune and OR Exhaust. I don't even think he has long tubes but to me it still wouldn't matter. Going up against a Cobra with a ported blower, exhaust, tune putting down 525/525 and his shows a dyno sheet of 425/375 and he pulls a car before they even shift gears. I told him no possible way unless it's got a blower but his video shows under the hood which I missed the first time b/c I skipped forward to the race. I told him it has to have spray or something. This proves it, or the video is fake. I ran my buddy who has an 03 Cobra, handheld tune, 2.76 upper and 4.10s and he got me by a car and a half from 40-120 and jumped nearly a full car right off the hit. Oh and he has a vert with 285 wide street tires - the ones in these videos were Terminator Coupes

Last edited:

Rios302

Established Member
I was wondering what kind of supporting mods you have in your car. I say this because from experience, choosing the right parts makes a difference. My friend for example modified his 2011 Mustang GT with a Saleen body kit and 20 inch wheels and compared to my car, his car is 3720 lbs with a full tank of has while mine is 3580 lbs also with a full tank of gas. When it comes to mods, he also has a lot more mods: Boss 302 manifold, bbk throttle body, cai, bbk shorty headers, bbk xpipe, roush axle backs and a Bama tune. By comparison my car just has a Bama tune and borla axle back. The real difference between both cars came down to weigh and gears. His car still has stock 3.31s which are not ideal for his Boss 302 manifold set up, while my car has 3.73s.

Here is some recorded footage on a private close road for proof.[video=youtube;HBwRGzHAFj0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBwRGzHAFj0[/video]

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Videos! I want to play. This is me (old setup - pullied eaton) vs. a '15 with 3.73 & intake\catback, no tune. If you watch the driver mirror you can see him fade. This was from 40.

[video=youtube;6LnP9kB3_vs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LnP9kB3_vs[/video]

Last edited:

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Videos! I want to play. This is me (old setup - pullied eaton) vs. a '15 with 3.73 & intake\catback, no tune. If you watch the driver mirror you can see him fade. This was from 40.

[video=youtube;6LnP9kB3_vs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LnP9kB3_vs[/video]

Exactly. I own a 2012 5.0 tuned with or X and readily admit a pullied cobra w tune and I'm toast. Some guys just can't accept that but it's science. A dig race is totally different. 100%. We all know a 2.8" pulley cobra with a tune has 50 more hp and 75 more torque and is for the most part lighter than a coyote. Silver stangs video must have been against a stock terminator with a 2x4 block stuck under the gas petal

Users who are viewing this thread