5.3L Stroker SB

Fooj

Established Member
I don't see may threads on people who bought the 5.3l stroker short block. I was looking to see if something bad happened to my 03 where i needed a new engine what my options are since now that the car is 16 yrs old. I guess you can go get some blocks off of ebay but i didnt see any new 4.6l cast iron blocks for sale. All i could find is that 5.3l offer by Ford Performance i believe. Has anyone know anyone using this kit? I guess its not bad since you can get it for like 6k with full forged internals. Also its 5.3l and you know what they say "“no replacement for displacement"

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You're not going to find new blocks for these cars. But there are tons of used blocks in good shape out there. Have you figured out what happened to your current engine?

I used the Boss block in a previous build. It was before everyone started offering the crate shortblocks. I liked it. I still have the shortblock for future use.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Didn't that 5.3 have head gasket sealing issues under high boost?

There are plenty of used blocks that can be cleaned up both iron and aluminum, I wouldn't worry about a brand new block

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Didn't that 5.3 have head gasket sealing issues under high boost?

There are plenty of used blocks that can be cleaned up both iron and aluminum, I wouldn't worry about a brand new block

Yes. But I think that was when people started chasing 1500+. I was high 600's and didn't have any issues. And my centri dyno graph was as flat as a PD blower set up.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
That 5.3 short block from Ford is a one size fits all. What I mean is it is built to use 2valve, 3valve or 4valve heads as it’s sold. What you end up with is a fixed compression depending on what heads are used. Even worse though is pistons that have valve reliefs cut for all 3 heads. This leaves several weak areas in the piston crown where reliefs are cut that you don’t even need for a 4 valve head. Some have had failures because of this. Workmanship is not of the best quality either. One member received the short block and every piston was installed backwards with the valve reliefs on the wrong side.

If you have to replace a shortblock. Your best bet is to have yours rebuilt by a reputable shop or build new to your specific needs/wants.

I had my own thread quite sometime back on this very shortblock and I’m passing on the info that was given to me. I’m sure there are ones out there with no issues but I would stick with something specific to your wants and needs. Not a cookie cutter one size fits all shortblock.

Ken

Fooj

Established Member
You're not going to find new blocks for these cars. But there are tons of used blocks in good shape out there. Have you figured out what happened to your current engine?

I used the Boss block in a previous build. It was before everyone started offering the crate shortblocks. I liked it. I still have the shortblock for future use.

Nothing is wrong with mine besides maybe some valve seals are dried up (smoke on start up at times). I was just wondering what people are doing when they need to rebuild a motor and i saw that only product thats new are those 5.3L stroker's.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Nothing is wrong with mine besides maybe some valve seals are dried up (smoke on start up at times). I was just wondering what people are doing when they need to rebuild a motor and i saw that only product thats new are those 5.3L stroker's.
There's still plenty of parts out there for rebuilding the 4.6.

GodStang

Established Member
I agree with the above and find one of the hundreds of 4.6L iron or Alum blocks and have a shop build it. That is what I did back in 2005.

decipha

Established Member
The modular engine isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They still have small block fords that people find dating back to the 60s and 70s.

07gttom

Established Member
I have the 5.3. Stock heads and cams. 15 psi conservative tune 612 rwhp

03' White Snake

Established Member
I thought MODMAX was offering new 4.6 blocks last time I was looking.

You can order brand new crate motors from several reliable companies.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
You're much better off reliability wise doing a 4.6 build with an aluminum block. You can make all the power you'd ever want with just that tiny little 4.6. I made 1346whp with mine last year on a twin turbo combination.

Acquire a teksid or nemak block, a stock cobra crank, molnar power adder rods and work from there.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I will be building an aluminum block on the side for a "just incase" situation.

I have it left over from a car I bought and had issue with. I figure it'll give me and my son something to learn on over the next couple winters.

Users who are viewing this thread