5-6 shifting issues at high speeds/RPM

G-Force

Established Member
I just got back from running at the Texas Mile this weekend, and I ran into issues shifting from 5th to 6th gear all weekend long. I tried adjusting my shift points between 5800-6200 RPM (150-155 MPH), but I could not get it into the gate, and it was very frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this? I heard from a few other guys at the track with Tremec trannies having issues too, but I didn't get a chance to speak to anyone directly.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey I was there too. I was able to go all the way to 185 in 5th, but I had an issue getting into 5th on my last run. I know the tranny gears are different on later models. What shifter are you running? I've heard quite few guys on boards complain about getting it in 6th at high speeds.

G-Force

Established Member
Sorry I missed you out there. We're you in the red/white car number 500? If so I should have chatted with you longer.

I am running the SVT shifter. I installed 3 years ago so I could be wrong. I missed 5th gear one time but 6th was my issue on both days. Any suggestions on a better shifter?

einehund

Established Member
I normally shift to 6th at about 180 and haven't had any issues yet. 5th is a pain to find when you are powershifting, but no issues with 6th.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the MGW and had an issue with it, so no recommendation. I did replace my clutch line with a steel braided line and seems to make the clutch more responsive. I would suggest giving that a try. I did see your car. I was in the white, stripeless 2012 with 330 on the quarter windows.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The problem I had with my GT500....

at WOT, trying to shift from 4th to 5th was impossible at high rpm. It would not go into gear, only grind. I gave up trying. All races ended at the top of 4th gear for me.

Also the reason why I never took it to a 1/2 or 1 mile event, would have been a waste with this problem.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I use to have the issue, but honestly since I went with my MGW I have not had a problem shifting into 5th. Now I have not tried power shifting, but thats to my fear of it going into reverse.

Yes I know there is a lockout feature. Its just me.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Have a 2012 and also experience lockout from 4-5 at high speed/rpm. Had to let the rpms die away a little before it would go in. However, since switching to the Amsoil I have not had as much a problem. What works best for me is a gentle side push from 4 to 5, literally. Using just the open palm of my hand, sometimes I am afraid that I went back into 3rd...

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
WOT 4th to 5th has been an issue for me as-well. I had the chance to run around MIS (Michigan International Speedway) in my hometown and had trouble doing pulls against my buddies C5 after about 150mph down the back stretch. I was very frustrated. Since then I put Redline fluid in the tranny and it seemed to help a little but still felt some lockout. The best remedy to this so-far for me is to not try so hard slamming into 5th. If you slip it into 5th while the RPM's are around 4500 instead of slamming it like most of us do (just like a 2nd to 3rd) it will go in. I think when we are in a rush we are actually getting locked out of Reverse and not 5th. I am excited to see what my shifter will do when I get that done this winter for spring.

Sorry for stealing your 5th to 6th thread. I have not had this issue at WOT.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've had the same issue going 4-5 on the road course. Frustrating when you can't keep accelerating into 5th so just let it coast in 4th before braking for the next corner. :lol:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You guys must really be into top end speed, my car in 5th the needle is buried. Never even thought about shifting to sixth, I always thought you could top out in 5th.

einehund

Established Member
You guys must really be into top end speed, my car in 5th the needle is buried. Never even thought about shifting to sixth, I always thought you could top out in 5th.

With the stock blower, I topped out at 181 in 5th, when i shifted to 6th i dropped down to 177. I'm still running the stock pulley too. I'm pretty sure an extra 50-100hp would make 6th more useful. Also with the PP kit with the gears it probably makes a difference too.

SVTConvict

Established Member
Will a MGW or Barton help the 4-5 shift? I got locked out there. The 1-2 and 4-5 the only thing I miss about early Honda days were the butter like shifts.

farmrig650

Established Member
after a track day my car got the 5th gear lock out, ford replaced 5th and reverse. As long as you just do a simple guide from 4th to 5th it will go in now at any rpm. Hope it holds up to the next track day...........................

G-Force

Established Member
Thanks for the numerous posts and suggestions. I am surprised to see so many of you having issues with the 4-5 shift. That only occurred once for me during my two races to the Texas Mile. The 5-6 shift is what seems to be my biggest issue, but less so for others. I will try the fluid change and look at shifter options as well.

M1A....

Established Member
I've never had the 5-6 issue. Just the 4-5 shift at high rpm's. It sucks. I was running an AMG E55, and it took me 3 attempts to get into 5th. Just long enough for him to pull ahead. :kaboom:

Radiologue

Driver Enthusiast
Established Member
Same issue with mine but only 1st to 2nd...so no drag racing for me. Luckily, I am into road course events and rarely if ever need a 1-2 shift, but If I had the same issue at other gears changes like 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th then I would be extremely upset. There is an obvious recurrent problem with these cars in this regard. I watched a segment on the new 2013 model...the person from Ford being interviewed admitted that this problem was resolved for the 2013 model GT500. It would be nice to know what the exact problem was that they fixed.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My car doesn't go into 5th from the top of 4th either - any known fixes for this?

Users who are viewing this thread