5.8!!

Tex Arcana

Established Member
2013-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-5.8-liter-V8-Engine-4-600x399.jpg

:rockon:

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Debuts as Most Powerful Production V8 in the World with 650 Horsepower, Top Speed of 200+ MPH.
02-2013-ford-shelby-gt500-opt.jpg

Holy. Fokking. Azzcrackers. :eek:

I WANT ONE!!! Okay, I can't afford one... But when the crate motor hits... MUAHAHAHA!!
vCw96.gif

Jroc

Established Member
What is the exact bore on it? From my understanding I believe a 3.700" bore gives a 5.4 358ci's, and 5.9L's.(once rounded)

I would like to see one with a badass 2v setup. Maybe some CNC ported TFR heads, and custom ground cams to match whatever poweradder setup you go with.

Hell I just want to see what a well build 2v 5.4 will do with a good 2300 TVS blower. IMO with this 5.8L setup in a 2v configuration like I mentioned that you'd have a very nasty street setup. I bet it would have an amazing torque curve. Maybe use a VMP TVS blower. Hell the 2013 GT500 come factory with a Eaton 2300 TVS so why not that blower maybe ported, lol? Fun to dream!

Last edited:

08fordgt

Established Member
What is the exact bore on it? From my understanding I believe a 3.700" bore gives a 5.4 358ci's, and 5.9L's.(once rounded)

I would like to see one with a badass 2v setup. Maybe some CNC ported TFR heads, and custom ground cams to match whatever poweradder setup you go with.

Hell I just want to see what a well build 2v 5.4 will do with a good 2300 TVS blower. IMO with this 5.8L setup in a 2v configuration like I mentioned that you'd have a very nasty street setup. I bet it would have an amazing torque curve. Maybe use a VMP TVS blower. Hell the 2013 GT500 come factory with a Eaton 2300 TVS so why not that blower maybe ported, lol? Fun to dream!

Y a 2V? DOHC is where it's at!

Jroc

Established Member
Y a 2V? DOHC is where it's at!

I depends on your application. In a car yes, and for all out HP yes. Believe me I have a Terminator.(even though I wrecked it) I a truck I prefer a health 2v as it's best power is down low and makes a ton of low end torque that the 4v's don't which really help get things motivated and it's good for what I use it for which is towing/hauling, and IMO a health 2v sounds better than a health 4v.(thats not to say a 4v mod isn't a great sounding motor) Trust me you can build a badass 2v even though it seems more of them are 4.6 based motors as opposed to 5.4 based motors for some reason. Check on Modular Powerhouses forum, and you'll see plenty of 281/284 ci 2v motors that straight put the positive displacement blower 4v motors to shame. The threary behind why the 2v Mods do so well against the 4v mods with TS blowers is that while a N/A, turbo, Centrifugul blower, or N2O setup's prefer overall flow a positive displacement blower really like exhaust velocities as much as overall flow. One of the things a 2v Mod does have on a 4v Mod is it has higher exhaust velocities. Whether or not this theory is correct or not IDK, but you can't argue with what people like Tim at MPH has done with a 4.6L 2v Modular and a TS blower. Also people are making some extremely impressive #'s with these new Trick Flow 2v heads in all setups. I was very impressed with the #'s people were making with them N/A even B/F I got my L.

Overall yes the 4v Mods are much better performance motors than the 2v Mods, but don't just discredit what a well built 2v Modular can do. Here are some old video's.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5IR6XAoCc"]Tim Barth from MPH @ MMP - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPf1tTEp-h0&feature=related"]Jim Fitz - When 10's are not enough... (9 second 2v GT) - YouTube[/nomedia]

Here's some 2v L videos BTW. Here one making almost 750 whp with a Whipple 3.4, TFR heads, and a E85 tune, but that's very impressive for only 18 psi.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1aVYhWVrQ"]Ford Lightning 742hp/722tq! - YouTube[/nomedia]

Here's 65fastback22's truck after his recent build. Lets see a Terminator make this kind of torque with a M112 and no other poweradder.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkqPQqs_mrE"]Ford Lightning Dyno - GT500 2v Power! 475 rwhp / 570 rwtq - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The bore is 3mm larger than a 5.4L. The guys at SVT told me 2v heads won't work on the new block. I'll try to get more details on it in the next few weeks.

Tex Arcana

Established Member
I depends on your application. In a car yes, and for all out HP yes. Believe me I have a Terminator.(even though I wrecked it) I a truck I prefer a health 2v as it's best power is down low and makes a ton of low end torque that the 4v's don't which really help get things motivated and it's good for what I use it for which is towing/hauling, and IMO a health 2v sounds better than a health 4v.(thats not to say a 4v mod isn't a great sounding motor) Trust me you can build a badass 2v even though it seems more of them are 4.6 based motors as opposed to 5.4 based motors for some reason. Check on Modular Powerhouses forum, and you'll see plenty of 281/284 ci 2v motors that straight put the positive displacement blower 4v motors to shame. The threary behind why the 2v Mods do so well against the 4v mods with TS blowers is that while a N/A, turbo, Centrifugul blower, or N2O setup's prefer overall flow a positive displacement blower really like exhaust velocities as much as overall flow. One of the things a 2v Mod does have on a 4v Mod is it has higher exhaust velocities. Whether or not this theory is correct or not IDK, but you can't argue with what people like Tim at MPH has done with a 4.6L 2v Modular and a TS blower. Also people are making some extremely impressive #'s with these new Trick Flow 2v heads in all setups. I was very impressed with the #'s people were making with them N/A even B/F I got my L.

Overall yes the 4v Mods are much better performance motors than the 2v Mods, but don't just discredit what a well built 2v Modular can do. Here are some old video's.
Tim Barth from MPH @ MMP - YouTube

Jim Fitz - When 10's are not enough... (9 second 2v GT) - YouTube

Here's some 2v L videos BTW. Here one making almost 750 whp with a Whipple 3.4, TFR heads, and a E85 tune, but that's very impressive for only 18 psi.
Ford Lightning 742hp/722tq! - YouTube

Here's 65fastback22's truck after his recent build. Lets see a Terminator make this kind of torque with a M112 and no other poweradder.
Ford Lightning Dyno - GT500 2v Power! 475 rwhp / 570 rwtq - YouTube

I think the low end torque is more a function of the stroke than anything else. Power is always made at RPMs ([torque X rpm]/5252), but it's also hugely affected by cams and timing. So it would be really easy to retune it to be a torque monster. Besides, most of that 600 ft-lbs should be made lower in the rev range (I wish we had a dyno graph, to see the REAL torque being made--the area under the curve).

war_machine92

Banned
how much work would it take to drop that sucker into a fox? ive been thinkin about it :) that monster with some simple bolt-ons and a good tune,,,, WOW! easy power.

Jroc

Established Member
I think the low end torque is more a function of the stroke than anything else. Power is always made at RPMs ([torque X rpm]/5252), but it's also hugely affected by cams and timing. So it would be really easy to retune it to be a torque monster. Besides, most of that 600 ft-lbs should be made lower in the rev range (I wish we had a dyno graph, to see the REAL torque being made--the area under the curve).

I half agree with this. Yes the stroke is part of the reason for the L's(and 5.4's in general) impressive lowend torque, but not the only thing. Typically a motor that breathes good up top in fairly weak down low, and vica versa. Look at a N/A 2v compared to a N/A 4v. In general the 2v feels noticeably stronger down low than the 4v, but it can't compete with it's breath or topend pull. Other good examples are Windsors vs Clevelands, or 428's vs 427's, or from my understanding Pontiac BB's like 455's vs Chevy BB's like a 454. I can pretty much guarantee that if the L came with a 4v 5.4 it would make much better all around numbers, but it would sacrifice low to midrange torque production.

With that said a GT500 feels much stronger everywhere in it powerband than either my L or Terminator, but of course it's a lot more powerful than a stock L, but compared to my terminator I think much of it has to do with it's electronics, and electronic TB. These electric TB cars are so responsive that they are hard to drive at first coming from a car with a cable connected to the TB. You have to get use to driving them especially a manual car.

Users who are viewing this thread