5 or 6 spd manual in a 2010+ Taurus?

Planter

Banned
I didn't see a non-sho forum, but it's Taurus related so I'll post here. If it's the wrong area, please move to the proper forum.

I notice all the Taurus come with an automatic transmission. Is there a possible conversion to a 5 spd or 6 spd manual? (True manual, like shifter and clutch)...not that paddle shift or +/- selector stuff on the auto shifter.

I'm interested in buying one of the newer Taurus' next year, but I want to be able to put a manual transmission in. Automatics just are NOT fun to me.

I don't know much about the ecoboost motors, or what transmissions would mate up to it, if any.

If I end up buying one, I would also like to swap in forged pistons and crank (and rods?), and put a turbo on to up the horsepower. A 500-600 hp Taurus sounds like a lot of fun. If that's possible anyways.

But if it's not possible to put in an manual transmission, i will probably buy something else.

also, can the AWD platform handle higher horsepower? (+400 range?)

I love what the Taurus has to offer as far as styling, interior, sound/climate controls, ride comfort and it'd be a blast to have one that not only looks good but can scoot and boogie and turn a few heads.

I'm wondering what other potential this car has?

Again, I don't know much about them, and didn't have much lucking finding any answers to my questions when I was browsing this sub-forum, so forgive me if I'm a little ignorant on the Taurus.

:beer:

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer:Go to shoforum.com.There are a no. 2010/2013 shos running in the mid to low 12s. A no. of tuners with tunes from stage one thru stage 4 and upgraded turbos, exhaust upgrades .

Planter

Banned
its FWD based system to the manual would need to be that type. not really sure if anyone even has one outside of luxury model stuff? id wait until the taurus refresh, the platform is aging greatly.

im thinking that I would have to stay with a fwd.

I could get the SHO with the awd if i can find an amanual transmission that will interchange and get a custom fabbed bellhousing. but thats going to take some research. possibly a custom fabbed k-member as well in order to swap the position of the engine perpendicular to its current position to allow a transmission to hook up properly and function.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
they are all 6F55 trannys. FWD versions of the 6R80 in the mustang/F150.

checkout ecoboostperformanceforum.com for SHO info. but to answer some of your quick questions.

yes its a haldex(early audi/vw 4motion/quattro) AWD system. FWD until it sense slippage.

go for a SHO, they are worth the small premium over the limited/SEL. tune only and they are 0-60 near 4 flat, and high 12s. very fun because NOBODY expects a car this big to move out like it does.

Planter

Banned
they are all 6F55 trannys. FWD versions of the 6R80 in the mustang/F150.

checkout ecoboostperformanceforum.com for SHO info. but to answer some of your quick questions.

yes its a haldex(early audi/vw 4motion/quattro) AWD system. FWD until it sense slippage.

go for a SHO, they are worth the small premium over the limited/SEL. tune only and they are 0-60 near 4 flat, and high 12s. very fun because NOBODY expects a car this big to move out like it does.

but I don't think i can get a manual transmission into an AWD version. unless I can find a transmission from an awd car of another make/model that mates to the engine the same way as the auto that's in there, and have a custom bellhousing fabbed for it...that's the only way I can see a manual transmission going in an awd.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Why not a G8 GXP with manual transmission Planter? Did you also look at the Charger? Both R/T and SRT8?

I drove a SHO a couple of years ago and I wasn't impressed with the car. The SHO had less interior space then the 2013+ Ford Fusion. I found the center console taking up too much room and eating into the leg space. The brakes and handling were mediocre at best. The brakes had a ton of fade. The visiblity isn't what you would expect in such a big car.

The Taurus' chasis is late 90s Volvo technology. Honestly, there are better cars on the market. Are you really sure you want one?

Planter

Banned
Why not a G8 GXP with manual transmission Planter? Did you also look at the Charger? Both R/T and SRT8?

I drove a SHO a couple of years ago and I wasn't impressed with the car. The SHO had less interior space then the 2013+ Ford Fusion. I found the center console taking up too much room and eating into the leg space. The brakes and handling were mediocre at best. The brakes had a ton of fade. The visiblity isn't what you would expect in such a big car.

The Taurus' chasis is late 90s Volvo technology. Honestly, there are better cars on the market. Are you really sure you want one?

not a pontiac or dodge fan. neither does anything for me.

i love this car after driving it. perfect for me, with exception to the transmission.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
getting some suggestions about the mazda speed3 6 speed transmission for a FWD option.

any thoughts on this?

I don't think the Speed3 transmission will even bolt up to the 3.5 Ecoboost. If it did, I would be worried about the power and weight destroying the transmission.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

I just picked up an sho and love it so far this could not be further from the truth.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
The SHO had less interior space then the 2013+ Ford Fusion.

When I first sat in the new Taurus I had a flashback to the first time I was a Hummer H1.

hummer-h1-2.jpg

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

I just picked up an sho and love it so far this could not be further from the truth.

To be fair, I heard the 2010-2012 cars had weaker feeling brakes, and people complained about them, so it was revised on the 2013+. I test drove a 2013 non PP and thought the brakes were great. They had a sharp initial bite and good feel to them.

As far as a manual swap goes, I have never heard of anyone manual swapping anything 3.5 ecoboost. I couldn't even think of where to begin on that, and anything custom will cost MONEY. IMO you're better off shopping for something else.

Planter

Banned
so wheres all the great, mighty knowledgeable svtpers that can/could make this happen?

float some ideas my way. suggestions.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
so wheres all the great, mighty knowledgeable svtpers that can/could make this happen?

float some ideas my way. suggestions.

Get something else. Too much time and money invested.

With the purchase of a SHO + what it would cost to run a manual in it and upgrade the turbos etc..... you'd be better off finding a CTSV Coupe

Users who are viewing this thread