500hp possible on stock cams?

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Hey guys,

Just out of shear curiosity, does anybody think it's possible to make 500 N/A hp out of boss motor with factory cams? And if so what would it take? I know dyno numbers are just numbers but just wondering if it's possible.

ford20

Established Member
If you consider Nitrous being N/A sure, but no not really. You need cams for that like Darren said

ford20

Established Member
So pretty much only for hero runs and short blasts at the strip. What was the correction factor used on the dyno run, I don't see it listed anywhere?

At $525 to fill your tank I wouldn't even consider it a viable option but one of those things you use on those special occasions like when you go to the strip

Shaun@AED

484 on Pump E85 is no slouch either, but it's not *500*.

Correction factor on my dyno is normally 4-5%, and you need to consider we are not at sea level so a correction of 1.02 is about the best we see in January under high pressure conditions. Definately not mile high 25% crazy correction. I've verified my dyno's number output with a buddies DynoJet at sea level and they are within 1/2% of each other. I do not have that graph in front of me, but there were no dyno 'tricks' to reach this number. The ET/MPH will confirm that.

Yes, FTW is $40/gallon shipped and IMO best used for setting records. Point is, stock cams/stock long block *can* make 500RWHP SAE on a dyno. It's simply a matter of how much you want to spend to get it there.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Is be happy with 480 to tires, but I'm doing all my motor work at once and am still iffy on cams and wither or not they're worth it. I just said when I started I'd like to make 500+ n/a.

Tyler72

Established Member
For what it's worth, my car made 414 rwhp on a mustang dyno, and 471 on a dyno jet. I've got an airaid carbon fiber intake, 1 7/8" kooks headers, CATTED kooks x pipe, and also their 3" cat back. Shaun tuned it for me. 93 octane pump gas. Since then I've also added a carbon fiber drive shaft so that may have helped numbers slightly too. I just can see the justification of spending all that money on fuel for a measly 30 hp. Not that 30 isn't a lot... It is. But if I'm gonna drop that kind of money, I want it to be there all the time. Not just for dyno numbers or track night. I think that with stage 3 cams or some custom grinds and a cobra jet intake setup I'd be in the 530 rwhp dyno jet range. That's a big investment but it'll always be in tap if I needed it

Users who are viewing this thread