6-Speed to Auto

Speeders

Established Member
Okay guys, I'm thinking about going auto. But before I get started with it I want to ask some questions. I'm making right at 750 with 670tq and the 6 speed at the track just isn't fun. So which auto trans should I go with? The 4r70w or the th400? What all would I have to change? It's going to be a manual valve body so I shouldn't have to mess with computer, right? Driveshaft stay the same? Need answers and opinions on this from the people that have done a auto swap in their cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Eatonualive281

Established Member
You will need to get the auto in and measure for a custom DS. Every car is different.

In terms of WHICH auto, Id personally go with a th400. Cheaper to build, stronger, more reliable. The only downside being no overdrive. So youd have to adjust your gears and tire size for what you want.

Blackedout

Established Member
I went with Freddy Brown 4STBE (4R70)... manual VB.. hurst shifter... intercooler/lines... triple disc locking converter.... I still have the IRS... if I remember right a DS from an auto fox body was the right length... also FB has a relay set up for disengaging LU and OD.. ZERO regrets here !!!

Speeders

Established Member
Really don't care about OD. just want a trans that will handle what I throw at it and do the job. How much does a auto swap like this cost?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Soap

Established Member
Other things you are forgetting....trans cooler and lines, SFI flexplate, SFI bellhousing (not a necessity but you should) and shifter. Also, unless you get an auto shifter from a 99-04 GT/Mach, you'll have to make a custom mount for the shifter because no one makes a bracket for any aftermarket shifter. As mentioned, plan on getting a custom driveshaft. Other things if you plan to race....transbrake and two step.

Computer/tune is untouched if using a manual valvebody except for the speedo correction.

--Joe

Speeders

Established Member
Other things you are forgetting....trans cooler and lines, SFI flexplate, SFI bellhousing (not a necessity but you should) and shifter. Also, unless you get an auto shifter from a 99-04 GT/Mach, you'll have to make a custom mount for the shifter because no one makes a bracket for any aftermarket shifter. As mentioned, plan on getting a custom driveshaft. Other things if you plan to race....transbrake and two step.

Computer/tune is untouched if using a manual valvebody except for the speedo correction.

--Joe

I didn't figure I would have to mess with computer if it was a manual valve body. But thanks for advice

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

stangfreak

Established Member
I'm putting together parts for a 6r swap. It's pricey lol. I think the 6r will give better acceleration than the 4r.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm putting together parts for a 6r swap. It's pricey lol. I think the 6r will give better acceleration than the 4r.

PLEASE take detailed notes and pics along the way, I've been waiting for someone to do this haha. Good luck!

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I'm about to swap mine out, I went with a 4r70w from FB, bought it off a guy that was going to a glide.

Freddy Brown trans rated at 1200hp with brake
UCC converter
Drive shaft
Trans cooler
Trans cooler lines
trans temp gauge
flex plate
Shifter
shifter cable

I bought it all used, and sent it to FB to have it gone through, I also sent the converter to Lenny a UCC to have it gone through. I have about $4k in this setup. The guy I bought it from said he had $6k in it.

I'm also swapping to SRA, so I have a lot of parts laying around I could of left something out.

Users who are viewing this thread