6R80 engagment issues

TType85

Established Member
I have a 2013 Mustang GT A6 with 44K miles on it. Mods are Steeda CAI & Tune and flowmaster axle back. The car runs great, shifts fine. The problem I am having is when the car is cold it has a huge delay going in to R and D. It can take 5 seconds plus from pulling it out of park and it engaging. When the car is warmed up, no issues.

Any ideas? I am ordering up a deep pan (want the drain plug) and dipstick tube and will be servicing it soon.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Not at all. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 20 min and letting the computer reset? Sounds weird to me. I'm no mechanic and everything is computerized but to me when you shift in gear you shift in gear. Why would it take time to engage. I can feel my car going into gear immediately

EDIT I will say man if it's below say 15 deg my shifter does feel more spongy. It doesn't get that cold here often but lots of weird stuff can happen when it's that cold.

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
It's a known issue with some 6R80s. I don't know what the cause or fix is, there was a TSB#11-11-11 for 2011 Mustangs that addressed harsh or delayed engagement. I know of a few F-150s, both 5.0 and 5.4, that had 6r80 engagement issues.

Users who are viewing this thread