6r80 in a 03 cobra?

ScreamMachine03

Established Member
I've called them all for pricing on 4R70W, TH400, 4L80E, but before forking out thousands for non overdrive units and ticking time bomb transmissions I thought I'd try.

LAST DITCH EFFORT!!!

If I can get any help with finding a transmission controller for a 6R80 to work in a 03 cobra I will put this in my car, I don't know or have all the resources that all the members on this board my have or information on this swap.

I've read multiple times that the transmission will bolt in but not work because of the electronics

Any help with finding a controller to work with setup would be appreciated.

I posted a thread a year back asking this question and seeing if anyone has accomplished the project

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I just sent a text to my coworker about this for you. He's avidly trying to put a 6r80 in his mod swapped fox and has been trying to find a way since 2011. If it'll be possible anytime soon he'll be the one to know so I'll let you know what I find out.

west08

Established Member
Would it be possible to use a GM 6L80E? I assume that it may be similar to a 4L80E to run electronics wise, just the physical size may be an issue. It would probably have to be built to handle power knowing GM's past reputation on transmissions.

And the 4L80E and 4R70W are overdrive transmissions. Only the TH400 is a non-overdrive unit of the ones you listed.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Just heard back from my buddy, as of now there's no way to do it, but performance automatic is working on something. Altho there's no real date for when it'll be available. The reason it's so hard and there's nothing out yet is because (dont quote me on this as it's just things I've heard and am trying to remember correctly) it's controlled off the canbus. So it's much harder to make a controller for it, and I dont believe you can use a 5 liter computer without having it in a 5.0 car that actually uses the whole functions of the pcm. There is a 6l80 controller but that trans isn't quite as good as a 6r. the 6l is good to about 700whp assuming a good tune.

Last edited:

lucheski

Established Member
Just heard back from my buddy, as of now there's no way to do it, but performance automatic is working on something. Altho there's no real date for when it'll be available. The reason it's so hard and there's nothing out yet is because (dont quote me on this as it's just things I've heard and am trying to remember correctly) it's controlled off the canbus. So it's much harder to make a controller for it, and I dont believe you can use a 5 liter computer without having it in a 5.0 car that actually uses the whole functions of the pcm. There is a 6l80 controller but that trans isn't quite as good as a 6r. the 6l is good to about 700whp assuming a good tune.

what is a canbus??

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Found this info. "The CAN (controller area network) bus has made it challenging to add certain after-market products to a vehicle. In older cars, there were discrete wires for everything, but CAN bus signals are digital frames that have to be analyzed to determine their purpose." Easier to understand now the difficulty in developing the aftermarket controller for the 6R80. Hopefully Performance Automatic will soon complete their controller project and help you fulfill your own goal.

Joyrider564

Established Member
I have thought about doing this as well. I love the way the transmission drives, and that it can handle some power. If they can even incorporate a transbrake into it as well, I will probably go 6R80 hunting in the junkyards.

Joyrider564

Established Member
arent coyote cars going 9s with a stock tranny and a converter??

Yup. I would do the clutches, intermediate shaft and converter, but it would make for a very easy to drive fast car.

I emailed PA transmissions to get an update on their controller. If I hear anything, I will pass it on!

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
In for updates as well, hopefully there's a solution before my stock T56 craps out haha.

Users who are viewing this thread