6R80 Late Design Updates

Circle-D

Established Member
Mid year 2014 Ford changed the pump gear in the 6R80 transmission from a tang design to flats. In doing so the converter impeller hub was changed. We have an updated converter hub we are producing that will interchange with all year models, regardless of the pump gear design. We are now using this new hub on all 6R80 converters we build starting on Jan 1st, remove any confusion on what 6R80 you might have in your car. Here are a few pics showing the changes Ford made and our new design. The New 2015 6R80 converter uses this same hub design combined with a diameter change, but our latest converter is ready to move you guys.

Chris

6R80PumpGears_zps1291a4f7.jpg

6R80HubandGearFlats_zps37aff301.jpg

Circle-D

Established Member
Very good question. To my knowledge, there has not been any pump gear failures. So not really sure why. Ford has traditionally uses the flat design, like on the C4, C6, AOD, 4R70, 4R100....Maybe just a change in suppliers?

Chris

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
Chris is there any way of knowing what 6r80 trans is in a particular 2014? i swapped my 2c from my 2013 into my mid 2014 and it seems to be fine...if the trans were the late version am i to assume it wouldnt have worked?

Circle-D

Established Member
If it fits you should be good to go. But you can look an the OE converter that came out. If it has the open slots in the converter hub then it is the earlier style. Flats on the hub make it the late model version.

Chris

Razzys Wagon

Established Member
old thread i know, Chris do you know of anyone doing a pushrod bell housing for these trans in the older cars?

Thanks,
Mark

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
Chris what do we have to do to retro-fit a 2011-14 converter into a 2015? I need one in my life

Circle-D

Established Member
old thread i know, Chris do you know of anyone doing a pushrod bell housing for these trans in the older cars?

Thanks,
Mark

Not that I have heard of.. I think the hard part would be a stand alone controller. Have heard of some GM 6L80 options, but nothing yet on a 6R80.

Chris

Circle-D

Established Member
Chris what do we have to do to retro-fit a 2011-14 converter into a 2015? I need one in my life

We need to replace the hub with our newer style. If we built the converter recently, starting first of this year, it will have our one size fits all design.

Chris

BAD GT

Established Member
I'm the one that called you a couple of days ago with the confused transmission shop that was installing my converter, lol

converter is in and works great!

We need to replace the hub with our newer style. If we built the converter recently, starting first of this year, it will have our one size fits all design.

Chris

Circle-D

Established Member
I'm the one that called you a couple of days ago with the confused transmission shop that was installing my converter, lol

converter is in and works great!

At first glance, it does look like the wrong one. Glad you like it!!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread