6R80 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangfreak

Established Member
Has anyone done this on a 03 cobra? I know one member is doing it to his turbo car but he still has to get the parts. wanted to see if anyone actually has one already in there cobra.

Arrickh

Established Member
Has anyone done this on a 03 cobra? I know one member is doing it to his turbo car but he still has to get the parts. wanted to see if anyone actually has one already in there cobra.
My friend has had one in his 2v for years. He's a tuner though. I know at one point he was talking about doing swaps for people. I don't know if he still wants to do that but he owns Shrader Performance in NC.

stangfreak

Established Member
shrader has manuals on how to do the swap. They built that yellow 2v car.

stangfreak

Established Member
That was going to be my plan but I'm not doing twins now. Baumann has released their 6R80 controller finally.

http://www.usshift.com/usq6.shtml

yes they have the stand alone which makes things very easy. stiffler has the cross member to install the 6R. looks sick. I just want to know about exhaust clearance and stuff. will I need custom headers, etc

LordVader04

Established Member
I was talking to Malcolm about this swap today actually. I called USShift about their "Quick 6" stand alone controller, and it is a really nice unit (a little pricey) but nice. The only problem that I see right now is that the Quick 6 does not have a plug and play provision for trans brake
operation.

I talked to the tech guy st USShift and he said that they are working on it, but no release date was given so not sure on when a trans brake feature might be available.

I did however notice that JMS makes a digital splice in trans brake activation box for the stock coyote harness. I asked the tech at USShift if the JMS box might be able to work in conjunction with the Quick 6 controller and allow the activation of a trans brake. The tech from USShift was not sure at that time, if they would work together or not.

Making a long story even longer lol I called the techs st JMS and told them what I was thinking about doing with the Quick 6 controller and the JMS tech told me to send them the wiring diagram for the Quick 6, and they would see if the JMS trans brake box may work with it. So that is where I am at with it right now, hopefully JMS will look at the Quick 6 wiring and give me some good news.

LETHAL03COBRA

Established Member
I've been following the updates on the quick 6 and it has my interest in making the swap. Terminator + 6R80 = bad ass!! Now that it's out, I expect several Cobra owners will be starting the swaps as soon as they can find a transmission.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Starting this swap now actually. No bellhousing needed as long as you get one from a GT or 5.0 F150

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
wow that wud make me consider a Cobra if I cud run a 6r80. going Auto in my 13 GT was the best decision I've made considering I went Turbo.

1000x better then a stick shift! and I had a T56 Magnum before in a 12 GT with a TVS and an aluminator making almost 700 whp so I speak from experience

stangfreak

Established Member
Man I gotta talk to Steve. He practically built my whole cobra. Let me know how the swap goes. I need to start ordering parts. Are you getting a built 6 speed or a stocker from ford? I know power by the hour has built ones.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
I haven’t really talked with him in detail about it yet as I am still ordering parts and piecing stuff together. I still need a controller, driveshaft and converter.
I am using a stock F150 trans though because they have one extra clutch over the GT ones but I am upgrading the converter because from what I’ve read thats what seems to good

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

stangfreak

Established Member
Sweet. Mike sorry to ask so many questions. So basically we need the stand alone computer, tranny, drive shaft, converter, and transmission mounting kit that stiffler sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread