6R80 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
I do highly suggest downloading the install instructions and giving it a read if you’re interested in the swap. It goes over most everything. You can also download their program for tuning the transmission to see if it has everything you want/need for your situation

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Michael Plackis

Established Member
For the flexplate I found a coyote SFI one should be good. Trans cooler can come from a newer mustang or aftermarket and PBH sells a kit to use AN fittings from the trans to the cooler.
And I got the driveshaft with measurements from someone who has a 6R80 in a new edge behind a 2v. I should have the trans in by end of May and I’ll have a lot more of the smaller details worked out by then. There’s a few things I haven’t figured out yet. I only need the controller and crossmember before I have it in the car. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link another forum on here but there’s another very informative one. If I’m allowed to link it I will but if not just PM me and I’ll send you a link to it. They put it in a 3v but it still has a lot of info about tuning it

maxrider

Established Member
Sorry for the double post my internet down here is bad I’m at work in Nigeria. Thanks for all your help I’m very interested in doing this to my cobra

maxrider

Established Member
What shifter would you use for this a stock shifter from a 99-04 GT? Sorry not very up on this swap

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
add the link
For the flexplate I found a coyote SFI one should be good. Trans cooler can come from a newer mustang or aftermarket and PBH sells a kit to use AN fittings from the trans to the cooler.
And I got the driveshaft with measurements from someone who has a 6R80 in a new edge behind a 2v. I should have the trans in by end of May and I’ll have a lot more of the smaller details worked out by then. There’s a few things I haven’t figured out yet. I only need the controller and crossmember before I have it in the car. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link another forum on here but there’s another very informative one. If I’m allowed to link it I will but if not just PM me and I’ll send you a link to it. They put it in a 3v but it still has a lot of info about tuning it

im inerested in learning more about this. please post up the link.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Well, I was starting to order the parts for the swap but not sure now. I've had this car going on 15 years. I feel like I passed my course with the cobra. Been pricing out used c7 stingrays. Yellow 8 speed auto.
Terminator owners very often come back to one after selling. You know all the ins and outs of your particular Cobra. I would keep it. ESPECIALLY if it's paid off. Auto swap!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
So, this may be a stupid question but I'm not well-versed in the newer transmissions... So is there a manual valve body for the 6R80? I LOVED driving my 4R75W swapped 03 Cobra I had with a mvb and Hurst shifter. I assume the shifter would have to be a bit more complicated because of the extra gears but I don't see why it couldn't be made.

Also, do some people still track (autocross/road course) their cars once swapped to autos? Wouldn't think it would be much different as manual, just no clutch unless it wears hard on the internals of an auto. But you can always upgrade the cooling on it to keep temps down.

Sent from my Pixel using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Michael Plackis

Established Member
There is no manual valve bodies for the 6R80 because it has an electric solenoid activated valve body. You can do paddle
Shifters or buttons on the shifter like the 13-14 mustangs have or any other array of options you feel like but I think having all 6 gears controlled on the shifter wouldn’t be possible. You’d need at least a 9 detente shifter and to the best of my knowledge those don’t exist.
And for the second question, you can autocross an auto. That’s part of why I’m excited to get the 6R80 in my car with the paddle shifters. I think it will be very easy to control gears and do so much quicker than having to move the shifter and still be able to keep both hands on the wheel

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Just to elaborate a little more for you Max97COBRAtkd. You will have a drive mode where it shifts automatically and you will also have a manual/sport mode where you can control the shifting. When in manual/sport mode it won’t shift for you. It is solely up to you to send it a signal from a button or paddle shifter for it to upshift or downshift. They do have a provision for first gear so you can set it to automatically shift at say 6700 rpms or whatever you set it to, just Incase you forget you’re in manual mode as a safety precaution but it can also be turned off

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Got it. I would be hesitant to get rid of the air bags just for paddle shifters... Wish they could mount up to the stock wheel somehow or if you could modify one of the newer steering wheels/air bag to work with our column...

At any rate, this seems very promising. I will definitely follow this thread.

Sent from my Pixel using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Michael Plackis

Established Member
There is a possibility to do paddles with the stock wheel. A lot of 13-14 guys did this. I actually have a module to do it along with the paddles. There are plenty of write ups on it that I’ve seen before. They use paddles from an AMG because surprisingly they’re pretty cheap and then there’s someone who sells a wiring kit. When I get home tonight I’ll try and find some more info on that as well. You would have to make some modifications to your stock wheel but you will be able to retain your airbag

stangfreak

Established Member
Been talking to darrin over at BCA transmission. He basically has everything you need for the swap.

Mike and I also go back and fourth about this project and I learned a lot.

Like stated, you can use a 99-04 shifter. You just need the linkage kit that bca sells. as for shifting it manually, if I were to do it, I would add buttons. up shift and down shift. AS of right now, I cannot find a shifter that has the option to shift it manually that will fit in our cars. TCI has a shifter they sell with two buttons so you can shift manually but its for there 4L based 6 speed transmission. wont work with the 6R

stangfreak

Established Member
Not sure how practical this is but, I was thinking of using two of the buttons on the steering wheel. I dont really use cruise control in my cobra. so I have no use for them.

I know my tuner in his old twin turbo car, he used one of those buttons for boost scrabble. You are racing at 12lbs, hit the button and it jumps up to 17 or whatever you set it at. Just a thought

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Good call Alex. I was thinking something along those lines. Gimme 30 and I’ll link the amg paddle install as that could be another viable option with the stock wheel. You just have to do minor cutting on the back of the wheel but nothing visible

MG0h3

Established Member
Pretty sure someone on here posted that he used the buttons on the steering wheel to shift. Might have been in a fox or something. Called it selectashift or something in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread