7.3 Diesel BROS

nxhappy

Established Member
hey guys, I am checking out a 7.3 F250, it's a 03. Higher mileage 200k+ but I am hearing these motors go 400-500k. I could not start it dead cold b/c we meet at the store, but it seemed to idle well, no smoke out the pipe. No blow by coming from the oil fill tube. Shifts good no slipping . Maintenance looks good, transmission fluids, rear diff, oil, coolant,etc. Could probably get it for $8k. What do you guys think?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sounds decently fair.

I've seen a lot of them with quite a bit more mileage than that.

Was there oil in the coolant at all?

96dreamer

Established Member
Only thing about the 01+ trucks is they have the powdered rods vs forged if you have any big mods planned in the future. Check the oil pan for rust, replacing them is a bitch. 8k isnt bad if its a solid truck, I sold my old 2000 ccsb for 15k a few years ago. Bought my current one with 134k for 12 but its a rust bucket compared to what i would have likes but I need a vehicle and got caught focusing on the mileage. My dads truck has around 350k and the motor has never been opened, they are super reliable fuel sucking tanks when taken care of.

nxhappy

Established Member
Sounds decently fair.

I've seen a lot of them with quite a bit more mileage than that.

Was there oil in the coolant at all?

I need to check the coolant tank and make sure there is no diesel in it or other fluid

nxhappy

Established Member
Only thing about the 01+ trucks is they have the powdered rods vs forged if you have any big mods planned in the future. Check the oil pan for rust, replacing them is a bitch. 8k isnt bad if its a solid truck, I sold my old 2000 ccsb for 15k a few years ago. Bought my current one with 134k for 12 but its a rust bucket compared to what i would have likes but I need a vehicle and got caught focusing on the mileage. My dads truck has around 350k and the motor has never been opened, they are super reliable fuel sucking tanks when taken care of.

yeah I read about the pans as well. I will a take a closer look at the underside.

sc98cbra

Established Member
I'm actually in the same position as you, OP. I'm currently looking for a 7.3, but I can't seem to find any with less than 150-175k miles on them. I'm interested in seeing opinions concerning the reliability of these trucks at this mileage -- I need to tow my 67 about 1,700 miles in January. I thought about renting a U-haul, but it's close to $2k in just fees alone, so I figured I would just buy a 7.3 or a Toyota Sequoia/Land Cruiser.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
For the 7.3 the biggest issue is the trans cooler (6.0 cooler upgrade is common), and CPS (cam sensor), always have a 10mm in the door on a long extension. If it's clean and maintained well, sounds like a decent buy. Grab a CTS monitor (isn't a tuner) to keep an eye on your trans temps. They don't like heat.

I'm in the minority, but my 7.3 was my least favorite, and loved both my 6.0 trucks, they didn't nickel and dime me to death like my 7.3 did. So far my 6.7 has become the new favorite.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
If the seller has maintenance records, I would say you're good. It means he cared. Check to to see if brake lines have been replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nxhappy

Established Member
For the 7.3 the biggest issue is the trans cooler (6.0 cooler upgrade is common), and CPS (cam sensor), always have a 10mm in the door on a long extension. If it's clean and maintained well, sounds like a decent buy. Grab a CTS monitor (isn't a tuner) to keep an eye on your trans temps. They don't like heat.

I'm in the minority, but my 7.3 was my least favorite, and loved both my 6.0 trucks, they didn't nickel and dime me to death like my 7.3 did. So far my 6.7 has become the new favorite.
on the trans cooler, do people upgrade them, or add another one? What would that cost? Right now I don't have anything heavy I will be pulling.

nxhappy

Established Member
If the seller has maintenance records, I would say you're good. It means he cared. Check to to see if brake lines have been replaced.

he had a little book, tons of records in it. Also checked carfax, had some records . I know the transmissions are the weak point. Unfortunately I don't know if it has been rebuilt. He said it has a shift kit. I went WOT it shifted without any slip.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
on the trans cooler, do people upgrade them, or add another one? What would that cost? Right now I don't have anything heavy I will be pulling.
Most just replace the 7.3 with the 6.0 cooler. Been awhile, but it wasn't very expensive. It's cheap insurance on a trans replacement. You can find used CTS monitors for around $150 too.

4a7191a

Established Member
Love my 7.3.
It's a 2wd with 4" turbo back ,cold air and tuner 22.3 mpgs averaged since last year sometime.
Transmission shifts like crap though, it's going out. Trucks got 126k miles on it.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I've owned a couple 7.3's, all good info here so far.

Is it 4wd? What cab and bed size? These make a huge difference in the prices. $8K would be a 200K mile regular cab 2wd around my area.

Last edited:

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I sold my 7.3 with 260k on it. As mentioned cps was an issue, but the updated one never failed. Glow plug controller, glow plugs and wires for hard cold starts was an issue,but an easy and fairly cheap fix. The injectors went bad around 240k, but I had been running the truck on veg. For about 100k by then. The trans started to slip before I sold it,but if the one you’re looking at has a shift kit that probably has been addressed. If it’s 4 wheel drive and the front unit bearings haven’t been changed in the last 80-100k miles expect to have to do that and they are expensive and can be a bitch to get out. For 8000. With a good body ,seems like an ok deal to me. I sold mine 7 years ago fo 9000. and the northeast rust was taking over in all the usual spots.

nxhappy

Established Member
I've owned a couple 7.3's, all good info here so far.

Is it 4wd? What cab and bed size? These make a huge difference in the prices. $8K would be a 200K mile regular cab 2wd around my area.

2wd extended cab, only thing extra is a large tool box

nxhappy

Established Member
I sold my 7.3 with 260k on it. As mentioned cps was an issue, but the updated one never failed. Glow plug controller, glow plugs and wires for hard cold starts was an issue,but an easy and fairly cheap fix. The injectors went bad around 240k, but I had been running the truck on veg. For about 100k by then. The trans started to slip before I sold it,but if the one you’re looking at has a shift kit that probably has been addressed. If it’s 4 wheel drive and the front unit bearings haven’t been changed in the last 80-100k miles expect to have to do that and they are expensive and can be a bitch to get out. For 8000. With a good body ,seems like an ok deal to me. I sold mine 7 years ago fo 9000. and the northeast rust was taking over in all the usual spots.

yea injectors would be my main worry. I know they cost $ 2000

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member

I just upgraded mine to the 6.0 trans cooler. It is made by Dorman. Bolt in deal.

The only thing to look for is bed rust and door rust. They are the most reliable truck on the road. I’m on my 2nd.

I included a picture of the Dorman unit next to the OEM 7.3 unit.
7cde04a0b29dfd5020d2686fa06d1233.jpg

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member

I just upgraded mine to the 6.0 trans cooler. It is made by Dorman. Bolt in deal.

The only thing to look for is bed rust and door rust. They are the most reliable truck on the road. I’m on my 2nd.

I included a picture of the Dorman unit next to the OEM 7.3 unit.
7cde04a0b29dfd5020d2686fa06d1233.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread