EditorTurner

Established Member
0-7-Second-Supercharged-Coyote-Featured.jpg

There’s the Beef
Terry “Beefcake” Reeves puts his supercharged Coyote into the 7-second zone
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Team Beefcake Racing

Last weekend at the NMRA All-Star Nationals in Commerce, Georgia, Terry “Beefcake” Reeves debuted his supercharged 2011 Mustang GT in Renegade competition. After a long transformation from a Coyote Modified racer into an even quicker Renegade machine, his ride really impressed by running deep into the 7-second zone, staking claim to the quickest e.t. run to date by a supercharged Coyote Mustang.

Originally, Terry had planned to return to the Coyote Modified ranks with his Team Beefcake Racing machine, but ultimately the desire to run quicker led him to revamp the combo to run in the NMRA’s Renegade class and beyond.

“Last pass in the car was Domestic versus Import in 2014. The goal was two months in the chassis shop and a month getting the new Holley EFI system together and going for a Coyote Modified championship. We missed the Race 1 deadline, then Race 2 deadline,” Terry said. “At that point, I decided I wanted to be able to go quicker and Coyote Modified trim wouldn’t allow that. With Renegade I could put the gear drive on, and be much more versatile in blower selection for other events outside NMRA and also just going for some ‘glory’ passes. We have always been at the forefront of the Coyote e.t. list, and class racing over the last two years has kept us from moving much further down the e.t. list.”

After missing the first race this season, Terry was determined to get out and race. Even though the car wasn’t quite finished and far from dialed in, he loaded up and headed for Georgia determined to compete in the second race of the 2016 season.

“The main offseason changes were a 25.3 certified chassis and custom air-to-water setup by Rogue Race Cars,” Terry explained. “We also added an ATF gear drive, a Strange 9-inch and a Holley EFI system installed by my crew chief, Brian Campbell of Finish Line Performance. We also did custom 2 to 2 1/8 to 2 1/4-inch stepped headers by Rogue.”

“We still hadn’t finished buttoning the car up for the NMRA Commerce, Georgia, race when we loaded it in the trailer, but we were pretty close,” Terry added. “We had no testing and four dyno pulls on the completely new combo when we loaded her up at 10 p.m. Wednesday night…”

Apparently there weren’t too many buttons left to fasten. By Sunday April 10, Terry was able to run a really impressive e.t. at the second stop on the 2016 NMRA tour. Check it out here…

[video=youtube;cSF13kHmc_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSF13kHmc_E[/video]

“It felt great. We had three goals: a sub-8-second e.t., 1-teen 60-foot times, and a sub-5-second eighth mile,” Terry said. “We were able to hit them all first time out, which I didn't expect. It also makes us the quickest supercharged Coyote out there and I believe the fifth quickest in any form.”

As you might expect, Terry is pretty happy with the new combo’s first outing, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to rest on his laurels.

“ATF is going to work the converter some. We are gonna work on the suspension and intake combo, and hopefully go 7.6s on the next outing,” Terry said. Then we will work on weight and hopefully, by Columbus, put some 7.5s on her. Then we’d like to swap out to some larger blowers and go after some glory runs in the low-7-second range!”

A low-7-second supercharged Coyote would definitely be something to howl about.

1-7-Second-Supercharged-Coyote.jpg

At the NMRA All Star Nationals in Commerce, Georgia, Terry “Beefcake” Reeves not only runner-upped in the Renegade class, but he ran 7-second e.t.’s in his 2011 Mustang GT. More impressive yet, it was the first outing with the car’s new Renegade combo.

2-7-Second-Supercharged-Coyote.jpg

Motivation for Terry’s 7-second performance is courtesy of a Coyote engine built by BES Racing Engines, boosted by a Vortech supercharger and run by a Holley EFI system.

3-7-Second-Supercharged-Coyote.jpg

Not too shabby for the first race out. Terry’s 2011 GT clicked off an impressive best e.t. of 7.71 at 178 mph at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia.

hitmix300

Established Member
this is awesome

congratulations terry now i know how all the money i send you for parts is being spent.....

TOTALLY WORTH IT

Users who are viewing this thread