'86 Mustang

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
2.3 can be made awful fast (SVO as example). Turbos rule. 5.0 swap is possible, wheelie can tell you how much of a pain-in-the-ass that is...

Watch the 7.5 rear-end, upgrade to 8.8 would probably be necessary if you were going to add much power. Lots of T-bird parts...

RickieFrat

Established Member
86 was the last year for the 6 cyl. I had one back in the day. I bought it with a blown engine and swaped everything on my 84 GT to the 86. It took me some time but was worth it. The 86's body was mint with a new paint job. It also had a Auto tranny which was swaped out for a 5 - speed. If you can find a Turbo Coupe that is a Automatic or a GT in need of striping I say go for it. There is alot of different paths to take.

If you want any info on what I did to mine let me know. I'd be more than happy to fill you in. Wish you luck !!!

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by RickieFrat
86 was the last year for the 6 cyl. I had one back in the day. I bought it with a blown engine and swaped everything on my 84 GT to the 86. It took me some time but was worth it. The 86's body was mint with a new paint job. It also had a Auto tranny which was swaped out for a 5 - speed. If you can find a Turbo Coupe that is a Automatic or a GT in need of striping I say go for it. There is alot of different paths to take.

If you want any info on what I did to mine let me know. I'd be more than happy to fill you in. Wish you luck !!!
I was going to toss a 5.0 in eventually, body is in really good shape, how hard was the 5 spd to put in??? Any idea on cost??

RickieFrat

Established Member
You can get most parts at a bone yard. There really isn't that much. You need pedals. This can come from 79-93 Stang with a 4 or 5-speed. I don't remember, but you might have to drop the steering colume to install.

Next is the mounting bracket to hold up the tranny. Get the double hump from Ford Motorsports. Its under $100. And needs to be spot welded once in place.

Get the adj. clutch cable from Summit. Cost ~ $89.95.

A must is exhaust hangers from Ford, years 87-93. From the tranny back. The one for under the tranny holds the H-pipe up. The others allow you to run duel exhaust.

Depending on the engine your gonna need a 5-speed flywheel. The auto and 5-speed flywheel differs. OEM price under $100

For a clutch i'd go with Ford's King Cobra 10.5 . You can beat this thing all day at the track and still catch second on the way home. Price $199.95

You can get alot of good parts at you local junk yard. Mustangs from 79 - 93 are all interchangeable. Hope this helps. Check out www.summitracing.com for all parts. You can always get teck tips from www.musclemustangfastfords.com.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
Im looking at getting an '86 mustang only has 60k miles 4 banger, anything worthwhile to do with this car????

-zach

Yeah you can do what MM&FF are doing, you can rip it all out and drop a 2001 L engine in it. :uh oh: :eek: :dw:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
pics.....

29049304WvFBRjfSfB_ph.jpg

29049342bKEqJfXUNJ_ph.jpg

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Plus... '86 was the first year of the 8.8... at least for the GT's... don't know if they put 'em in the 6-pots ???

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
In stock form... yeah they kinda bite. They can be built up pretty nicely though... do a search on here, as I replied to an AOD question a couple months ago in GREAT detail!

Users who are viewing this thread