89 5.0 vs. 3.5se maxima

bmfgsxr

Established Member
had some fun with my cousin in his 04 maxima 3.5se with 6spd tranny. these cars stock are usually good for mid 14's, although some people have run very low 14's with the driver mod.. he has a modified stock intake which helps just a little, but nothing to really speak of.. he also has a lot of practice launching his car since he is constantly running stop light to stop light with people, and even beats up on my other cousin with an 06 sti with bolt ons from stop light to stop light (he really needs the driver mod because he should murder the maxima)..

anyway, we were lined up at the stop light and i have never practiced launching this car yet since ive only had it about a month. light went green and i spun and then got back on it and caught some traction, nailed the gears really good and was able to keep 2 car gap he got on me at take off steady until the top of 3rd gear. then he started creeping away at a steady pace through 4th and 5th.. not pulling by much, but just slowly.

not a real exciting race along the lines of a z06vs whipple cobra or anything but it was fun nonetheless.. although i still managed to beat him home through traffic so that has to count for something. ;) i wish i had my lightning though so i could have crushed him. :coolman:

the mustang is my dd and i wasnt going to mod it at all, but now i may have to do a few things just so i can beat him. ;)

blu88notch

Established Member
They are quick family haulers for sure.
A set of stickys in the back may have been all you needed

Last edited:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
my last car was an 03 altima 3.5 se with 5spd.. it had 245hp and 246tq, where as the maxima has 265hp, but its also heavier.. we would race and it would go back and forth when i had that. then i got the Lightning and its no contest, and now the daily driver is the stang.. learning to launch this thing would help (sticky rubber would be great) tremendously, but the roads were cold as hell too. but even still he started slowly pulling away from me towards the top of third.. the stang needs more hp to keep up, or beat that thing. its the same motor that is put in the 350z, just not tuned quite as high. not that the 350z is a rocket ship, but its a great v6 motor.. no contest compared to most of the vehicles that would be on this site, but good for what it is.

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
I used to have a 98 maxima 5spd with CAI, Exhaust, pulleys, six puck clutch.
And man I tell you that car was quick! I whould give stock'ish 5.0's a good run :-D At the time i had it know one was really in to rice, so i took a lot of people by surprise :rockon:

blu88notch

Established Member
Start with the little stuff.
Pull your silencer and add a K&N.
Bump your timing to 14*.
Add a underdrive pully set.
These are good for ~15 WHP.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
it has a k&n but its old. i cleaned it up pretty good, but it needs a new one.. and i forgot about bumping up timing, between that, pullies, electric fan that should free up some hp pretty good.

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
New SAE standards rate the Maxima @ 250 HP and the older Altima has 250HP as well, but if you get an 07 Altima, it now has 270HP

bmfgsxr

Established Member
1Fast92FiveOh said:
New SAE standards rate the Maxima @ 250 HP and the older Altima has 250HP as well, but if you get an 07 Altima, it now has 270HP

that generation maxima has 265hp, and my 03 altima had 245.. the altima (same 3.5 motor as the maxima, infinite g35, and 350z) had 240hp in 02, then up to 245 in 03, 250 in 04, 265 in the 3.5seR in 05 and now up to 270.. not sure what the 06 maxima is rated at since i havent paid too much attention since i sold my altima for the Lightning in march of 06.

either way, 270hp out of a v6 is damn impressive.. and the torque steer wasnt that bad (wasnt that great either) but it didnt really bother me too much when ripping away from a stop light. but being that they have made improvements its going to be that much better.

bunk22

Established Member
We used to have an 04 Maxima SL but we needed a big rig so it was replaced with our Tahoe. Loved that car and it had some go for a family car. My new daily driver is an 03 Altima SE 3.5l like mentioned above. It's an auto but still has some great pick-up.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
My friend and fellow board member (Talus) has a 03 VQ Max 6spd. I raced him (bone stock) in my bone stock 91 GT convertible (air silencer and all). From a stop I got him by 2 cars from a 40-120 I got him by a car. That same mustang raced a SER altima from a 40 roll and took him out by a car. I had 3 people in my car w/ the top down vs. his 4 people.

I sold that for a 91 Maxima and was on maxima.org... apparently people there think the VQ is god. They talk alot of shit about the point-ohs; however, stock for stock, mod for mod they are about the same. My car just happened to be a factory freak. Shouldn't of been though considering it was a salvage car. ;-)

Get some tires and seat time. Practice powershifting @ 5200 and your all set. The gears alone will make the time he spends catching up the whole race itself! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Big difference in the auto/manual Maximas though. I pulled on one that I suspect was an auto the other night from a light in the Vic.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Oh man I kinda miss modding my 5.0... I still have it but the Lightning is the new wallet magnet.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
when i had my altima i was able to beat guys in 5.0's, and even the sn95's from time to time, among other cars like wrx's, turbo saabs, etc.. no real monsters or anything, but quick cars. but most of my racing is on the highway since i have a very long commute. i dont do a lot of driving stop light to stop light so i rarely get the chance to line up with someone from a dig.. its usually messing around on the highway to or from work at highway speeds.

i can bang gears with the best of em' but i dont have any practice launching this car yet. gonna have to practice that.

Users who are viewing this thread