89 sho vs viper

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
you guys seem bored in this forum so here is a good old fashioned road kill story. My buddy and i were crusin the local drag in our town in his silver 89 sho. his car was completly stock except for a superchips chip, and the removal of mufflers and resonator. he also had the passenger seat out of the car to save weight. so im sittin in the back while hes drivin lookin for girlies or new opponents to race, when all of a sudden while we were at a light, a red viper pulls up next to us.(a r/t 10 i believe, and it looked older, like a mid 90's). my friend jokingly threw up a few revs and because of the lack of any sound deadening device, the guy in the viper (with the top down) looked over at us and gave us a "you stupid kids, dont you know a taurus is a grandma car" look. then to our suprise when the other light turned yellow we hear his revs climb like hes gettin ready to launch. my buddy wasnt about to waste this oppurtunity. when the light turned green we both took off with screeching tires and screaming exhausts. but somthing was wrong, very wrong. we were in front of the viper. as the revs climbed to 8500, we had to shift, even though that yamaha moter likes to spin, the ford accesories dont. so when we shifted at about 45mph we were still ahead but a viper goes to 62mph in first, so he kept pulling in 1st gear. needless to say we never caught up after he shifted into second, but the look in that guys face when he saw the "grandma" taurus kicking his snake ass, was priceless. i bet he shit his pants.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
hard to believe a SHO pulled on a Viper off the line. Unless the Viper sat there and spun his tires :beer: Anyways, it would have been priceless to see his face. I know the LT1 Camaro / Firebird guys don't like a "Taurus' hanging with them from a roll ;-)

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
traction

i agree that the viper should have killed us off the line but we were on a section of road that normally has cars idleing on it all day, so you can imagine how greasy the surface is. we both spun the tires and his wheelspin did not seem overly-excessive but it was probally the contributing factor to us pulling on him from the start

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
I know the LT1 Camaro / Firebird guys don't like a "Taurus' hanging with them from a roll ;-)
A whle back i kept up to a LT1 Camaro form a stop through first and second , he was spining. It was awsome tohugh

SHOout95

man, i have an 89 and those are the fastest SHO's stock ever. there's a spot near my house where i can do a little test drive, not long enough to be a 1/4 mile but enough for you know, a little speed burst. there's also a stop sign at the end so whatever speed you're going at, you gotta be able to brake. in my 89, i was able to got up to 81mph, in my 95, only 69mph before braking, both cars are MTX and i revved both to the limit. i wouldn't be surprise if an 89 got up to 45 in first gear.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
in a stock SHO, there is no point to go past 6800+/-

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
well besides him blowing up like 5 alternators, the high RPM's didnt seem to do any damage. and about the 8500 rpm's; i dont know what to tell you, because at times he would take it to 9000 and it kept pulling. i guess it was a custom program on the chip or somthing. dont even ask about when he would "miss" second gear and take the thing past 12,000. (only assuming... the tach only went to 11000). as far as not needing to go past 6800+/-, i would have to disagree, espically if you want the secondary runners to stay open, and when you keep revving the motor it just keeps making power, so all in all mabye my buddies car was a factory freak or somthing, but i swear that his car was stock except the exhaust and the chip

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
BS.

Its been proven with numerous relatively stock SHOs, that they fall off around 6500-6800. They DO NOT make more power above that stock.

As for the other stuff :rollseyes:
Originally posted by 96redvette
well besides him blowing up like 5 alternators, the high RPM's didnt seem to do any damage. and about the 8500 rpm's; i dont know what to tell you, because at times he would take it to 9000 and it kept pulling. i guess it was a custom program on the chip or somthing. dont even ask about when he would "miss" second gear and take the thing past 12,000. (only assuming... the tach only went to 11000). as far as not needing to go past 6800+/-, i would have to disagree, espically if you want the secondary runners to stay open, and when you keep revving the motor it just keeps making power, so all in all mabye my buddies car was a factory freak or somthing, but i swear that his car was stock except the exhaust and the chip

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Also, the stock SHO tach only goes to 8k...
yea that is true but he had an aftermarket tach. forgot what kind but it wasnt an autometer. he had it mounted in the car kinda ricey but he needed it to see how high the thing was revvin'

Users who are viewing this thread