'89ish Saleen - special attn. Tommylightning

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Tommy, can you tell me anything about the following:

White Fox body, white top, whale tail, LX-style all red taillights (not louvered like the GT), "Saleen" license plate frame, "real deal" according to the driver, almost as fast as a '98 Cobra ;).

On to the kill story:

Coming home from the grocery store I spy a white Mustang 'vert (described above) in the left turn lane heading "my way" home. I follow him through the light and, low-and-behold, the last light before my subdivision turns red. I pull up beside, roll down my window and honk. He rolls down his window and I say "Is it a real Saleen?" and he replies "Yes, it's the real deal". "Is it fast?", I ask. His reply..."Yeah". "Can it beat a stock '98 Cobra?" "We'll see", he says...

This particular intersection has a hump in the middle and a significant dip immediately thereafter, so when the light changed, I eased it out of the hole and nailed it after the dip. We both had significant wheelspin but I hooked first (I could still hear his tires - we were side by side) and started slowly walking on him. When he hooked up, I didn't gain on him until he shifted. When he took second, I added another half length putting his nose right on my back bumper. He got back that half when I took second (granny shifting), but as I wound out second, I started walking him again (I never heard him take third). When I took third (at 80 - one advantage of 3.27s) he was behind my bumper. At that point we were approaching a curve that precedes my subdivision, so I tapped the brakes three times and let off the gas, granny shifted to fourth and began slow braking back to the 40 MPH speed limit. He did the proverbial "ricer fly-by" and nearly lost it around the curve. I turned into my subdivision and he was gone.

I didn't ask what year it was. I didn't ask if it was modified. I would love to race that car on a flat road, for the entire quarter mile, without a car full of groceries.

Last edited:

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
ac89b.jpg

isaiahwhittaker89saleenconv.jpg

If it looked like this, it was more than likely 1 0f 165. Very fast after 1st gear and very cornerable. Very light and a ton of dowbforce on the rear of the car. Great for setting up a strip car.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Looked like the white one, but it had five spoke aluminum wheels, but not like the rims on the red one (more of an angular design with an octagonal center cap). After I posted, I went to e-bay and found one ('89) that looked almost identical (and had the same wheels)... What made it more difficult was this guy's graphics (tape) had all been removed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread