9” rear conversion advice

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just starting the research but want to get it ordered by end of week.

How many guys here have swapped to 9” rears?

I’m done with the 8.8 whining after any drag use, looking to swap and be done, so please don’t try and make a case for the 8.8, I’ve built this twice and not spending another cent on it.

I’ve used Strange in the past, I plan to use 12.88” rear Wildwood brakes that work with a specific 16” Bogart I want to run, so no need for brakes, just the bolt in housing for my 2014.

Car already had a Magnum XL swap with an aftermarket CF driveshaft, I assume I will need a new DS?
Any chance this DSS shaft can be used with an adapter?
I already run a BMR big bearing UCA and their LCAs, I believe they make the same UCA for 9”?

Any help appreciated.
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I researched this heavily myself. Strange was the OEM for the Cobra Jet 9". Should be bolt in if you get the S197 housing direct from Strange. Brake mounting location, control arm location, housing width etc are all S197 specific. Installation, assuming you buy a 100% complete unit, should be an hours worth of work. They even have big Ford housing ends that are ABS compatible, assuming you get the reluctor rings on the axles. Totally hassle free drop in units are available.

I called DSS and asked if they would be able to take my current Aluminum DSS and modify it for use with the 9". Told me it was just easier to get a new shaft. I would have had to purchase the 9" and install it then give them the pinion flange to output flange distance. Didnt get as far as CV rear joint or the classic U joint discussion. I do not remember seeing a CV specific pinion flange, though someone may be able to make it for you. Regardless, it sounded like DSS was capable of making any driveshaft needed to fit any application.

Biggest choice will be differential or spool. They do make a version of their S-Track for the 9" with 35 spline axles. Ford also makes a Trac-Loc for the 9" so you have some choices for the diff. A spool diff carrier for dedicated strip days and a street carrier for all other duty makes the 9" a nice solution.

From everything I could gather, Strange was the hands down the way to go for an S197 9".

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I don’t think a 9” Ford Trac-Loc unit can handle anywhere near the power you are putting down, J...unless they have a 35 spline unit that is 3-4 times as strong as a 31 spline Ford piece. I have a Detroit Eaton Tru Trac in my ‘66, but I’m only at 550 hp and 3000 pounds. :)

gt5008

Established Member
I don’t think a 9” Ford Trac-Loc unit can handle anywhere near the power you are putting down, J...unless they have a 35 spline unit that is 3-4 times as strong as a 31 spline Ford piece. I have a Detroit Eaton Tru Trac in my ‘66, but I’m only at 550 hp and 3000 pounds. :)

I’m done with the 8.8 whining after any drag use, looking to swap and be done, so please don’t try and make a case for the 8.8, I’ve built this twice and not spending another cent on it.

I’ve used Strange in the past, I plan to use 12.88” rear Wildwood brakes that work with a specific 16” Bogart I want to run, so no need for brakes, just the bolt in housing for my 2014.

Car already had a Magnum XL swap with an aftermarket CF driveshaft, I assume I will need a new DS?
I already run a BMR big bearing UCA and their LCAs, I believe they make the same UCA for 9”?

Any help appreciated.
-J
I have a a strange 9 in . With spool and 35 spline axles .

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The 9 inch DS is about 1- 1.5 inches longer. Im on the fence myself about going 9 in. I know I need to I'm just being lazy and cheap.

I would like to just do the Moser setup and be done with it with either 35 or 40 splines but its like $4k when its all done and thats without rear brakes.

Any help appreciated.
-J

RBB

Established Member
Interested to see how this works out for you. I'm debating the same thing, and Strange seems to be the way to go from all the research I've done. I am sick and tired of this 8.8 whining.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

Your right. I also forgot that its spline limited to 31 spline axles. Im assuming J is going at least 35 spline. So no go on the Trak-loc

Thabeast

Established Member
Tagging along, will be doing the strange 9” on mine this winter. I believe they will want you to send the wilwood mounting brackets to them

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys. I run 33 spline Moser axles and an Eaton Tru Trac now so I’m planning on 35 spline and a locker most likely on the 9”
Definitely not a spool,this car is street strip and once it runs the number, I’ll keep refining the street side of it.
I need to confirm the rear brakes with Wildwood and Bogart then I’ll call Strange and order a complete unit. Currie has me interested in their 2-day turn around but it’s hard to argue the Strange Cobra Jet history.
Off to research 9” diff options.
-J

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I have the strange 9” currently using poly upper ends and solid lower control arms. Plan on making the switch to solid uppers over the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I have the strange 9” currently using poly upper ends and solid lower control arms. Plan on making the switch to solid uppers over the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you dont mind me asking, what options do you have and what was the cost?

jenkins_1120

Established Member
If you dont mind me asking, what options do you have and what was the cost?

I just happened to find my quote from 2012. 3.89 gear, powder coated, dyno tech drive shaft , BMR UCA

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thats a really great price for a 9 inch, and thats with the 35 spline S trac!

How does the S Trac handle water box burnouts? Performance at the track?

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I haven't had an issue at all. 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 mile tracks. That was with a MH racemaster radial I'm making the switch to a slick this year and hoping for low 10s.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I have a Moser M9 w/ an aluminum carrier, Wavetrac, 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, and UPR suspension parts. It was all done by the previous owner of the car. He is a member of this board....might see this thread and chime in. Anyway...it is a really nice setup, he did an awesome job installing it, and I have had no issues with it.

Thabeast

Established Member
I haven't had an issue at all. 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 mile tracks. That was with a MH racemaster radial I'm making the switch to a slick this year and hoping for low 10s.

What power level are you putting down? I’ve been debating whether or not to get 5/8” wheel studs

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you plan to launch much at strip, the 5/8" studs are great but will make street wheel choice tricky.
-J

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
BiminiLX, how are the Hellcat rearends holding up? Do a lot of guys have problems with them, or did Dodge set it up stout from the factory?

Users who are viewing this thread