9,000 RPM Performance Chip, Seller Told Me Installed

Magik SHO

Under Some Rollin Thunder
Established Member
The seller of the SHO told me it has a performance chip that gets redline to 9,000 RPM. Now, I would never touch that range, but would like to know what chip this might be (brands etc) and what it would do for the car.

It does seem faster than my last one. He had a wicked amp in the back, but I crossed his old kicker box wires he took out, for about a second, and I think I fried it to death. It smelt bad. They spark no more. A fuse? I doubt it, but Ill check when its less rainyer.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
If it is 9000rpm he was smoking crack when he had it burnt.

No really, no one would ever burn a chip for a nearly stock SHO for 9000rpm. 8000rpm tops.

Magik SHO

Established Member
Thats why I wonder, because he was very honest, even in selling at the price he did.

I thought Id limp home from his house, and not one problem in 600 new miles.

Magik SHO

Established Member
Actually it was an older lady that boutght it from CarMax or whatever. I looked in the glove box, and found that an older lady owned it right before he did.

Hey what the heck, man. I only paid $650 for the whole thing intact, thought Id break down and have to be towed. The kid only owned it for about 6k-7k.

Back to my project on doing paint on areas of the Fairlane. Im all friggin dusty from sanding. I guess a wet sand would have been better, but 1000 grit works good dry for touch up too.

Magik SHO

Established Member
He said a mod chip on the computer that ads 50 horses and raises the rev limit.

Also a bigger throttle body, what, 80mm on this car to breathe? Is that the common one to upgrade to?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
It may have just removed the rev limiter....and any chip that adds 50 horse is bs.

Magik SHO

Established Member
I guess he bought it from www.shomods.com, its like some sort of modchip.

And the throttle body too. I can only look and guess, unless someone throws some info my way.

I revved it to 8k with good oil flow and cool temp, and it made it.

I have no idea, but the kid was street racing it at a big street race area around Chicago, and he got his license revoked because of racing illegally. Thats why he sold it, he cant drive. I even called him and asked about it again, and he seems genuine.

Im not a kid, Im 34, I just jumped with my $650 and got it, chip or not. I have a feeling hes not full of it though.

Lucky he owned it for only 7K, he would have tore it up, like the clutch he replaced.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Its not that it isn't feasible to rev the Yamaha to 9k, once you get the whole history of the SHO, you'll learn that the SHO motor was run at 8k+ for a significant period of time and no damage was done. However, in close to stock form, there is no reason to remotely rev the damn thing that high. Period. And no chip is going to add that much HP.....Especially on SHOs. The only ONE mod that is going to add that much is nitrous.

Magik SHO said:
The seller of the SHO told me it has a performance chip that gets redline to 9,000 RPM. Now, I would never touch that range, but would like to know what chip this might be (brands etc) and what it would do for the car.

It does seem faster than my last one. He had a wicked amp in the back, but I crossed his old kicker box wires he took out, for about a second, and I think I fried it to death. It smelt bad. They spark no more. A fuse? I doubt it, but Ill check when its less rainyer.

That chip is made by a company called: :bs: Chips for Suckas, Inc.

Magik SHO

Established Member
Yeah I clicked it right after I posted it, yeah its dead. He said he wasnt sure of the site, I dunno. who cares. Hes a stupid kid anyways.

I figured Id inquire about it at least, to see if there were performance chips on the market for 1st gen SHO's. Any links anyone, instead of the negativity?

I guess you guys dont know of one. I may or may not have one, who knows, thats why I asked. This is an information board, where people should share information. Thanks for all you know-it-alls who dont even own the specific car I speak of, just throwing balls of shit at me because I got a deal.

Is this EVEN a tech board, or some sort of device to ATTEMPT to belittle others? Judge for yourselves.

I didnt ask you people that dont own SHO's and know nothing about SHOs, this is a tech question, and if I rephrased it as "Looking For A Chip For My SHO" most of you people dont even seem to have the competency to figure the answer out.

Thanks, about the raced SHO, I will have great luck with this tight car, no tighter car I have EVER driven, that just had a new clutch, and the body is MINT! Wanna race? Ill dust you in asthetics AND pefrormance AND AND AND price coefficient. As well as a 60 MPH cloverleaf with super ease. I am lucky, and you paid way too much for your car in your foolish spending habits. So sorry I got it for $650....what, jealous? **** thats retarded. You probably have a good job to afford whatever you bought, or at least I hope so. If youre still paying for it, well thats your deal to deal with in your own head. Im poor, and got blessed with a deal. I fix my own shit, and no problem. Dont throw your negative shit my way.

Wait, this isnt a tech board, its a flame session. This board has issues, and hahahahahaha I got a deal, to those who want to cry in their whiskey that they have 4 more years to pay off their car and come tear into me. Sorry you cant afford your car.

This site really sucks, too many flamethrowers. I just need info, you other retards that have some issue with whatever I have to say, and share no pertinent information, but instead, some stupid remarks.

Ill find a REAL tech site, because 90% of you people here have other mechanics working on your car, you cant ****ing make the payments, and youre all just generally pissed off. Dont ****ing blame me. YOURE the one with issues. I pay the same price for gas as you do, you dumb mudder****ers, and I pay for a house and all my other shit is paid for. My Falcon: PAID....my Fairlane: PAID....My Fairmont: PAID....And last but not least, my Taurus: EASILY PAID PAID PAID PAID $650 $650 $650 $650,

To all the nice people I met here in a short time, thanks for info and being cool. To these other piles of ass feces that corrupt this board, well, good you chased someone off. Its not even a techboard. Your parents didnt raise you right when you dont have something good to say STFU. Man, you ALMOST got me angry like you people are.

Good luck with this retarded ****ing site.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Dude, chill out.

Dont talk about how much this site sucks. When you havent even seen the half of it.

We (in this forum for the most part) know from experience about SHO's, I have had 4 SHO's all highly modified, all with performance chips. One that had to be custom dyno-tuned with a custom burnt LPM, which was a my full race spec supercharged, forged motort 400whp car. And another every possible bolt on minus forced induction SHO. And another all bolt on automatic SHO.

RTstabler is a moderator in this forum, and had had SHOs as well.

You say how tight your SHO is, SHOs are litteraly in the top 4 worst built Ford vehicles in terms of reliability and temperament. Its not just a car, its a whole differnet ball game.

A raced SHO, unless properly maintained is a dying SHO.

Heres a quick guide in SHO issues from, an expert.

Lesson #1 A raced SHO will have had alot of wheelspin, the differential is an open differential, and a weak one at that, too much wheel spin and your tranmission is a ticking time bomb, when the differential goes, it grenades your transmission. To stop this you need a quaife, ATB differential. www.quaife.com. Its $1200 plus install.

Less #2 A raced SHO owned by a kid that, did just that: beat on it while knowing nothing about it and claiming it has a racing chip that brings it to 9k RPM knows nothing about the car. The car needs a 60k mile service that replaces about $2000 in faulty parts (sensors, gaskets, valve shims, etc.) that unless you know what you have, will never do. To him it was cool, it was fast and it was cheap @ $650 its a throw-away car.

Lesson #4 SHOs have awful struts. A raced SHO will sag awfully in the rear, and need new springs and struts.

So since you say we are just a bunch of flamers and dont know what we're talking about, don't own the cars, and have no technical experience, you are completely wrong. RTStabler51 and I both have a wealth of knowledge. But you come on here acting like you know everything, we were just telling you that you got bogus info from the previous kid owner and you take it all personal, swearing like a school boy when he gets detention. And calling us all names and shit. Its and online public forum, if you cant take it get out.

What if you found SHOforum.com 1st and posted the same exact thread? You would have been anihilated. And that is the numberone SHO board on the net, with the most technical advice, the latest information and up to date information on modifications etc.

Stop with the hahahahaha's because there is a reason we don't own SHO's anymore, its because the HAHAHA's were always on us because the things always broke. You may have got a deal, until it breaks and costs you the price of the car to fix one stupid thing. SO the joke is not on us. But its really not on you either since you felt you got a good deal. Yes I payed alot more for my Lightning, however i have stepped up from SHO's to Mustangs, to Cobras, to even a Ranger in there! And onto the Lightning, and when the SVT Adrenaline comes out for $35k in 07, I will being buying that 12 sec. truck too. Just because i worked hard, worked my way up and can afford it.

This is what you should do before you act like you know it all about this car just because you have a bunch of paid off classic cars (which are all sweet by the way).

You need to go here:
www.shotimes.com
www.shoforum.com
www.superhighoutput.com
www.mid-westsho.com

Last edited:

Magik SHO

Established Member
Ha, if I even get a month out of it, its still worth the money I spent. I drive like a grammo 90% of the time anywas to conserve fuel. I think the wheels actually spun to a squeak about once in 500 miles. A dollar per mile. I guess I could make the car pay for itself when it gets into a dime per mile. And if it breaks, be sure I can fix it, unlike people who bring it to "the shop".

Ive seen this SHO section, and have my own lounges I hang out in. I guess I dont need to see the other half of the site. It seems like everybodys got a freakin mechanic and nobody here does anything on their own. Nobody here knows "tech". I dont need to hang out in a flamejob lounge where there really is no proper moderation.

Ive done burnouts in a 6 second Nostalgia Top Fuel Dragster thats part of the family, all this street stuff is pretty petty to me. REAL racing is under 8 seconds and involves at least a 90% mixture of Nitromethane. WHY would anybody spend so much for a high maintainence street vehicle, and just as much in gas, and then theres the service department (for those "techs" who have to go to the service department). Im glad you can afford it, good for you. Im the kind who has a junker, then get to that old gutted 62 Roundbody Falcon I have sitting on blocks on the family farm. If I had 35 grand, Id make that thing in the 8's without lame NOS. Weighs 600 lbs as it sits right now.

I NEVER acted like I knew about the SHO, why do you think I was asking questions, and mudslinging coming back for a simple question about an idiot kid who said this and that, I just wanted to see the possibility of this happening, where he COULD have put this in the EEC. I dunno, he said it was soldered or wired in. No answers here, BUT, alot of jerks that know nothing about SHOs just making some negative crap about this or that.

Sorry for asking a fawking question, and Im no dumbass like some of you. I can fine tune pretty much anything on a 392 Chrysler blown with a Littlefield 671 and a Hilborn setup, pushing 1500 HP out of a filled cast block, and total weight is about 1500 lbs

808803_1_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/808803

SOME of you guys are counting nickels and dimes in horsepower comparison, but paying big bucks per horse for something that can "beat a vette". Come out to some nostalgia meets at the strips and see where the real power is....by trained hands in the biz since grass roots racing began. But they knew, and know, how to use a wrench.

Thanks for the linx, cause this one sucks.

I get 40% off at the Ford parts dept, including special orders. Thats always nice to have a dad thats been in the automotive industry for 45+ years. All other parts from any distributor I get at COST.

Anyways, didnt mean to rile up the cooler folk that were of decency to me. I just flat out feel like Im in the wrong bunch of "horsepower pinchers". I hope to build that gutted Falcon into something tremendous, so easy that its stripped down and ready for tubbing and rolling. Maybe one day.

Taurus=toy.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Haha, ok you've proven your point now.

Real racing is on a track, with right hand and left hand turns. But thats everyones own opinion.

If you really care to know about the car, go to the sites listed.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You have no idea to whom the people you are talking to. I've been around SHOs for the last 8 years of my life. I have enough knowledge on them to know you really have no idea about the specific car yourself. You asked questions, you got answers. If you don't like the responses to your question research yourself so you can ask questions with some meat to them.

Are there chips for the SHOs? Yes. Next?
Can the SHO run at 9k? Yes, but why when the power dropps off at 6800? Next?

Most of us had SHOs at one point and have moved on. You have just been introduced to the SHO world. Although I love SHOs, I doubt I'll own another due to the cost of maintenance.

Keep the attitude up and you'll be gone.

Last edited:

Magik SHO

Established Member
OK, Ill try again...

What chips might be available for 1st gen SHO's, and what are different methods of installation (EX: plug-in, wired or soldered in, etc.)?

So when I pull the CPU or EEC I can look to see if there is one.

Also, the EEC is located behind the kick panel on pass. side, right, like most Fords of that era?

Hey, my apologies RTS, some people just cant help but say things when they arent able to help.

Essentially, what do I look for when pulling the CPU EEC, do I have to open it, is there a plug in slot designed by Ford to import aftermarket chips like some CPU's for the plug in type.

I hope thats meaty enough, though I have more questions, as long as theres less badgering by certain people, and more information sharing by those who may know.

Chris: Just curious, is that a 12 second truck in the slalom?

Red03SVTVert

New to the game
Established Member
You guys coulda made it simple and told him to open the glove box. squeeze in the sides, pull it doen and look for the silver box called the computer. There will be a sticker on said silver box which is called the computer. If there is no sticker, then there should be a chip there plugged into a slot that the sticker covered.......how bout you do that sir....check the computer....if there is a chip there you will be able to pull it out............lets go from there.....

Magik SHO

Established Member
Thanks man, Ill check it out tomorrow. I appreciate the response.

I figured thered be a sealed auxiliary port for an aftermarket chip on the CPU, EEC whatever. If its unsealed, look in there for the chip? OK.

Anyways, I hate taking off kickpanels to get to the CPU, and digging it out of way up there practically in the dash. Glad its behind the glove compartment instead.

Glad for your information. Thanks, red03svt, mighty decent of you.

I just get riled up when my question turns into a humor fest with no resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread