9:1 Teksid, big boost KB 2.8H, Heads/Cams/Exhaust/Built 8.8 + suspension -- BUILD

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Been kind of quiet for a lil while with the car, over a year ago in August '11 I had a brand new OEM cobra pump let loose on my car after being in my forged shortblock for about 9k miles and 2.5 years. Still not sure of the culprit but it was a 100% failure. Not much was salvageable from the old setup. Basically anything that had an oil touched surfaced with a bearing needed replaced. This motor was running flawless after running low 10's and in the 9's the whole summer with it. It was a simple forged 8.5:1 motor, stock heads, and stock cams, MAC 1-5/8th LT and 2.5" xpipe. KB 2.8H @ 26psi.

So I decided a good look at my goals for the car and where I wanted to go with it in the future and decided on a prospective build, and started to gather parts pieces, and ideas along the lay which leads me to where I am now which is still not finished.

Make no doubts about it, No ****s will be given in the boost department, it will be 25+ psi. This car has 110 or higher in it at all times, I dont play with pump gas, and E85 is not available here.

Here is where I am now....

Teksid 9:1 done by ADB Racing here locally. Custom Arias 9:1 Pistons, stainless chrome plated rings, all ARP 2000 hardware. Upgraded timing chain pivot point mounts (8mm vs 6mm standard) 9/16 Studded crank to disperse the load on the crank snout as they are a failure point with the large loads dispersed both torsionally and laterally.

6237A8D5-4074-40B3-BCF6-F0040815E232-1403-0000013409D5C1BF_zps003589ab.jpg

Studded Crank
E8E3E897-4C5B-476E-A4C0-004634D8EA45-1403-00000133DDD87D58_zps29ef3cfc.jpg

Comp 106500 Grinds 242/240 .475/.450 on 114 LSA. Why this grind? The deal was good NIB, and they were within a few degrees respectively on both intake/exhaust on what I was gonna have custom made. I will hammer down cam timing as I start to throw things together to shore up some some stuff. I also decided to stud the cams after to many cam bolt failures. These will be complimented by a full Cloyes timing set, billet gears on cams, primary, crank gear, roller chains etc.

266BD576-777A-4E4F-9C41-62474E24C525-1403-00000133E6278899_zps539a20da.jpg

Cam Washers....bad mofo's from ARP.
d9675500.jpg

Melling oil pump (save the bashing) Its a better housing the stock, the gears are billet etc. Had thought about a TSS but decided to go this way.

0985ec99.jpg

Pistons new
082b8ddb.jpg

New heads after coming back from the machine shop after the surface was being cleaned up. Leaving nothing to chance here. They are stock port right now, but I am possibly leaving on a deployment so I might send this out if I deploy. Otherwise I will have no problems making close to 800+ on these with my compression, boost, cam, and exhaust selection. $2500 into a set of heads for portwork at this point is hard to swallow.

a4071e25.jpg

PAC Racing springs/retainers for the heads, good up to .500 lift.
49761b77.jpg

Picked up some better tubes from KB for the intercooler housing, they are shorter and I am having the modified for stock length. These WONT leak like the stockers do sometimes.

9dad8dd8.jpg

AC Removed, I just dont need it in Alaska, I havent used AC here since I moved here in 1997. 35-40lbs off the front. GOODBYE.

91800a64.jpg

The exhaust I have not bought yet but will going with either 1-3/4x 3" ARH & 3" Xpipe or the 1-7/8th versions. Will be using a set of either Magnaflow race mufflers dumped or stainless works mufflers dumped. I have installed a couple of sets of ARH headers lately and i'm sold on their fit and quality. They have my $$$

Another big equation is the IRS vs Solid debate....I had this build in early 2011 and never got it installed after I got wrapped up chasing a 9 second pass with the IRS/6spd. Needless to say this will go in, and be complemented with a good setup. I already have a PA Racing K member and QA-1 coilovers up front.

LoPro Racecars built 8.8 in SN-95 width Jigged, welded, braced. 3.90 gears (max effort 6speed combo this is the gear) Moser 35 spline spool, 35 spline race axles, Cobra pinion flange, Strange Race Brakes. Moser rear end cover. Baseline suspension lowers, and Pro Launch 2 relocated uppers. Baseline Chromoly ARB (anti-rollbar) I also have dual adjustables for all 4 corners which will installed. 60ft times in the 1.3x range will become common placed. The parts are there, just need to hit the setup.

409551ab.jpg

Ultimate Goal for this combo is to dip into the 5's in the 1/8 with a clutch assisted factory style 6 speed T56, and go sub 9.50's @ close to 145 regularly. Im hoping to have the car at about 3450 with me in it.

Toasted oil pump

f1b4759d.jpg

ed29cce5.jpg

eca34233.jpg

64c213f4.jpg

The tops looked very good. Manley Piston's held up good
f4884134.jpg

Right before I yanked the motor, and yes the Inlet is custom. Only 4 were made by strictly performance back in the mid 2000's....

f6ea743a.jpg

KB + Inlet

kb_zps72c920e1.jpg

I will keep things updated as I can. Please post questions if you have any.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Very nice Allen.

Thanks, cant wait to get it done. Its been a while!

Sick Allen. Love the axle setup.

I just hope I can get it to work and get everything lined out so I can make this car doooooo workkkk out of 60ft.

Nice man, good luck!

Just trying to play catchup now hahah

Nice build !! Your pistons in the old motor look great for running 26 PSI boost !! Care to share who your tuner is ??

Eric Brooks @ Brooks Speed - tuned my car. It was done via email also thru datlogging and refinements. I had it dialed in at about 23 degrees, and 11.5:1 on 110 Sunoco Leaded Racegas.

I use to have one of those inlets. It's makes the supercharger install kind of a pita.

They are huge, I usually just pull the whole lower intake with the blower attached. I may actually cut the plastic cowl some with the airsaw to make it a tad easier for remove/install.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I know I havent updated this in a while. Been deployed since about November and looking to come back soon in the next couple months. The game plan is as follows....

BIG PARTS/HOLDUP--
Order my Intake cams from Comp Cams, wasnt happy with the 242 intakes which were to large for my taste. New Specs will be 226/240 .475/.450 on 114 Lobe Sep

Order 1-7/8th ARH Headers x 3" Collector & X-pipe.
All new gaskets Top to Bottom & Timing Kit will be on the way also.
Swap PRC valve springs into new heads

Also adding some smaller items like a 170 T-Stat, Cloyes Adjustable Gears, UPR Solid Motor Mounts, Lokar Dipstick. Powdercoated Timing Cover, Valve Covers, and Pulley bridge.

Im hoping to have everything back together by July 4th or so. Once the motor gets tuned and making the power I am gonna make another couple 9 second passes with the IRS then the solid will go in, and shit will get serious.

Im also trying to find a 55 Gallon Drum of Shell Advanced URT since it seems to be the best thing besides E85. Cant get E85 up here in Alaska.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread