91 octane in cali

claybeatz

Established Member
Just bought a 13 from Wisconsin, she is on her way to california.. we only have 91 octane here unfortunately, is it even worth doing bolt ons or getting a tune with this fuel?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ca 91 is fine, who ever tunes it needs to know that Ca 91 has up to 10% ethanol in it. Seen some email tuners forget that an the car is running scary lean at WOT.

Stock will be no issues on 91.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Congratz on the new ride en route. From what I remember you can safely get a Tune, Larger Ford Racing or VMP Twin Throttle Body, and I guess a New Cai. Also heard DO NOT get a smaller Pulley on *91. I use Chevron, no Tune runs well. AED is a very good Tuner. Enjoy the New Ride...

claybeatz

Established Member
Ca 91 is fine, who ever tunes it needs to know that Ca 91 has up to 10% ethanol in it. Seen some email tuners forget that an the car is running scary lean at WOT.

Stock will be no issues on 91.

Thanks for easing my worries. I'm going to try to get used to the car for a few months before doing anything. Good to see you are in norcal as well. I'm in the bay area up by San Jose

claybeatz

Established Member
Congratz on the new ride en route. From what I remember you can safely get a Tune, Larger Ford Racing or VMP Twin Throttle Body, and I guess a New Cai. Also heard DO NOT get a smaller Pulley on *91. I use Chevron, no Tune runs well. AED is a very good Tuner. Enjoy the New Ride...
I appreciate that, I will keep and in mind when it is time for a tune!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks for easing my worries. I'm going to try to get used to the car for a few months before doing anything. Good to see you are in norcal as well. I'm in the bay area up by San Jose

Sounds good, san jose also has a local car club norcalRPM.

For tunning i would definitely contact @Shaun@AED.

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
If you tune yourself, set the stoich to 14.08 - 14.10. If you do not, kindly remind your tuner to do this. If he is any good, he should already know this, but by reminding him, it shows you know what you're talking about...

darksykal

Established Member
I wouldn't think any mods are worth it in Cali. NY isn't much better but I've just read horror stories of Cali police ticketing for even different intakes.

RPM act needs to happen like yesterday

claybeatz

Established Member
I kindve figured, thanks for the input guys. Its been a long time since I've been in the mustang game. Last car I owned was a 96 cobra. I'm sure you'll hear from me when I get the car next week hopefully. I'll probably have tons of questions lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I kindve figured, thanks for the input guys. Its been a long time since I've been in the mustang game. Last car I owned was a 96 cobra. I'm sure you'll hear from me when I get the car next week hopefully. I'll probably have tons of questions lol

Unfortunately for the 13/14 gt500 ford racing aka now ford performance did not give alot of smog legal aftermarket support like they did for the 07-12 GT500s. Ideally in san jose you have E85 a a few stations now. Id talk to Shaun about possibly E85 and 91 tunes.

claybeatz

Established Member
No need to leave it stock. Still lots of modded cars running around.

I would be down but my only concern is anything I would like to do would require a tune and after scouring threads these past few days it seems like now the epa has the ability to detect that the tune was flashed at some point even if the stock tune is what is currently on the car.

And even though I have friends out here in cali with hookups my worst fear is getting reffed and having to go buy a new ecu at the dealership or whatever bs they are making us do these days

nrmustang

Established Member
So here are my questions:

1. How many guys here are running California 91 on stock tune/stock cars?
2. How do you drive your car? Be honest
3. How many miles have you put on your car w/CA 91?
4. Any personally experience issues or mechanical failures with stock tune/stock cars on CA 91?
5. Any first hand verifiable knowledge of issues or mechanical failures with stock tune/stock cars on CA 91?

As many of you have commented on, California is strict, and no one wants to be in trouble with the law. Period. I have been told the stock tune is not good for Ca 91, and has caused mechanical failures in 13/14's. I felt my 14 was fast enough and am content to leave it alone. But hearing the news that the stock tune is a bit hot out of the box makes me nervous. Do you take a chance and leave it stock? Buy a back up trinity block? Or do you take a chance and tune it - even if you're not looking for more power - to keep your expensive engine safe?

Ray Lucca

Established Member
In S. Ca. Stock Tune '14, had a mis-fire, 2 plugs we're loose from the factory. Dealer re-set everything, cleared the codes, Installed New Stock Motorcraft Plugs, installed them properly at .32 Gap. Car runs fine, I use Chevron *91 "Premium". Wish we had 93 or 94 at the Pump, but the datalogs looked good on the '91 Gas. Going to change the Fuel Filter at the next service.

Users who are viewing this thread