93 Cobra Differences

SVT1993

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
If memory is correct in 93 the changed the pistons. In 92 from what I remember they used a fordged piston
So are the 1993 Cobra pistons forged?

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
There were actually two reds available. Vibrant Red (1,881 made) and Performance Red (the orange/red color). There were only 9 Performance Red Cobras produced Paint code EY. :-D

I researched this more and there is a descrepancy about the two reds. Some publications call them both Vibrant Red clearcoat/ non clearcoat, and some refer to the other as Performance Red (code EY).

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
thought I would throw this in for people who want to repaint their wheels

Paint# DBC33896 in PPG brand paint.

This seemed to be an appropriate thread as any

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I dont work in a body shop so unless it was brought to my attention I would not have a reason to know about the paint company.

If they are close to DuPont then its definately a good paint supplier.

Thanks for the info.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
I know this was discussed a little already but I thought this detailed info should be on this thread.

93SVTCobra said:
There were 9 red Cobra's built that were not clearcoated. I've seen at least one that existed outside of Ford. There are threeways to tell if it is one of the 9 non-clearcoated Cobra's. First off it MUST be within the first 21 Cobra's built. Easy to determine based on the certificate. Secondly it MUST be built in the 8/92-12/92 timeframe. Lastly, the paint code is also different as well and MUST be EY not ES like all the other 93 Cobra's. All three of these conditions MUST be met for it to REALLY be one of the 9 non clearcoated cars. Cobra #19 is the only one that went directly to a customer.

Speedfreek said:
I think there was another that made it's way to an individual. I remember bidding on a VR Cobra on Ebay a year or so ago it was #14 I think. The guy didn't know it was one of the 9 I had him send me a picture of the color code, and it was one of the 9. He said he bought it from Jackie Jones Ford as a demo. They told him the car had been used by Ford as a press car. He had all the documents and everything. I waited around til I missed out on it.

Last edited:

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
I'm glad someone else knows about the 9 EY code non-clearcoat Cobras. Ford called the ES code Rio red, like the 1994 Cobras. They called the EY code Vibrant red, which, I believe is the same color as ES, but without clearcoat. This info comes from Powerered By SVT by Jim Campisano. I actually joined this forum to find one of these 9 cars. Preferably 1 of the 2 with cloth interiors. I Figured I'd better do a search before I asked about them. That's how I found this thread. (Great thread, btw!) Does anyone know where any of these cars are?

GEMELLI

I want a Cobra R!
Established Member
I'm glad someone else knows about the 9 EY code non-clearcoat Cobras. Ford called the ES code Rio red, like the 1994 Cobras. They called the EY code Vibrant red, which, I believe is the same color as ES, but without clearcoat. This info comes from Powerered By SVT by Jim Campisano. I actually joined this forum to find one of these 9 cars. Preferably 1 of the 2 with cloth interiors. I Figured I'd better do a search before I asked about them. That's how I found this thread. (Great thread, btw!) Does anyone know where any of these cars are?

Users who are viewing this thread