93 Cobra... Part Out or Race?

Litemup86

Established Member
I thought that I'd post on here to get the general consensus on where to go with this possible project. I recently came across a complete 1993 Cobra, Black with Grey cloth, that had been hit in the right front and was badly in need of some TLC. The car had just been in the accident a month or two before and it did drive, but it hadn't been taken care of for a long time before that. The car is bone stock and complete other than a set of headers, an off-road H-pipe, a K&N cone filter, and subframes. I was told by the previous owner that it had a "Salvage Title" that wasn't issued back from the state yet, and that it could be re-certified once repaired and issued a "Rebuilt Title." With all that said, I bought it since I've always wanted a Black '93 Cobra.

I've since pulled the nose, front fenders, and hood off of the car to be pleasantly surprised and see that it appears really straight. It needs a core support, a driver front inner fender (front of the shock tower only), a fender, a nose, and a hood... most of which I already can get my hands on. Looking down the frame rail on the side of the hit, it doesn't appear to be bent at all and the shock tower and back from there looks perfect. A frame machine might tell a little more, but it passed the initial eye ball exam.
Upon purchase, I made a bill of sale and the previous owner and I signed at time of purchase with the agreement that the salvage title was to follow when it got in from the state. After a few months and no title, I researched the VIN to find that the car basically had a certificate of destruction and couldn't ever be titled again. It can either be parted out and I can easily get my money back… or I can turn it into a race car.

Optimally, I’d like to build a road race car and do some open tracking. Realistically thinking, I already have a '94 Lighting, an '03 Lightning, and an '86 coupe that I drag race. The coupe is in need of paint and some other aesthetic stuff and I don’t need a second race car right now. I don’t have the heart to part out the poor cobra and take the shell to the crusher. For now it sits, waiting to one day maybe be a race car.
Anybody need a car to gut and turn into an open track car? I have a couple friends that want to buy it and part it out. I can do that, and I might as well make the money. I don’t want to sell it dirt cheap for someone else to do that. Where do I go from here? Looks right now like it’s going to age under a cover.

Here's some pics of when I rescued it... I can take some more of it now that the front end is apart. Yes, there's a GT rearend in it giving it the screwed up rear backspacing. Yes, I snagged the original cobra disc brake rearend when I took the car. The gears are trashed.

34.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

drkhrse

Established Member
Depending on your price it is just what I’m looking for to turn into a drag car (already have open track 93 cobra), however you are really far away so transport to Idaho would need to be considered.

Send me a PM with your price. I'm leaving for the RMMR in the AM, so my response may be slow.

Speedfreek

Established Member
If you don't need the money I would just put it to the side and let it sit til you have the time and money to fix it right. It isn't hurt bad at all. And 10 years from now when cars in that condition are bringing a mint you will wish you still had it. IMO I would just let it sit and slowly gather all the things it needs to restore it in the future.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
It looks like the rearend and front rotors may have been changed to GT parts, because the wheels look like they are set in a little more than normal.

oops! I am stupid , I didnt read your entire post at first.

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
No clue man, but I freakin' love your 86. I've seen it at the track a time or two. I saw it again several months ago at Silver Springs, and about crapped myself when I saw the incons on there. I've always loved incon cars as they put down some sick numbers.

kcp203

Established Member
I just can't understand how that car was issued a cert. of destruction for what is basically pretty minor damage.

Litemup86

Established Member
I'm really not looking to sell the car, since I'm not dying for the money. A few have PM'ed me and I don't really have a price. I don't even know what it's worth. If it were a "titled car," it would be worth a few grand I'd think. It runs and is all there. I bet I could part it out for close to that, but then the car's gone.

I had the same thought process as Speedfreak and I'd love to hold on to it and fix it up later, but it still won't be able to be driven on the street. If I build it for the track, I can't even drive it to the track without the possibility of being pulled over and in trouble. Is it worth sinking 10 grand into to restore to not be able to drive it to a car show?

Front rotors definately appear to be GT as well.

Thanks Kevin, I'll be taking the car to the Howell Branch/Semoran show this Saturday. You ever go up there? The car's finally back on the road after the new TKO600 and I'm running open exhaust trying to figure what I want to do with it. It's a riot to drive right now, sounds like a darn Street Outlaw car.

Lastly, here's the scenario I got on how the car got the bad title. I don't know the exact numbers, but this is probably close. The kid said that the insurance company offered him $1,000 or so and a "rebuildable" title, or say $3,000 (some larger amount) and the car would have a "salvage" title. He took the larger amount and then probably bought the car back. I paid him a couple grand and was told that it could be fixed, recertified by the DOT or whomever, then re-issued a "rebuilt" title. My friend's mom works at the DMV, ran the VIN, and said that it has the worst classification you can. I'm researching further to see if I can plead and get it re-issued a title for the road.

stangkrew94

"First On Race Day"
Established Member
I took this right after he was done working on it.This Is the only photo I have right now! Sorry. Cam Phone pic. But you get the Idea.

2.jpg

Just thought I would Help you out Litemup86!

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
you need to get the title in your hands , then you will know! I bought a 93 cobra in Florida with a certificate of destruction, but since i purchaced it before 8-2003 I can still repair it and get a texas reconditioned title. check with other states to see who will title it for you,

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Thanks Kevin, I'll be taking the car to the Howell Branch/Semoran show this Saturday. You ever go up there? The car's finally back on the road after the new TKO600 and I'm running open exhaust trying to figure what I want to do with it. It's a riot to drive right now, sounds like a darn Street Outlaw car.

What time is the show? Is that the monthly show I've heard something about. Let me know a time, and maybe I'll swing by.

Users who are viewing this thread