93 Cobra Vs 2004 ss pickup

Stinger99

Established Member
My buddy has a ss awd pickup, I just bought a 93 cobra and his mouth is watering to race me.

He is giving me 3 cars and he will beat me by 1 he says.
he has no cats, K & N Filter, Chip.

what do you guys think?

My car is stock by the way.

Fire Pig

Established Member
Those SS trucks are slow but the torquey seat of the pants pull will make you feel otherwise.

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
They run 15.1 stock, it should be a drivers race if both vehicles left at the same time. With the 3 cars he is giving you he doesnt have enough to pull you in that brick with 4 wheels...

Unless he has secret mods lol

Stinger99

Established Member
I will be putting shorty headers and h-pipe before the race.

I told him i was doing that and he gave me the 4 cars, before that he was giving me 7...

Fire Pig

Established Member
Your upper speed and RPM range is not where your 5.0 shines youll run out of breath real quick.
The 345 Vortec 6.0 has a little performance on both ends of the power band similar to an LSX engine!

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
Well then he probably has some joose cause no way in hell that truck can reel you in after a 4 car lead and still win with those mods.... Its an auto no advantage there, can u drive???? I mean atleast decently??? If so, you got it, run even, see how that turns out, and please for the love of d cup melons, film this or else FTL!!

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
My 92 Fox with a tired engine, BBK catted H, MGW and welded flows on street tires ran a 14.6 with 2 10 subs and misc stereo equipment....if you can drive you should be fine...unless your fox is a turd

Stinger99

Established Member
will bumping the timing help any?

yes i can handle myself behind the wheel.

And yes it will be filmed.

My car was broken in by 68 year old man, so yea, i think it may be a turd.
it only has 77,000mi.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Those cobra's had gt-40 heads, and a diff cam, not the greatest but still... If the truck really runs 15.1 you'll have no problem. Saw a 93 Cobra on Dallas Mustangs Dyno with just weld in flows and a cai put 255 rwhp. And there are plenty of foxes that run 13-14's that are regular 5.0's.

JMO.

Oh, and I always used to run 14-16 deg of timing with the spout out when I was NA in my 95 5.0.

Last edited:

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
Those cobra's had gt-40 heads, and a diff cam, not the greatest but still... If the truck really runs 15.1 you'll have no problem. Saw a 93 Cobra on Dallas Mustangs Dyno with just weld in flows and a cai put 255 rwhp. And there are plenty of foxes that run 13-14's that are regular 5.0's.

JMO.

Oh, and I always used to run 14-16 deg of timing with the spout out when I was NA in my 95 5.0.

I over looked the 93 Cobra part lmfao...

Should be an easier win...

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
That guy is clueless. No way you should ever lose to that terd pickup.

StangJason

Established Member
I've seen basicly stock 93 Cobra's running high 13s but the norm is mid to low 14s. I think you should be a good race for him if you go from a dig...he's stupid to give you any car lengths if he's stock.

StangJason

Established Member
will bumping the timing help any?

yes i can handle myself behind the wheel.

And yes it will be filmed.

My car was broken in by 68 year old man, so yea, i think it may be a turd.
it only has 77,000mi.

About 13 or 14 degrees timing is usually great for timing but you've got to run good 93 octane and a short belt bypassing the smog pump is some free power. If you want to get into or close to the 12s while staying close to stock you can go with an off road x-pipe with catback, 3.55 or 3.77 gears, March pulleys, Steeda shifter (or another brand of you preference), a good set of drag radials (maybe go with a pair of replica 15 inch 93 Cobra wheels with MT radials) and last and maybe not necessary an aluminum driveshaft. Oh and some good free mods are icing your intake, removing you spare and any unused seats. I wouldn't do all of these and icing the intake isn't slways feesible but every little bit helps.

siLversLeigh

Established Member
My buddy had one. It left hard but instantly fell on it's face. Didn't pull at all. Aren't they like 5500 lbs? But they do have nice interior.

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
Your upper speed and RPM range is not where your 5.0 shines youll run out of breath real quick.
The 345 Vortec 6.0 has a little performance on both ends of the power band similar to an LSX engine!

the vortech 6.0 is an LSx motor.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
You got this one. You can definitely advance your timing to about 14*. If you can afford it, 3.73's are your best bet for gears. I think you'll take him pretty easily

Users who are viewing this thread